Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to bite the bullet....

Options
  • 30-08-2012 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

A long time suffering with hearing loss which has gradually got worse over the years.
    Back story is as followed.
    My hearing loss is hereditary from my mother who now has a cochlear implant (one of the first in the UK who had this great bit of surgery done)
    For the first 16 years of my life I would have regular hearing tests done by the NHS (born and bred in England btw) to monitor how it was affecting me.

I think I was 18 when they first suggested I actually take advantage of hearing aids for both ears, but being a teenager and a bit self conscious of my appearance this wasn’t really what I wanted, and I thought my hearing was still good enough to get by.

For the next 12 years I go by with no major problems, but in December 2005 I decided to take up the NHS of their offer of a hearing aid. The process was long winded and eventually got a fitting date in May 2006. The problem here was I had moved to Ireland with my job so was bouncing back and forth a couple of times, but got sorted.

I tried it and tried it and I just couldn’t get along with it, and still felt my hearing was good enough to get by without so it’s now collected dust somewhere in the house.

Fast forward to today.
    Over last 6-12 months it’s got worse, I can't handle it no more. I'm as good as living in silence, and its getting embarrassing when I don't catch what people say and they just get as frustrated as I do.

So what do I do?

I'm really still in a strange country and not knowing the ins and outs of the medical profession (not really had to bother with them in the 6 years)

Family and friends here well they know I'm as deaf as a post but just let me get on with it (I'm stubborn) and do their best to help.

Maybe some kind soul in here could point me in the direction of someone/somewhere I could basically repeat the above with becoming a mess and be understood.

Thanks for listening (no pun intended)

Based in Westmeath, work in Cavan and pretty much cover a lot of the country with my work so don't mind where the help comes from.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Great, you have decided to do something about not being able to hear! There is, granted, a bit of trade off between hearing and having to wear an aid, but once you have got used to being able to hear again you will realise its no contest. People wear glasses and there are minor inconveniences, and they get around them, you will do the same.

Secondly, you do not get used to a hearing aid all in a minute. You need to be prepared to spend 6 months messing around till it is doing what it should. Your brain has to be 'taught' to hear with the assistance of the aid, and it takes a while.

You will almost certainly not get aid(s) on any sort of government scheme, you will most likely have to do it privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

looksee wrote: »
    Great, you have decided to do something about not being able to hear! There is, granted, a bit of trade off between hearing and having to wear an aid, but once you have got used to being able to hear again you will realise its no contest. People wear glasses and there are minor inconveniences, and they get around them, you will do the same.

Secondly, you do not get used to a hearing aid all in a minute. You need to be prepared to spend 6 months messing around till it is doing what it should. Your brain has to be 'taught' to hear with the assistance of the aid, and it takes a while.

You will almost certainly not get aid(s) on any sort of government scheme, you will most likely have to do it privately.

Granted and noted.
    In the time I did try out the one the NHS gave me (over a period of 9 months all in) I actually got very frustrated at actually being able to hear again HA! I was so used to the bit of silence.

But I see this now as a more long term things....a little like giving up smoking (8 months into that one at the moment)

Life change...not always wanted but this is a need and must moment.

Time to count the pennies to see what a private option I can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

lowelife wrote: »
    Time to count the pennies to see what a private option I can afford.
    FYI; if you have worked in Ireland for the past 5 years (if less, check out here for more info), you'll be eligible for a grant of €500 an ear, that is reset every 4 years (so every 4 years you can claim it).

I'd advise you to goto somewhere that has been around for a few years, as there's more of a chance they'll be here for another few years. Bonovox.ie and DeafHear.ie are two examples.

Also it's worth checking which places do special offers (two for one, freebies, etc).

Best of luck, and ask any questions that you may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

the_syco wrote: »
    FYI; if you have worked in Ireland for the past 5 years (if less, check out here for more info), you'll be eligible for a grant of €500 an ear, that is reset every 4 years (so every 4 years you can claim it).

I'd advise you to goto somewhere that has been around for a few years, as there's more of a chance they'll be here for another few years. Bonovox.ie and DeafHear.ie are two examples.

Also it's worth checking which places do special offers (two for one, freebies, etc).

Best of luck, and ask any questions that you may have.

This had too a back burner for a couple of weeks (again) but I was about to hit research again as I had a bit of spare cash. This will help even more.

Can't thank you enough :)

Advertisement