Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is this how we are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭gerryd2

Pottler wrote: »
    Lazy paddy.:pac: Really not much in that article that's not fairly true though, Ireland has loads of good points, but it has loads of bad ones too. We do spend most of our time trying to cheat each other, avoid being "codded", rascism is chronic (I know, I have some E.European born workers and they are seriously discriminated against all the time as well as getting told to "feck off home" on a regular basis-that classic last ditch Irish arguement -sure if you don't like it here, feck off home..even look at the comments under the article). There are also an awful lot of feckin inbred goms knocking round the place. And diddelly-idle music is a pain in the head. Some bits of Wicklow do look nice though:D
    Yeah but can you name one Country that doesn't have those problems?
    The only problem with Ireland is its a small place and its harder to hide those problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

gerryd2 wrote: »
    Yeah but can you name one County that doesn't have those problems?
    The only problem with Ireland is its a small place and its harder to hide those problems.

We managed to hide them well from the Swiss Club Ireland. :D

Swiss Club Ireland: 'Die Weltwoche Article Does Not Speak for Us'
    Swiss Club Ireland's Chantal Nash says that the piece, entitled 'Ireland? Forget It!', does not reflect the views of its members, and stressed that she personally has never experienced anything bad in the forty years she has lived in Ireland:
    I am really shocked and outraged to hear about it. It is not our experience as Swiss people living in Ireland. We greatly appreciate the Irish and we have never experienced anything like what the author is describing. It is shocking that she can write such ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

gerryd2 wrote: »
    Yeah but can you name one County that doesn't have those problems?
    Err Leitrim? What do I win?(reason being there's no-one left there?For a bonus prize?)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

In fairness lads we're an ugly bunch! But that's not down to us being incest. I hope.

The lady is bitter and writing an unoriginal xenophobic article. Take no notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Wonder if she'll return to Ballygar? Or if any of her kids still go to school there?
    :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

You only had to look at her photo to understand to be honest

And I for one kinda feel sorry for her, what her life must be....

Pottler wrote: »
    Err Leitrim? What do I win?(reason being there's no-one left there?For a bonus prize?)
    Ah sorry typo mistake, I meant to say Country

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭jony_dols

Didn’t the Irish Celts not originate from the Helvetian Celts based in the Swiss Alps? And then we were subsequently colonized by the Nordic Vikings, the French Normans, the Anglo-Saxons & later by the Scots. That’s a pretty diverse gene pool. Probably moreso than the isolated mountain communities in Switzerland.

I could paint all Swiss people with the same brush, & call them inbred war profiteers, who without hesitance turned a blind eye to the mass genocide of the Jewish population in Europe to line their own pockets. And then retreated back up the mountains to spend the subsequent decades laundering money for war criminals, sex slavers, arms dealers & drug cartels.
    But I have more integrity than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler Hitler

Hitler

He was actually Austrian, NOT GERMAN...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I have travelled to Cologne,Bonn,and Hamburg in the last couple of years(great cities BTW) and I have encountered the same level of drinking that you would see in Ireland(both in tourist bars,neighbourhood bars,and public places)fact is the Germans like their beer.As for racism,Germany has its own problems as does most countries in Europe.As for our teeth,our pearly whites have never looked so good IMO, remember 25 years ago when dentistry care was not so prevalent.More people now visit the dentist and avail of treatment.This lady intended to be insulting and controversial and I can't help thinking it's maybe some type of payback for the negative opinion and press generated in Ireland with regards to the German dominance of Europe and our opinions on German bankers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

actually read the article.

some funny stuff in it. some of the tone possibly lost in translation..

but yeah, touch of the 'I came to Ireland for the Blarney, met him, fell in love, laughed at his roughish rakish ways (alcoholism) but stopped laughing when he left me stranded with two kids, the fuker.

sad. but funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Nasty, vile, vindictive, bigoted article. Given the author's nationality it makes it even less fortunate.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭jony_dols

kabakuyu wrote: »
    I have travelled to Cologne,Bonn,and Hamburg in the last couple of years(great cities BTW) and I have encountered the same level of drinking that you would see in Ireland(both in tourist bars,neighbourhood bars,and public places)fact is the Germans like their beer.As for racism,Germany has its own problems as does most countries in Europe.As for our teeth,our pearly whites have never looked so good IMO, remember 25 years ago when dentistry care was not so prevalent.More people now visit the dentist and avail of treatment.This lady intended to be insulting and controversial and I can't help thinking it's maybe some type of payback for the negative opinion and press generated in Ireland with regards to the German dominance of Europe and our opinions on German bankers.

Cologne is a great city, but it's probably got more drunkards than you'd see on the streets of Dublin. And the smell of stale urine on hot Summer day, could knock out a rhino!

Also a German commenting on the levels of racism in Ireland? She obviously hasn't seen the throngs of Neo-Nazi skinheads at any of the Bundesliga matches recently. Here's an article from 2 days ago:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/48814069/ns/sports-soccer/

and this b*tch criticizes Irish supporters for being respectful and obliging fans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Bugs bunny is funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

jony_dols wrote: »
    Cologne is a great city, but it's probably got more drunkards than you'd see on the streets of Dublin. And the smell of stale urine on hot Summer day, could knock out a rhino!

Exaggeration on the scale of a rhino.

Also a German commenting on the levels of racism in Ireland? She obviously hasn't seen the throngs of Neo-Nazi skinheads at any of the Bundesliga matches recently.

"]No excuses whatsoever for this BUT, BUT, these group of delights are totally upfront with their ideas - The racism that the journalist refers to in her article in Ireland (which is equally as horrid) is the day to day prevalent, inherent, xenophobia from the citizens who don't want far'eden people in their toons.[

Perhaps you not prepared to take any form of ciritisism as perhaps staunch patriotism blocks the way.

I laughed as some of the article was funny, I felt ashamed as some of it unfortunately is downright true and I despaired at the mass hysteria and 'uber' precious predictable reactions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Chinasea wrote: »
    Perhaps you not prepared to take any form of ciritisism as perhaps staunch patriotism blocks the way.

I laughed as some of the article was funny, I felt ashamed as some of it unfortunately is downright true and I despaired at the mass hysteria and 'uber' precious predictable reactions.

Me to :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

kfallon wrote: »
    At least we didn't murder 7 million innocent Jewish people!

Btw Neil Prenderville, is that the guy who joined the mile high club on his own? :pac:
    You can't hold the German race accountable for the holocaust. It was the nazi political party. Not every German did something wrong and it was over 60 years ago . The current generation did nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Abi wrote: »
    I think it would be fair to say that nobody really gives a fúck what the mad bitch says.

yet 15 pages later (11 when you wrote that) people are still ranting

WRT the inbred comment. I grew up in the middle of the countryside. I went to a small country primary school. Everyone in my class was related to someone else in the class. I was the only person who didn't have cousins in the same school. It was a small country parish and people had been marrying into each others families for years. I have a feeling that if I'd gone back a century all the same family names would be on the parish register.
    Maybe a quarter of my class moved out of the area when they were adults (most to dublin. But a couple to Galway and other places). The rest settled down and married local girls/guys. And until the last 20 years (When the transport infrastructure was developed) very, very few people moved into the area.

But as I got older and learnt about genetics, I began to realise that my little neighbourhood was a very small gene pool that had very little input from the outside. So I can see why someone living in a small rural community in ireland would think if inbreeding.

Now I imagine this happens a lot across the world. So the same things could be said about many rural communities in many places. Still, it's easy for someone from the city to see that kind of community that's been close knit for centuries and come to that conclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Chinasea wrote: »

The amount of anti german vitriol in this thread is amazing.

Obviously the journalist forgot to say that irish people have no sense of irony.

We have come to terms with the fact that we're a nation of inbred rednecks. We now make our own alien invasion movies, sending a clear message to the world: getting drunk is the only way to survive on this island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Terribly disappointing the amount of anti German rhetoric on this thread.Ok she told some untruths,exaggerated greatly.But she raised some some valid criticisms.What is it with Irish people and our collective psyche?Have we such a thin skin that we have to engage in frankly juvenile slating of her as a female German national.Even if she is a second rate hack journalist as some have stated she's still entitled to express an opinion,however much we dislike it or are in denial re it's validity.Frankly the constant bringing up of Hitler and the second world war is distasteful,the German people have still a great guilt/shame re same and the current generation can't be held be responsible for the past sins of their bretheren.They can certainly learn from it.
    However much we do not like to admit it Chancellor Merkel and our German paymasters are the only thing keeping this country afloat.We may dislike the deal we got from the troika but we were as a nation living beyond our means.I trust the troika far more to take the tough decisions than our national incumbents.I think this is the crux of this anti German sentiment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'm sorry, but the woman did not bring up any 'valid criticisms'.

Yes, we have an issue with drinking in Ireland, but it's one that is common with most of Northern Europe. In terms of alcohol consumption per capita, we are not very far out of line with most of our Northern European counterparts. In terms of spending, we spend a hell of a lot more because we tax alcohol very heavily to curb the social impact of it on society.

I am pretty much convinced that the 2-week closures she is talking about for the schools actually referred to a period where Ireland dropped to close to -20ºC, temperatures which are almost unheard of in Ireland and Britain and constituted a national emergency situation. Just because German-speaking countries are used to those kinds of temperatures does not mean that the rest of Europe is deigned for weather it almost never gets.

A 'valid criticism' would be to write a fair article that made comparisons between how things were in Ireland and say Germany and looked at some actual facts.

This article was nothing more than a weird xenophobic rant and while she may have started off looking at a few valid points, she blew them out of all proportion and then added in a whole load of made-up nonsense which completely undermined any valid points she was trying to make.

Unfortunately, the article that she wrote was as much a valid criticism as something that was published by Victorian British tabloid magazines.

It was nothing other than a crude, largely false, highly offensive characture.

To be quite honest, the fact that anyone would even consider that such a nasty piece of writing was 'valid criticism' says a hell of a lot for Irish people's complete lack of self-confidence if nothing else.

If you wrote something this nasty about any country in Europe, or even worse the US, you would probably get an far more extreme reaction that she has gotten here.

Anything I've read on here has been fairly measured.

As for posters mentioning the war. Unless we are going to pretend that it never happened, it's just an unfortunate reality that modern Germans have to deal with the horrors that were inflicted in the name of their grandparents. They do deal with it and they have done a hell of a lot to ensure that it never happens again.

The sad reality of this article is that is very reminiscent of the kind of evil nonsense spouted by propagandists of that era, so unfortunately it's the lady herself who has brought this kind of criticism upon herself.

If nothing else, she's embarrassed and upset a lot of Germans and Swiss people who live in Ireland and offended Irish people very badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I am afraid we shall have to agree to disagree,I stand by what I said.Ireland's per capita alcohol consumption has been reported to be amongst the highest in the world.The fact that her criticism does not encapsulate a pan European comparison does not make it any less valid,it just makes her a hypocrite.Although the wine drinking French and beer drinking Germans do not consume alcohol quite on the same scale as ourselves and there is certainly not the alcohol binging culture in those countries.
    I certainly do not think Irish people are lacking in confidence,more so aware of the gravity of the nation's economic predicament.
    I have seen plenty of comments here bordering on xenophobic and misogynistic in nature.Admittedly many I think were posted in jest and I suppose this after hours!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Dear Swiss people, don’t take that personally. You must know that the Irish think that if you’re not born and raised in Ireland, that you’re a bit stupid. At least stupid enough to be ripped off by them. After all, it is quite stupid to think that the Irish are friendly and helpful. This gives them a certain advantage.

When I started reading the article, I thought the author had something useful to say. Constructive criticism, if you will. This bit here takes it too far though. The only thing I'd be worried about in this article is if it's actually what Germans think and this is just a release of steam for them, like nobody actually wants to say what the person writing the article has said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Amongst the highest in the world maybe, but not too far away from our neighbours.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption

Factor I'm that Ireland has one of the youngest populations in Northern Europe and you probably explain it too.

That's not saying the behaviour associated with binge drinking is acceptable but it's not unique to Ireland by a long shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ermahgerd

It's a vicious article by a, both physically and in terms of personality, ugly woman who by virtue of the fact that she exists is most likely the child of nazis or nazi supporters. People in stone houses and all that.

The article did amount to calling us a bunch of inbred thieves and I genuinely hope her local community shows her some real...appreciation...over the comments directed at them and their ilk.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Terribly disappointing the amount of anti German rhetoric on this thread.Ok she told some untruths,exaggerated greatly.But she raised some some valid criticisms.What is it with Irish people and our collective psyche?Have we such a thin skin that we have to engage in frankly juvenile slating of her as a female German national.Even if she is a second rate hack journalist as some have stated she's still entitled to express an opinion,however much we dislike it or are in denial re it's validity.Frankly the constant bringing up of Hitler and the second world war is distasteful,the German people have still a great guilt/shame re same and the current generation can't be held be responsible for the past sins of their bretheren.They can certainly learn from it.
    However much we do not like to admit it Chancellor Merkel and our German paymasters are the only thing keeping this country afloat.We may dislike the deal we got from the troika but we were as a nation living beyond our means.I trust the troika far more to take the tough decisions than our national incumbents.I think this is the crux of this anti German sentiment.
    I do admit we are being harsh on German people over what 1 German woman had to say about us but most of the Anti German is just people making a point. I like German people. Out of every Country in Europe Germans and Irish people are very much alike but peoples points are how can a German woman judge us given the History Germany has and when all the stuff she said in her article can be said about German people too.

Your German right? Would you say your people don't like having a drink? Are you saying there's no racists in Germany? Theres racists everywhere. Are you saying theres no incest in germany? Google it. What about bad teeth. Everyone you know has perfect teeth right? and traditional music, like Germanys traditional music is any different.

Yeah you don't see all the fiddles or flutes being played much anymore but thats because Irelands growing with the times now. Go back 20 years and you would see all of that or go to Galway and Cork where they still have the bands playing. Just remember this hate is people reacting to a crappy article that disses them and we're just letting off some steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

seligehgit wrote: »

That rhetoric sort of proves some of her points are valid.
    I agree with what you are saying about the money from Germany, If a cat could study economics he probably would have seen the boom to bust coming but no not us of course because our economy was different !!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

ermahgerd wrote: »
    People in stone houses and all that.

People in stone houses ... shouldn't throw glasses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ermahgerd

BornToKill wrote: »
    People in stone houses ... shouldn't throw glasses?
    Er, shouldn't throw TNT.

Whoops :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

kfallon wrote: »
    Giving out about Irish music....didn't Germany give us David Hasselhoff's majestic singing talents and Scooter :rolleyes:

We gave them Johnny Logan in exchange.

Ireland I
    Germany 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Half the journos in the irish independent write like that about other nationalities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have worked with a few Germans over the years, and if this generalisation is how they see the entire Irish nation, then I will take my former work colleagues as a guide to the German nation and say that they must be the dullest, most boring, anal people in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

>_>
    <_<

GEEBAG tbh! Yeah, some of that is true but so feckin what? Nobody said we're perfect. How about you go back home if you don't like us, our culture and our country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Blaaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I know a German Woman with Three Irish Children. One of whom i am friends with. I don't know when her bitterness started (Maybe it was after her divorce, and whilst she got a lot, she didn't get everything.), but she continues to live here, while always putting down Irish People. It's as if it makes her feel better about herself.

She says daft things like "Irish men can't grow their hair long, They go bald."

among plenty of other tripe. I think this woman seems to be the same.
    One owner of one of these dental deformities once told me that it was the result of incest. To prove that, he threw back his head, opened his mouth and showed me his rodent like narrow upper jaw. This man was a scientist, he must know. He also said, that young couples have been advised by the government over the last few years to have an DNA test done before marriage, in order to prevent a further spread of this dental deformity. Alone the successful spread of the Irish gene pool is worrying.
    School mates of my 16 year old son are giggling when they see a black skinned boy in one of their school books. A female student recently called a Polish pupil a “foreigner bastard”. He replied “fat cow”. One of the two was expelled. Guess who? An Irish acquaintance of mine adopted two Russian babies. They are now teenagers with mainly Irish history and pure Irish accents. And yet, since the school mates found out that they are not Irish bred, they made life hell for those “Russian f*ckers” (original “Russenaersche – could also mean “Russian c*nts”). Same for the Irish mother.

I can only assume she made all that up.

A Scientist she knows told her that he is the result of Incest, and that young couples have to have DNA tests in order to prevent this dental deformity.

He is not a Scientist, and he is openly stated that he is confused on the whole marriage Issue. There is a report (Can't find it at the moment) and picture of him - HERE

Apparently, Swiss weekly mag Die Weltwoche has quite a history of publishing racist tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭gothictwilight

Saw this guy commenting on Die Welt Woches' facebook page. http://americaphile.wordpress.com<br>
    Really horrible site.
    Combines homophobia, islamophobia, right wing, anti-catholic, sectarianism, anti-obama in one package.
    Warning: Read in small doses as it will annoy!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

galwayrush wrote: »
    Wonder if she'll return to Ballygar? Or if any of her kids still go to school there?
    :D

it must be terrible to be surrounded by rodent like individuals whose sole passion in life is drinking and inbreeding.

country living is country living and she chose it. the whole island is judged on her experiences of one rural community. Maybe she was expecting the citizens of Ballygar to be citizens of the world?
    maybe she did not discover fiddle players in the place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Fuinseog wrote: »
    country living is country living and she chose it. the whole island is judged on her experiences of one rural community. Maybe she was expecting the citizens of Ballygar to be citizens of the world?
    Can you point out where she mentioned Ballygar in the article?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Can you point out where she mentioned Ballygar in the article?

she is based, or at least was, in ballygar. some of the people to whom she makes reference in the article are from the area. her landlord for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Much ado about nothing. A German person stereotypes us and must of us respond by stereotyping the Germans. I do love a bit of irony.

she is based, or at least was, in ballygar. some of the people to whom she makes reference in the article are from the area. her landlord for example.
    Nope never mentioned Ballygar once! Who says her landlord is from Ballygar?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

This article is pathetic. I expected some hard hitting home truths which would be a little over the top but at least have a bit of relevancy. Instead she just spent a lot of time slagging off our teeth. Not very good at all.

My teeth are perfect at least.

Having said all that, I'm disappointed by the amount of people that just came out with negative stereotypes of German people.

"At least we didn't start any world wars"

"Hitler Hitler Hitler"

Really? Talk about dropping down to someone's level.

Better to just call her a wagon and be done with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Better to just call her a wagon and be done with it.

A wagon with a jaw like a pitt bull

• Advertisement

woodoo wrote: »
    A wagon with a jaw like a pitt bull

I wouldn't get personal about her appearance either. Shure I'm no oil painting myself with my beer belly and rabbit-like teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭wintersolstice

what is it with German and their brutal honesty? Do they not know how to sugarcoat? heard about this on Morning Ireland this morning.

http://rsvpmagazine.ie/rabbit-teeth-german-journo-writes-scathing-article-on-the-irish/
    everything she says is spot on!

Most of what she says is anecdotal. Her article isn't journalism or even a decent opinion piece. It's like a bad leaving cert essay.

Slagging off a nation's teeth? That's not journalism.

You been having sex with your sister then? Quite an admission!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Links234 wrote: »
    but they gave us Rammstein, for that they can be forever forgiven for any musical atrocities

That's the gayest thing I have ever seen...

• Advertisement
Advertisement