Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naps

Options
  • 30-08-2012 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what you babies sleep schedules are like? We can't seem to get it right in our house!
    She sleeps for 1&1/2 hrs from 9.30-11ish - and then is falling asleep tired by 1ish?!? Then either just sleeps for half an hr then and it's a struggle until 3 with us trying to get her to sleep, if we take her up she's tired by 2-3 again so we try to keep her nap between 1/3.30. Then she needs a catnap between 5-6 or literally screams for the evening - sge missed it last night and it wasn't fun!
    Then bed at about 7.30 - she wakes about 5.30..... I hear her playing by herself til about 7.... I get her up at 7.30..
    I'm wondering how to get her to sleep until about 6.30-7 in the morn and I'd get her up then, it's as if she's not tired enough during the night to last'
    I know she's doing really well at 6&1/2 months but the 5am starts are exhausting me even tho I don't need to go into her as I can't get back to sleep! I don't think she'd stay up later at night.
    How do / did ye work it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

dublinlady, So at 6.5 months she is going to bed at 19:30 , but waking up at 5:30 or thereabouts

Do you do a feed later in the evening , say 10/11pm ?

Could be she is hungry ?

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Davidth88 wrote: »
    dublinlady, So at 6.5 months she is going to bed at 19:30 , but waking up at 5:30 or thereabouts

Do you do a feed later in the evening , say 10/11pm ?

Could be she is hungry ?

Good luck

Oops I seem to have managed to post this thread twice? Can it be merged?

Thanks David,

She eats alot during day and when wakes she just plays and sings and doesn't look for a feed? We haven't done 11pm feed as she didn't want it when offered - would just close lips and refuse! She won't even finish the 7pm bottle alot of nights! Ideally I don't want to be giving her a later feed as I'm asleep by then!!!! :) I wonder could she be hungry without letting me know?
    I think she'd give out to me if was hungry? It seems to be a wake to play issue!!

Hi

Ok, is the room really really dark, we have blackout blinds + curtains .......?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

I'd cut out that last bottle at seven and try give her one at nine instead. I know it might mean listening to her cry for those couple of hours for a few evenings but it would be worth it if it worked. The only other thing to remember is she is sleeping a full night at 6.5 months, it's the timing she goes down at. Alot of 6 month olds don't sleep through the night yet. My little one was still waking for 3 feeds a night at that age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

dublinlady wrote: »
    Just wondering what you babies sleep schedules are like? We can't seem to get it right in our house!
    She sleeps for 1&1/2 hrs from 9.30-11ish - and then is falling asleep tired by 1ish?!? Then either just sleeps for half an hr then and it's a struggle until 3 with us trying to get her to sleep, if we take her up she's tired by 2-3 again so we try to keep her nap between 1/3.30. Then she needs a catnap between 5-6 or literally screams for the evening - sge missed it last night and it wasn't fun!
    Then bed at about 7.30 - she wakes about 5.30..... I hear her playing by herself til about 7.... I get her up at 7.30..
    I'm wondering how to get her to sleep until about 6.30-7 in the morn and I'd get her up then, it's as if she's not tired enough during the night to last'
    I know she's doing really well at 6&1/2 months but the 5am starts are exhausting me even tho I don't need to go into her as I can't get back to sleep! I don't think she'd stay up later at night.
    How do / did ye work it?

That sounds pretty similar to what our routine used to be... 3, sometimes 4 naps of 45 mins to an hour.
    9:30 to 10:30 nap
    10:30 to 1pm awake
    1pm to 1:45 nap
    1:45 to 4pm awake
    4pm to 4:45 nap
    4:45 to 7:15 awake
    7:30 sleep for the night. Up at 6:30am and repeat.

I just went to bed earlier myself, and got up early.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys!

Have black out blind but I don't think it's dark enough now that u say it! They let in light at the sides! Mite try find some curtains!

I totally appreciate shes doing an amazing stretch - I really do! I just wish I could stretch it more....!! Just because I feel she's capable!! Plus I'm knackered and in early pregnancy again so could do with the extra 2 hrs until 7.30!!! :)

4 naps - thats interesting and may suit her better! Only thing is everything I read says should be almost cutting a nap - that is just not going to happen!! I have a little sleepy Gonzales!!

7:30 is stretching it TBH , but I understand where you are comng from !

We have a 1year old ( 13 month ) , and she goes to bed at 7pm , awake again around 6am, I get her up for change/breakfast around 6:45 before I go to work. We have been like that for about 6 months.

We used to do a 10pm feed until about 6 months ago.

The routine she has is roughly

6:40 wake... breakfast
    10:-10:30 lunch , bed by 10:45
    sleep until 12:30-13:00
    snack/drink around 13:00-14:00
    dinner around 5
    bottle around 6:30

bed at 7 ( which she is hanging for , if we miss this slot she does not settle )

The reason for the early lunch/nap is because we have a child in 1st year and have to go and fetch her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Oh i know what ya mean about the early starts in early pregnancy dublin lady. My eldest is in secondary school now so it's a half six start in the mornings now and i've just started my second trimester. Only thing you can really do is try and keep her up that little bit later in the evenings to get her to sleep on in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Thumby wrote: »
    Only thing you can really do is try and keep her up that little bit later in the evenings to get her to sleep on in the mornings.

I tried keeping A up a little later to hopefully get her to sleep until 7 rather than 6.30. It had the opposite effect!! When we put her to bed at 8.30 instead of 8, she would wake at 6 rather than 6.30!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I was full sure I posted in here?

The general jist was, early to bed, early to rise. Ours go to be at 7 but the baby wakes up at 5.30 for a feed and goes back, but they're both up by 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

we're a 3-4 nap house too.

630 up.
    8-9 nap
    awake
    1130-1 nap
    awake
    3-345 nap.
    awake
    bed 7 and sleep straight through.

if she doesn't sleep for the long nap she generally has 2 short naps around 11 and 130 and her 3 nap is around 4. If we keep her up past 7 she sleeps worse as shes overtired and will wake a few times but if she goes at 7 she stays asleep. Shes 5months

The general jist was, early to bed, early to rise. Ours go to be at 7 but the baby wakes up at 5.30 for a feed and goes back, but they're both up by 7.

I'm so sorry but managed somehow to post thread twice! Had said earlier to see if they could be merged? Not sure if any mods saw tho, but I saw your post - thanks a mil!

Getting a little confused now - hard to know whether she should be in bed earlier or later!
    I think I was hoping for 2-3 longer naps where I think it's more likely to be 3-4 shorter ones!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My guy is 7 months,

Wakes at 7am, boob feed, new nappy, back to sleep till 10am
    nap 12-1
    nap 3-4
    nap 6-7
    bed 9pm till 7am

in saying that, last night he woke at 5:30 and drank a 8 oz bottle as well as the usual food.

He has two bowls of food, about 6 ice cubes of puréed dinner each.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I'm so sorry but managed somehow to post thread twice! Had said earlier to see if they could be merged? Not sure if any mods saw tho, but I saw your post - thanks a mil!

Getting a little confused now - hard to know whether she should be in bed earlier or later!
    I think I was hoping for 2-3 longer naps where I think it's more likely to be 3-4 shorter ones!!

Oh! You're grand, I thought maybe my predictive text posted something naughty and it got bopped lol

I don't think going to bed later at night will help. Our 2 no.matter what time you put them to bed at are awake at 7.

She will get there eventually in her own time. At 6 months ours look 3 short naps. But it was never a set thing. Now at 10 months he has 1 long nap at 10am and no nap in the afternoon. He's hardcore! Lol but matter the nap schedule, he Is still up early

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

our daughter sleeps till about 7 or half past. but she only has two nap during the day... by her choice not ours. her days would usually be as follows (she's 5 months)

7/7.30 ish up and 7oz
    10/10.30 ish brekkie usually baby rice and fruit.
    then bottle and usually nap from 11 till 1.
    7oz at 2ish
    dinner at 5 and 5oz bottle nap till about 7
    then i keep her up till half nine. 7oz bottle and bed by ten ish

some days she might nap.more. some days never but she still never goes to her cot till after 9.30

she thankfully fell into this herself. but is doing well

i had to black out the velux window and i double lined the curtains cuz she is a "its bright lets get up" baby. but guineys do that black out material so cheap. i just made the blind.

also..too hot or too cold can factor into it too.

maybe try a few oz of a topup bottle around seven then a full one around 9? that's what we were doing but her solids cut out the topup bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

E seems to be tired roughly every 3 hours, at 9 months of age.

6 am wake-up, bottle
    7 to 8.30 am nap
    8.30 to 11.30 brekkie, playtime
    11.30 to 12ish nap
    12ish to 3ish lunch n playtime
    3ish to 3.30ish nap
    3.30 to 5.30 dinner, bath
    bed & bottle at 5.30, sleep through til 6 am

(been trying like crazy to move the bedtime to a bit later but not successful thus far - starting work again soon, and would like to see my child when I get home, but if we keep him up past 5.30, he turns into the demon child from hell, not worth it...)

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

How do / did ye work it?

well e is now sleeping until 7 or 7.30 and sometimes 8. she was waking at 6.30 but i sopped going into her as she wasnt looking for me and she would fall back asleep. a few weeks later she seemed to start waking a little later by herself. so she goes down at 7.30 and has a breastfeed and is asleep by 8 or 8.30 on a bad night.

lately she has decided to have 3 short naps. this is roughly her routine
    up at 7/8 breastfeed
    9 breakfast
    10ish 30min nap
    11.30ish 5oz bottle
    1ish dinner/ nap either before or after dinner!
    3.30ish 8oz bottle
    4/4.30 nap
    5.30ish supper
    7.30 bed for the night!!

do you have toys in the cot? the only thing in e's cot is her winnie comforter thing. she sometimes chats to it or bangs the doodie around but wil then go back to sleep. maybe if you have toys in there she is waking up, seeing the toys and getting stimulated and therefore cant go back to sleep. also try the blackout blinds and curtains. we have both! with them they dont really know its morning and cant see too much things to stimulate them and might nod back off, well thats what my little one does!

hopefully by you not going into her and the rrom being dark she will start to not wake so early!!!;)

Advertisement