Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.ie domain names

Options
  • 30-08-2012 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi there,

Is it possible for me to own a .ie domain name personally but have it be used by my business?

I am just unsure on this aspect of the .ie names?

The domain name(s) would be the same as a registered business name if this makes a difference.

I ask as I have read about discretionary names but am unsure as to where one stands on owning a name as an individual when it is being used by/for a business.

Comments

Hi,

If the domain name is going to be used for business purposes you will need to register the domain as either a company or a sole trader.

Please see point 2 & 3 here: http://www.blacknight.com/iedr-policy.html

So to answer your question, you cannot register a personal domain which intends to be used for business purposes.

Regards,

Niamh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 A1terEgo

Thanks Niamh that is what I understood.

Basically if it being used by an ltd then the ltd needs to be the owner?

I've seen many discretionary .ie names personally registered that are being used commercially this is probably common but troublesome down the line.

If a discretionary name was just a redirect would it still need to be owned by the ltd company? Yes, probably? :)

Exactly. If the domain is registered to a Limited company then the company is the domain holder.

If the domain is registered to a Sole Trader then that individual is the domain holder.

Regardless of whether the domain is going to be used for a redirect or a main site the IE Domain Registry apply the same rules across the board :)

Hi Niamh,

One more question:

I register a .ie domain name with BK - it is a RBN (reg biz name) - BK want me to upload some documentation - in this case is a copy of the RBN certificate enough or does one need to upload also an explanation as to why one requested the name?

Thanks

Hi there,

If the domain name and the RBN are similar then we do not need any additional information.

However if the business name and the domain name are completely different and there is no obvious connect between the two, we will need a signed letter on your letterhead briefly outlining your claim on the domain name and why you wish to register it.

:)

• Advertisement

Hi Niamh,

Apart from the .ie bit at the end in two cases the domain names are the same as the RBN's.

It was just I got the presales email and was curious - it's no hassle actually to upload the RBN cert as I have them here anyway - so no harm in doing that.

The other 4 are all discretionary but related. I will do out a letter explaining our reasoning for requiring them.

Thanks!:)

Morning :)

If you would like to email me at sales@blacknight.com with your domain applications I'll make sure that they are all going through ok for you.

Hi Niamh,

The first two went through yesterday. :)

Will finalise the letters for the IEDR this morning and will email them to you and then upload.

Thanks!

Excellent :)

Hi Niamh,

I just emailed you the four letters.

Many thanks!:)

AE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 CazzaDunne14

Hi there,

I actually have a bit of an issue with a .ie domain name I bought yesterday. Basically I have to supply paperwork over the next 27 days to prove I am who I say I am. However, I was told today that the domaine name should be functioning and is only out of service if I do not support these papers in 27 days.

If I type the name of my domaine name (birdsofafeather.ie), it does not show up. I am also using hostgator as my host and installed wordpress, I've been told it can three hours or so for it to work but now it's over a day. I really have no clue where I am going wrong and would be really appreciative if you could help me!  ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Hi there,

I actually have a bit of an issue with a .ie domain name I bought yesterday. Basically I have to supply paperwork over the next 27 days to prove I am who I say I am. However, I was told today that the domaine name should be functioning and is only out of service if I do not support these papers in 27 days.
    Hi

I'm not sure who told you that, but generally speaking the domain will not work until the paperwork is supplied.
    I assume you're registering the domain via us?
    If so please contact our sales team via sales@blacknight.com and they'll be able to advise on the current status
    Bear in mind, however, that there is currently a 7 day backlog with the IEDR which is outside our control
    HTH

Michele

Advertisement