Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two new Metal Gear games announced

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,870 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!

untitled-1dpsgs.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,211 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Snake or Big Boss? I don't mind who, they're both great.

At least it's not anime robot ninja boy, that's the main thing.

Clearly Big Boss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,211 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Mentions of Paz and Chico, suppose it's some kind of sequel to Peace Walker, maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

J. Marston wrote: »
    Mentions of Paz and Chico, suppose it's some kind of sequel to Peace Walker, maybe.

Yeah it is
    they mention the nuclear inspection which could be the nuke MSF recovers at the end of Peace Walker

Also...I WANTS!!! Cant be running on a PS3 though, even though they said it was hardware similar. But given how amazing MGS4 looked 4 or so years ago its not off the cards....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

any idea on whats the name of the song that starts at 3 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

snausages wrote: »

cheers , just found it there :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,665 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As much as I hate linking to IGN, they do have a longer version that actually gives you an extra minute or two of gameplay after all the nonsense story stuff ;)

http://ie.ign.com/videos/2012/09/01/metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-extended-14-minute-demo

Calling a helicopter into the middle of an enemy base - stealthy :P

Also it seems mandatory now that all trailers have to create an Inception-esque soundtrack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭KilOit

Iv'e no idea about the MG series but that trailer was sick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,895 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Very nice trailer even though I lost interest in MGS after the 4th one.

Anyone else think that little boy is a Big Boss clone?

The Gaming Liberty facebook page (big fans of Metal Gear) were updating their page with vids and pics as they went live last night. Look who left a comment:
    David Thomas i wonder if we'll hear from my old character -the Sorrow...

How class is it to have a voice actor leave a comment on a Irish FB page!

• Moderators Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Azza

I'd wager the boy in the video is Chico. Dialogue suggests it.

Wonder who the villian is? Its hardly Volgin?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Ah Jesus, now I'm excited! Unsurprisingly with a MGS game the graphics look fantastic on it.

If the game play stays in line with what was on show in that clip I'll be delighted.

Worst thing though is that we're unlikely to see it hit stores until late 2014 at the earliest I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Wonder who that burned guy is?

noodler wrote: »
    I hope to god he sits down and replays MGS3 before releasing this new game! Focus more on the action and less on the gibberish that made up a lot of mgs2 and 4. I'd look forward to a new big boss game, portable ops and peace walker just didn't cut it for me. I still haven't finished peace walker :o

Your loss!

PW was better than MGS4 for me.

Thouroughly enjoyed it on the PSP.

Got back into it yesterday and I just cannot get past the torture part. How can pushing one button be so hard! Flung my joypad against the wall in frustration. Think it's broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I wonder should they have gone for a fresh start in the series.

For me I had MGS 1 2 and 3 from the ps1 to the ps2 but then went to xbox and didn't play MGS4. Even by MGS3 the story / back story felt very convoluted and difficult to follow. At this stage with missing MGS4 and without going back to play the others I'd probably totally out of place in ground zero and perhaps others feel the same, its a daunting barrier for entry even for someone who used to play the series let alone any new comers.

Looks stunning though.

On a side note after seeing the demo I have massive reservations that this will run on current gen. Some of those water and lighting effects IMO could only be pulled off a by a high end PC running direct x 11. I wonder if its a lot of smoke and mirrors.
    It might just be me being paranoid but I wouldnt be surprised at all to find out the likes of Sony and MS are saying to devs "sure, you can show your games but just say its for current gen for now" when in fact they are for next gen. We know the dev time for next gen will be longer and that devs currently have the kits in house for the next gen.
    We also know that they most certainly will want to drum up interest as early as possible to ensure no one is left unaware of the games existence so shareholders can rest easy.
    Finally it seems plausible that we will see the usual 180 from MS and Sony where they come out at e3 next year and basically say forget about kinect and move and look how we are back to the hardcore with titles like MGS ground zero, watch dogs, remember me and star wars 1313.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Got back into it yesterday and I just cannot get past the torture part. How can pushing one button be so hard! Flung my joypad against the wall in frustration. Think it's broken.

Play that mission in co-op and it is much easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

The part in the microwave corridor? Its fairly tough alright

Wonder who that burned guy is?

Your guess is as good as mine, several theories include:

The fury
    Psycho mantis
    Volgin
    Solidus Snake

Or it could just be a new character

• Advertisement

Your guess is as good as mine, several theories include:

The fury
    Psycho mantis
    Volgin
    Solidus Snake

Or it could just be a new character

Hate to ruin theorys but he's a new character. I don't have any inside info but just basing on other MG games and the list you have there, he is new.

The fury is dead, doesn't look or sound anything like Psycho mantis, Volgin is dead and Solidus Snake is a clone from Big Boss so I don't think he'd even be alive in this.

tok9 wrote: »
    Hate to ruin theorys but he's a new character. I don't have any inside info but just basing on other MG games and the list you have there, he is new.

The fury is dead, doesn't look or sound anything like Psycho mantis, Volgin is dead and Solidus Snake is a clone from Big Boss so I don't think he'd even be alive in this.

They weren't my theories. Personally i think he looked like one of the ghouls from Fallout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

doesn't look or sound anything like Psycho mantis

From the Metal Gear wiki:
    He used his telekinetic powers to burn down the village that he lived in, killing all residents. This release of psychic energy caused severe burns across his body, particularly his face.

From the Metal Gear wiki:

True but again, he couldn't be that old. What year are we putting this lads?

Also imo, he looks too well built to be Psycho mantis.

True but again, he couldn't be that old. What year are we putting this lads?

Also imo, he looks too well built to be Psycho mantis.

Mid 70's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Ok, freddy kruger is in this game, awesome.

Also, get to play as Big Boss again, lovely. My favourite Snake, the original. The game looks very Splinter-Cellish though, in the gameplay and Snake was even wearing the goggles... and Splinter Cell is meh these days so that's not a good thing finding similarities (dear god please no M&E). Hope the CQC is improved so that I can counter a knife attack. In all the cutscenes and even the menu screen in MGS3 anyone who so far as looks at Snake with the intent to attack him close quaters finds themselves bent in half... but in gameplay they just come over and stab him and Snake falls on his ass like an idiot. Some improvement to CQC in Peace Walker where you could take on multiple apponents. I think a combination of Peace Walker CQC and MGS4 CQC mixed with some better counter options would be ideal for this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Scarred guy is almost definitely a new character. MGS1 was set in 2005, so it's most likely not Psycho Mantis. He didn't look muscular and big enough to be Volgin. Solidus wouldn't have even been nearly old enough, as he was born in 1972. And The Fury exploded as did all the Cobra Unit members.

Only possible returning character I could see it being would be Zero himself, though they'd need to explain how his scars healed by the time we saw him in MGS4. Or maybe it's someone from Portable Ops. But I'd prefer for it to be a completely new character anyway

Penn wrote: »
    Scarred guy is almost definitely a new character. MGS1 was set in 2005, so it's most likely not Psycho Mantis. He didn't look muscular and big enough to be Volgin. Solidus wouldn't have even been nearly old enough, as he was born in 1972. And The Fury exploded as did all the Cobra Unit members.

Only possible returning character I could see it being would be Zero himself, though they'd need to explain how his scars healed by the time we saw him in MGS4. Or maybe it's someone from Portable Ops. But I'd prefer for it to be a completely new character anyway

To be honest i think the metal gear series needs a new character, or characters, in this game. A villain that is separate from MGS 1-4, but related to Peace Walker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

My opinion on the scarred/burned fella. He's wearing a Fox emblem, so if this game is about Big Boss then if could be someone from Portable Ops, or from Big Boss's past. Maybe Gene managed to survive. But i'm just throwing that theory out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Riddle101 wrote: »
    My opinion on the scarred/burned fella. He's wearing a Fox emblem, so if this game is about Big Boss then if could be someone from Portable Ops, or from Big Boss's past. Maybe Gene managed to survive. But i'm just throwing that theory out there.

I think it was an XOF emblem. He could be the leader of the group that preceded FOX.

I thought he was Volgin initially but the more I think about it, I believe he will be a new character.

Also, one of the first things to pop into my head when I saw the young boy wasn't Chico, but Frank Jaeger. However, the dialogue later pretty much debunked that. Would have been cool though.

Advertisement