Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is this how we are?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoLIU2NI66w

Never send a journalist to do a comedians job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I was in Bavaria last year, fabulous place, friendly people and very picturesque. Services, food and drink were all top notch. We could learn a lot from them.

the wan who wrote the article is from the north of Germany. as I said in other posts people like her usually have a chip on their shoulder against their native country an bring that chip over here. had she not kids with her she would probably have taken to living in isolation in the hills of Leitrim, like many of the Germans do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

She probably needs a good hard fuck.

a fat guy wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoLIU2NI66w

Never send a journalist to do a comedians job!

an Irish comedian manages to speak about Germany for a whole minute without mentioning Hitler or the war! has to mention it after that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

So one German journalist doesn't like us, so what?!

She's right about the teeth though, we do have rubbish teeth. But I'm pretty sure it's not as a result of incest. At least that's what my mother/sister told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

Has anyone read the full article in German BTW? I could only find the first paragraph...

http://www.weltwoche.ch/weiche/hinweisgesperrt.html?hidID=545351

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

I was in Bavaria last year, fabulous place, friendly people and very picturesque. Services, food and drink were all top notch. We could learn a lot from them.

I drank 10 cans of Bavaria last week and pissed myself . See folks, not everything German is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Angeles

A country where boozing is seen to be honorable? My 65 year old landlord was all proud to announce that he drank his three sons under the table over the weekend.

I found this part hilarious - But only because I felt a sudden need to handshake the landlord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I think he thought he was being funny and / or provocative.

Was it for a Hot Press style mag or a Village style one, anyone know.

The guy seems to have a quite narrow view of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

http://www.mare.de/index.php?article_id=1373

She lives on the green-green Atlantic Island to the left beside England and teaches creative writing... :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

The Germans contribution to world culture from Nobel prizes, music, philosophy, inventions, is enormous very few nations can rival it apart from Britain. Also German cinema is a notch above the rest of the world at the moment, I am told their literature is of equal high standard, but I never have read a German novel so I can't confirm.

It is hard to ignore their history of militarism, but right now with the present German generation they are the most pacifist nation in Europe. 10 million of them marched to object against the war in Iraq. How many went on a protest march here??.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Colmustard wrote: »
    10 million of them marched to object against the war in Iraq. How many went on a protest march here??.

100,000 marched in Dublin. And there were other protests all over the country. Not sure where you're plucking the 10,000,000 number from. Police estimates were in and around 300,000

100,000 marched in Dublin. And there were other protests all over the country. Not sure where you're plucking the 10,000,000 number from. Police estimates were in and around 300,000

A jeremy clarkson article and from memory, both are dodgy sources. Jeremy does actually like germany, probably something to do with cars.

I will hit the googles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Yes, we can have a big beerfest and get smashed out of our skulls, that'll teach them.:P

I think Germany would have a real drink problem if its three million breweries closed down overnight.:(

Yeah according to Wiki it was 300,000

I was wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

dantbyhid wrote: »
    http://www.mare.de/index.php?article_id=1373

She lives on the green-green Atlantic Island to the left beside England and teaches creative writing... :P

She looks like a fatter uglier version of Tracy Thorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

she's nailed us there tbh.

You could write a similar article about how boring, rigid, arrogant and cringeworthy the germans are, how they can't be trusted, how they are no longer ashamed of their past which was the only thing that kept them in line. How the world allowed it until the 21st century to repay it's debts after the second time in the space of 30years they tried to annex the continent and how they murdered millions of people, but that wouldn't be kosher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Colmustard wrote: »
    Yeah according to Wiki it was 300,000

I was wrong.

Most likely Jeremy Clarkson had it arseways :D Some people estimate that 10 million protested globally on the day, but it's probably way more than that. I was in Dublin on the day of the protest and it was mental.. I couldn't believe how many people turned up. Only 10 - 20,000 were expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Time for a truth bomb.......

• Advertisement

maybe she will say she was mistranslated. would love to hear from her if she is still in the country.

maybe she feels disillusioned cos she was looking for something like little house on the prarie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

She took exception to Russian kids being slagged when other kids found out they were Russian despite having Irish accents and growing up here?

I get slagged pretty much daily for being born in England to Irish parents and I have a thick Limerick accent and have been here since I was 3. Do I care? No.

They definitely mustn't have a banter bus running over in Germany!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Kev_2012 wrote: »

It got blown up in the war :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I drank 10 cans of Bavaria last week and pissed myself . See folks, not everything German is great!

Bavaria is Dutch

Most likely Jeremy Clarkson had it arseways :D Some people estimate that 10 million protested globally on the day, but it's probably way more than that. I was in Dublin on the day of the protest and it was mental.. I couldn't believe how many people turned up. Only 10 - 20,000 were expected.

Well he is Jeremy a funny bloke and his articles are fun, but just that. I should have known better.

Reading down that wiki reference 750.000 marched in London:eek: and Blair still went to war. That say's a lot about marches.

I wasn't at the march, but I will if the Iran thing heats up, which is looking inevitable. Fingers crossed I am wrong.

http://www.welt.de/reise/nah/article13665435/Auf-dem-irischen-Pferdemarkt-luegen-alle.html

she regards the travelling community as the most poetic of all the Irish.

otherwise there seems to be little substance to her articles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

Fuinseog wrote: »
    http://www.welt.de/reise/nah/article13665435/Auf-dem-irischen-Pferdemarkt-luegen-alle.html

bahahaha I get it now :D:D:D

Bloody hell that article is hilarious, it is completely false but its not lies its an article written out of complete naivety, it confirms it, she is an awful journalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I do not think anyone would have invited Rohm to a kiddies party.

what did Speer do?
    what did hess do that merited 47 years in gaol?

Maybe not as 'bad' as some of the others, but both did plenty to further the power of the Nazi party. One Hitlers personal secretary the other the brains behind the Nuremberg rally. Both far from squeaky clean I think you'll agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

She's obviously gone off her game somehow. And I'm sure the Swiss are intelligent enough to see through her ranting. If anything, the dumb cow should lose her job. If she wrote about Nigerians being incentuous and having jaw formations like rabbits, she'd be gone. And whatever about us, statistics show Europe dislikes the Germans the most. Writing blatantly racist articles in a Swiss magazine should have repercussions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Ignoring the article itself for a sec but is RSVP a real magazine? Their website layout is shite, it looks like it was designed by a transition year student for their ECDL module... in 1998.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭MHalberstram

She's obviously gone off her game somehow. And I'm sure the Swiss are intelligent enough to see through her ranting. If anything, the dumb cow should lose her job. If she wrote about Nigerians being incentuous and having jaw formations like rabbits, she'd be gone. And whatever about us, statistics show Europe dislikes the Germans the most. Writing blatantly racist articles in a Swiss magazine should have repercussions.

Check out the recent Swiss election posters. Her article would probably go down a treat over there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Links234 wrote: »
    says more about the high price of alcohol than how much we drink really

I love that particular approach to our alcohol denial. We don't drink loads and we're not overly fond of the gargle. We just don't mind spending lots of our money on moderate amounts of very pricey booze...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

I was so shocked at the article that all my teeth fell out.

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    I was so shocked at the article that all my teeth fell out.

Gummy rabbit-jawed alcos; shure der's more to Ireland dan dis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

What a load of toss. Master race indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    She took exception to Russian kids being slagged when other kids found out they were Russian despite having Irish accents and growing up here?

I get slagged pretty much daily for being born in England to Irish parents and I have a thick Limerick accent and have been here since I was 3. Do I care? No.

how very Irish to dismiss bullying as "banter".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

She can stick it up her arse. Also, Hitler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

"In Ireland they will affectionately welcome ambassadors of other cultures in for a cup of tea and biscuits only for the reason to check them out for possible exploitation." WTF? Did we exploit Barak Obama?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I used to think german women were sexy until this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I used to think german women were sexy until this!

The lack of rabbit teeth putting you off? :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

It sounds like she's a special case. You wouldn't make a joke around her in case she'd take it up wrong. She would have gotten on well with Cromwell. You could see the prick nearly writing that himself.
    I like to think that during her research she measured the typical Irish cranium and found it inferior to that of the German uberpeople. I expected her to say how small all our cocks were at the end just for the craic.

Also Hitler! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭gothictwilight

The magazine that published the article is apparently a right wing rag with links to the right wing Swiss Peoples Party.
    She just sounds like she has a huge chip on her shoulder.
    Ireland is far from perfect but the stuff she wrote is borderline xenophobic.

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Maybe not as 'bad' as some of the others, but both did plenty to further the power of the Nazi party. One Hitlers personal secretary the other the brains behind the Nuremberg rally. Both far from squeaky clean I think you'll agree.

who was Hitlers secretary and who was the brains behind the rallies? Speer got twenty years for designing a few buildings.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    "In Ireland they will affectionately welcome ambassadors of other cultures in for a cup of tea and biscuits only for the reason to check them out for possible exploitation." WTF? Did we exploit Barak Obama?

he got a free pint.

I think I will lure some foreigners into my gaff, offer them a tea and a biscuit and charge them.

Ignoring the article itself for a sec but is RSVP a real magazine? Their website layout is shite, it looks like it was designed by a transition year student for their ECDL module... in 1998.

I never heard of RSVP until now. I was looking for an English translation of her article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Fairly good article I must say but perhaps the author had a bad experience here that influenced her attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Why is she living here then? , spa.. She only wrote it to get a bit of publicity, no such thing as bad publicity:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

I expect all the posters from the "What do you hate about the Irish?" Thread will be coming out of the woodwork pretty soon to show their solidarity with Dear old Antje Joel!

The article itself is a load of codswallop! I do however fear that there are plenty of ignorant slobs who have never set foot in Ireland who will readily lap that bile up and ask for seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

kingtubby wrote: »
    Terrible article.

It is upsetting though seeing people here who are offended by this crap responding by making similar generalisations against the Germans.

Well, they started it.
    ... when they invaded Poland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Only read the first bit about alcohol and would like to point out that the reason we spend so much on alcohol is because it is so highly taxed and we want to contribute this tax to pay for schools etc. :rolleyes:

Also many of us choose to drink Irish brewed drinks like Bulmers to keep our jobs safe. :D:D

On a serious note I assume this piece is meant to be a bit tongue in cheek or deliberately looking for a reaction.

Advertisement