Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is this how we are?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

What was she expecting from the Ballygar - Glenamaddy - Creggs area? Seriously? Why is she living in those areas? It explains the bitterness of the articles so.

I hope she stays clear from the Annual Ballygar Carnival.
    Seriously, WTF is this supposed to mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

What was she expecting from the Ballygar - Glenamaddy - Creggs area? Seriously? Why is she living in those areas? It explains the bitterness of the articles so.

I hope she stays clear from the Annual Ballygar Carnival.

That journalists made some far points about the state of the schools and the rip off Ireland culture and the lack of trust we have with each other. But to piss and moan about rain (especially in that region), we can't be blamed for that. As for the denistry, oh lord , she has being clearly scared by the "local talent". The boozing figures, funny, you think for a bunch of Swiss (is she German or Swiss ?) they would not be getting your facts arseways . Music fair point, but the tourists want it so we are only obliging. Bar Meat and Bear, what great cultural aspect do most of the world take from Germany/Switzerland? Yogel?

When you have a Kraut lecturing another nation, just think Basil Fawlty and the funny walk.

Oh well, we all know what Oscar Wilde said about publicity

she grew up in the German countryside and in my experience the countryside is the countryside no matter where you are-it embodies both the negative and the positive. She never felt at home in Germany. there is a type of German who come s to the green isle to find themselves. maybe after a few years she suddenly realised no matter where you live its all very similar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭Oarrack Bama

With the emphasis on the dental well being of the Irish you would think she was a dentist - you would not be far off!

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antje_Joel

Prior to her journalism career, she worked as a pediatric nurse, dental assistant, photographic assistant, and architect.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Disgraceful article. I like the way one person who has a dental deformity as a result of incest happens to be " a scientist, he must know". I have never met anyone who has a rodent like jaw due to incest. I'd say he was taking the piss out of her and didn't realise she actually believed him.

Nor have I ever heard of anyone being advised to get a DNA test done before marriage, to prevent the spread of this alleged dental deformity!

I appreciate she may be trying to be tongue in cheek - the way she tries to call the Irish racist, while at the same time slating a whole nation based on dubious statistics and sources. You would have to be a fool to write that article in all seriousness and not realise you looked like a racist and a very poor journalist

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Seriously, WTF is this supposed to mean?

Those areas are **** holes. Hardly the type of villages that you want to use to promote Ireland. Knowing the people from those areas (family included), there is an element of truth what she had said. It is no different to what a Dubliner would suggest

Less of the Text Speak

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

With the emphasis on the dental well being of the Irish you would think she was a dentist - you would not be far off!

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antje_Joel

:D

Sounds like she is a jack of all trades and a master of none. She does not sound like he knew what she wanted "Prior to her journalism career, she worked as a pediatric nurse, dental assistant, photographic assistant, and architect."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Rynox45

I can't believe that firstly, this was allowed to be published and secondly, someone can be such a rude bitch (irony) in a public forum.

This collection of tripe starts by debunking the stereotypical image of Ireland before systematically rebuilding an image formed by her half arsed and witted observations.
    What's most glaring to me is the willingness with which she's blatantly racist while calling the Irish racist. She's written this article for a foreign publication, like some gobshite slanting his housemates behind their backs, scathing about how bad everything in Ireland is, how stupid we all are, how full of ourselves we are and how our teeth are terrible? And then calls us racist? She literally calls us the result of inbreeding and then heavily implies we're all racists.

She's clearly got an anti-Irish agenda of some sort and it's hard to know how deeply she harbours it. Reading the end of her article it can easily be read as though she sees the Irish as a blight on the world which must be removed before any progress can be made.

If this turns out to be some article written as a publicity stunt, it's not going to be one of those 'laugh it off and move on' things, it's going to be (or at least I hope it will be, either way really) a career ending one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

i'm assuming the article was tongue in cheek
    I know germans are not renown for their humor- and I have a feeling this is a rather dire attempt at it..

that or she a rambling b!tch
    Ballygar is meh, not half as bad as she made out or as walrusgrumble is advocating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

read the article if you want to comment:rolleyes:

I don't care about the article, I'm referring to your comment "it's down to inbreeding, well to be fair it makes since." and the fact that you said you've noticed it.

• Advertisement

Those areas are **** holes. Hardly the type of villages that you want to use to promote Ireland. Knowing the people from those areas (family included), there is an element of truth what she had said. It is no different to what a Dubliner would suggest

Less of the Text Speak
    So if your family comes from Ballygar you must have the same "genetic deformities" as the natives? After all, you say there is an element of truth in what she says.

She is also generalising about the entire country, including Dublin, not a single village in Co Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I thought it was actually quite accurate. The weather is horrible. We drink loads. We are a group of shysters. And we have horrible teeth.

And the bit about racism. Considering half the replies in this thread mention hitler and other negative german stereotypes, I really can't see why she'd think we were racist .

For what it matters, we were the only country in the whole ****ing world to send condolences on the death of Hitler. We also refused to allow Jews admittamce when they were fleeing Europe. But hey, don't let that get in the way of your nazi rants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Horribly generalising article against Ireland. Only Cavan and Leitrim are as she describes.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

For fellow German speakers :o:o:o...

Loads of other articles about her experiences in Ireland.

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/autoren/Antje%20Joel

Grayson wrote: »
    I thought it was actually quite accurate. The weather is horrible. We drink loads. We are a group of shysters. And we have horrible teeth.

And the bit about racism. Considering half the replies in this thread mention hitler and other negative german stereotypes, I really can't see why she'd think we were racist .

For what it matters, we were the only country in the whole ****ing world to send condolences on the death of Hitler. We also refused to allow Jews admittamce when they were fleeing Europe. But hey, don't let that get in the way of your nazi rants.

Hi Antje

*waves*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Seriously idiotic article - largely hate and generalisation built up around a few kernels of hard truth.

Who won the bloody war, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The article is clearly being ironic. No need to get offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

dantbyhid wrote: »

Wow. Anyone else think we've found the German Samantha Brick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

When I started reading that article I thought it might contain some brutal truths. For instance the bit comparing how much ppl spend on alcohol with how much they spend on education, while a poor comparison, does highlight that our poor spending on education as a proportion of GDP for over a decade now, was and is a disgrace.

The article quickly degenerates into badly written quasi-racist stereotypes and hearsay. stories about how many inbred alcoholic mutants there are in Ireland are balanced with anecdotes about how racist we all are. For a German writer in a Swiss magazine to lambast Ireland for its failure to integrate immigrants is ridiculous: the seperation of Germany's Turkish community from the mainstream is a well-known and long-standing problem in Germany while the Swiss seem like a fairly xenophobic lot when it comes to immigrant's from non-European cultures (though they do have a vast number of foreign residents from other European states). Regardless of Ireland's problems with racism the fact remains that it is the only European country that experienced mass immigration without the emergence of an anti-immigration/racist fringe party/movement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I'm too drunk to read it all, but I am cuddly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

geeky wrote: »
    Wow. Anyone else think we've found the German Samantha Brick?

I was thinking more of Niamh Horan, but then I actively avoid finding out who this Samantha brick is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

From another article roughly translated:
    Here, everyone has a Mary and / or Jesus at home. A saint in the house is a must. Even for atheists.

Hmmm... I think sweeping (and incorrect) generalisations are her thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

Fuinseog wrote: »

I read it all and I think that if anything it would make the Swiss readers want to come here all the more, if just to see the 'inbred toothless' feckers getting pissed in the rain.
    You know when you're told NOT to go somewhere you become the curious little cat...The French in particular are notorious for this.

So thank you Antje Joel! - Fáilte Ireland can now ease up on marketing for another year at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Seriously, does anyone take her seriously enough to be offended by her ?

I don't pay any attention to any of the brands of worthless crap churned out by Irish hack journalists here so why would I bother paying attention to her brand of worthless crap ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Terribly written, terribly researched. Germany's answer to Alison O'Riordan.

Quorum wrote: »
    Germany's answer to Alison O'Riordan.
    Take that back, the author does not deserve that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Good to see the Germans have a Kevin Myers of their very own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

geeky wrote: »
    Wow. Anyone else think we've found the German Samantha thick as a Brick?

fyp :D

wprathead wrote: »
    i'm assuming the article was tongue in cheek
    I know germans are not renown for their humor- and I have a feeling this is a rather dire attempt at it..

that or she a rambling b!tch
    Ballygar is meh, not half as bad as she made out or as walrusgrumble is advocating

the article is meant for the swiss, probably the most straight laced people in europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Come on, this is clearly a pisstake by the author..
    According to the statistics, every third Irish teenage girl gets plastered at least ten times a month.

Plastered, is that the scientific term? What were the other options in the survey - "juz merry, lik", "buzzin'" & "off me gee"?

dantbyhid wrote: »

perhaps she became disillusioned with the dream.

I am sure there are Irish people who look down on boggers and crave for a life in rural France or Germany where they imagine the inhabitants will be ultra sophisticated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

raymann wrote: »
    thats the worst of ireland right there and some of what she says is true. that says she can kiss my arse and piss off if she doesnt like it.

Yeh we're not that far out in the Atlantic! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

She can go build a wall, plaster it and GET OVER it. Their good at that the Germans.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    the article is meant for the swiss, probably the most straight laced people in europe.

True that, googled swiss comedians
    not exactly a long list:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I feel stupider for reading that muck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

idk i think we're a grand bunch of lads

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kingtubby

Terrible article.

It is upsetting though seeing people here who are offended by this crap responding by making similar generalisations against the Germans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I'm glad to see us Irish being able to take it on the chin, as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Hitler wasn't German. :cool:

True,true .......... but these were !!!!!!!!

1. Herman Goring

2. Rudolf Hess

3. Heinrich Himmler

4. Ernst Rohm

5. Albert Speer

6. Reinhard Heydrich

7. Martin Bormann

8. Ernst "Putsy" Hanfstangl

9. Adolf Eichmann

10. Joseph Goebbels

Don't think anyone would be inviting any of them to your kids birthday party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

Oh no, somebody doesn't like us, whatever will we do?:eek::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

30 pages, at least, I reckon

idk about you but i'm goin out to mug some german and swiss tourists :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

It's a ridiculous article and I guess it was meant as a satire that just didn't work out funny, so the author failed miserably.
    You get funny accounts of different nationalities which are exaggerated but funny, so the whole thing works if someone knows how to do it correctly.

It's a ridiculous article and I guess it was meant as a satire that just didn't work out funny, so the author failed miserably.
    You get funny accounts of different nationalities which are exaggerated but funny, so the whole thing works if someone knows how to do it correctly.

i actually thought the drinking part was funny because it was true, the rest was dripple that was neither really true or really funny

Kat1170 wrote: »
    True,true .......... but these were !!!!!!!!

1. Herman Goring

2. Rudolf Hess

3. Heinrich Himmler

4. Ernst Rohm

5. Albert Speer

6. Reinhard Heydrich

7. Martin Bormann

8. Ernst "Putsy" Hanfstangl

9. Adolf Eichmann

10. Joseph Goebbels

Don't think anyone would be inviting any of them to your kids birthday party.

I do not think anyone would have invited Rohm to a kiddies party.

what did Speer do?
    what did hess do that merited 47 years in gaol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Yeah the article gets us about right. We are a nation of alcoholics with a scumbag problem. But so what I wouldn't live anywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

I think she was drunk when she wrote that article! :D

I wonder if one of our German speakers could read the article in it's original German and tell us if it's actually tongue in cheek? That could easily be lost in translation.

On the other hand this look very bad for Ballygar. I mean just how terrible must that town be to provoke such ire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

At the risk of Godwin-ing the thread... The Germans are the last country on the planet who should be bitching about any other country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Maybe she's just finally integrated, nothing there I've never heard an Irish person say, although perhaps not the smartest of Irish people... We're a fairly self hating bunch at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

tallus wrote: »
    At the risk of Godwin-ing the thread... The Germans are the last country on the planet who should be bitching about any other country.

WHY

The war was 70 years ago, how far do you want to go back. How about the Italians, the Roman were absolute cnuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

I was in Bavaria last year, fabulous place, friendly people and very picturesque. Services, food and drink were all top notch. We could learn a lot from them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement