Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is this how we are?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭gothictwilight

Some nutter has mentioned this thread in one of his articles
    Warning: he is very sectarian and his caps lock seems broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭NS77

Although the article is poorly researched and resorts to anecdote on far too many occasions... there's a lot of truth there. The sooner we face up to the fact that we have a myriad of problems and hypocrisies in this country, the sooner we can progress and become a modern, confident, tasteful country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

cool, I get a mention.
    the rant is hard to follow

FENIAN GURU MAGGOTS HAVE ISSUED A FATWĀ AGAINST THE COURAGEOUS JOURNALIST ANTJE JOEL FOR HER BRILLIANT EXPOSÉ AND ANALYSIS!!!!

OF COURSE, ANOTHER HERO IN JOURNALISM, KEVIN MYERS, HAS ALSO SHARED SIMILAR INSIGHTS!!!!!

ALSO, WHAT’S LEFT OF THE U.S. STATE DEPARTMENT MANAGED TO ISSUE A TRAVEL ADVISORY REACHING THE SAME CONCLUSIONS!!!!!

THE GURU MAGGOTS ARE THREATENING AN AUTO-DA-FÉ, TO BURN HER IN A HEATHEN WICKERMAN!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

That site is classic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

That website is surely satirical?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭gothictwilight

don't think so.
    keep going through the stories.
    He can get very offensive.
    He seems to hate lesbians, catholics, muslims, liberals, the democrat party, Hillary Clinton, Obama, etc, etc.
    He also seems to hate using lower case letters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

That's brilliant, he called us Fenian Guru maggots. :p

0/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

Must be 100% satirical - as if a modern Tea Party Alf Garnett reactionary is writing copy for a fictitious tabloid.

Too clever by half to be genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Most of what she said is true, but the inbreeding thing is a load of sh*t. After spending a week in Germany recently, though, I want to live there in the future. You can buy alcohol there at any time and you can stay out until well after 7am. That's because the Germans have enough sense when it comes to alcohol that they don't need to be babied by the government. Their English is infinitely better than our Irish, showing that their approach to education actually works, while we spend 14 years rote learning a language and are still unable to speak it. I found the Germans much more friendly and helpful than the Irish. When they realised that my first language wasn't German they were completely happy to speak English to me if I didn't understand something. I was never harassed by anyone on the street or in a nightclub. The streets actually feel safe at night, there are none of the loud and aggressive groups of teenagers. And the streets are so clean in comparison to Ireland.

Though some of the article is clearly over the top and bizarre, I can completely empathize with someone moving here from somewhere like Germany. I almost wish I'd been born there instead of here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

finality wrote: »
    Most of what she said is true, but the inbreeding thing is a load of sh*t. After spending a week in Germany recently, though, I want to live there in the future. You can buy alcohol there at any time and you can stay out until well after 7am. That's because the Germans have enough sense when it comes to alcohol that they don't need to be babied by the government. Their English is infinitely better than our Irish, showing that their approach to education actually works, while we spend 14 years rote learning a language and are still unable to speak it. I found the Germans much more friendly and helpful than the Irish. When they realised that my first language wasn't German they were completely happy to speak English to me if I didn't understand something. I was never harassed by anyone on the street or in a nightclub. The streets actually feel safe at night, there are none of the loud and aggressive groups of teenagers. And the streets are so clean in comparison to Ireland.

Though some of the article is clearly over the top and bizarre, I can completely empathize with someone moving here from somewhere like Germany. I almost wish I'd been born there instead of here.

I would say that's not accurate for all of Germany. I've been to the North West part of the country quite a bit and the people there didn't seem to have much, if any English. One of the only guys I got talking to in English was a homeless guy who had spent a lot of time in Ireland when younger!

Around Essen, Duisburg etc. is mostly Industrial so I'd guess they don't need English as much as the likes of Berlin and Munich. But same argument could be made for Ireland then. She was in a very isolated rural part of the country. It's not representative of the whole place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

/clicks linky

...TL;DR.

Back to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭III

very accurate to be honest... *EPIPHANY*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I quite like Germany and German people. The odd thing though is that, having spent a decent amount of time in Germany and in various towns of different sizes, I'm always struck by the number of f*cked-up looking people walking around (for want of a better word for it) compared to Ireland and anywhere else I've been. I'm inclined to wonder is this due to the permanent genetic legacy of millions of Germany's fit, healthy young men being killed in WW1 and WW2.

Has anyone else noticed this? It is very noticeable outside the biggest cities - in Cologne, Berlin, Munich, the people look fine. In Essen, Aachen, Trier - huge numbers of f*cked up looking people shambling around.

finality wrote: »

The Germans are glad to use you to practice their English. alcohol flows freely but the cops crack down on any rowdiness pretty fast and you do not mess with the police. do you pay all the German taxed when you were there?

I quite like Germany and German people. The odd thing though is that, having spent a decent amount of time in Germany and in various towns of different sizes, I'm always struck by the number of f*cked-up looking people walking around (for want of a better word for it) compared to Ireland and anywhere else I've been. I'm inclined to wonder is this due to the permanent genetic legacy of millions of Germany's fit, healthy young men being killed in WW1 and WW2.

Has anyone else noticed this? It is very noticeable outside the biggest cities - in Cologne, Berlin, Munich, the people look fine. In Essen, Aachen, Trier - huge numbers of f*cked up looking people shambling around.

Until recently Germany was full of self-loathing people who hated their own country and this was officially encouraged. it was taboo to be proud to be German. some of them moved over here and went to live far away from other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

You're dead right. Even in Cologne, Berlin, etc, you see huge numbers of these people. I was in Essen and there was a guy barking like a dog on the metro. Nobody took any notice of him. And there's so many people who seem to have serious psychiatric issues on the streets and nobody helps. In Ireland, these people would be receiving some kind of care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

You'll find something very similar in a lot of the post Soviet states where the impact of WW2 was far greater than in Germany.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

Fuinseog wrote: »
    what is it with German and their brutal honesty? Do they not know how to sugarcoat? heard about this on Morning Ireland this morning.

http://rsvpmagazine.ie/rabbit-teeth-german-journo-writes-scathing-article-on-the-irish/
    As the Irish world economist David McWilliams puts it, each of the Pope’s children are spending annually EUR 1,584 on alcohol. No other nation in this world can match this.

That's because no other country in the World matches our high alcohol prices and taxes. In reality, we are drinking approximately the same as Luxembourg and Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

That's because no other country in the World matches our high alcohol prices and taxes. In reality, we are drinking approximately the same as Luxembourg and Germany.

Must try harder?

• Advertisement

I like the spending on drink thing, I'd be around the average drinking once a week, if I were in Germany I'd be blotto 4 times a week for the same amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Stupid article, I would have expected to have read such tripe in the 1890's edition of 'Punch' with a picture of a simeon looking farm labourer. Inflammatory rubbish, wouldn't even consider it journalism. However, considering it's written in some right-wing lunatic publication in Switzerland we must be annoying some people which is always fun! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 patjackman

Anyone here from Ballygar who actually knows the woman, and who could give us an insight into this drunken rodent hating hag? :D

patjackman wrote: »
    Anyone here from Ballygar who actually knows the woman, and who could give us an insight into this drunken rodent hating hag? :D

check out the Galway forum, though some of the comments have been snipped.
    the woman has been described as a 'user', in other words who takes and gives nothing.

the attraction of living somewhere remote wears off after a while. I think she was expecting the people of Ballygar/Eyrecourt to to poetic fiddle players who care little for work or wordly goods, but enjoy life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

It's what she observes in her community, not all of Ireland - her problem and thickness if she's going to apply it to all Irish people. Not worth getting bothered by IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Dockington

If the lady wanted a metropolitan progressive community then she shouldnt have moved to a small rural country village. I grew up in a small village and while I have no problem with the place or the people, I wouldn't like to live there anymore. I wouldnt imagine that rural Ireland is any worse than rural germany or rural anywhere else for that matter. As many others have said, if she is so miserable she might be advised to move elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Now, I am not going to stick up for this woman, BUT for the sake of fairness, I have to point out one small detail (it doesn't make the article any better though) I have read the original German text and she doesn't write "every third Irish teenage girl gets plastered at least ten times a MONTH" she wrote "every third Irish teenage girl gets plastered at least ten times a YEAR" Which to be fair to our teenage girls, is something that could definitely be said about German teenagers (no idea of the statistics here, but I've seen enough plastered teenage German girls to know that they are no better)

Advertisement