Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blow in hammers into Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Yowser! That makes for harsh reading but she's not far off the mark either in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

The "author" of this piece seems to live in Galway.

Which one of you guys dumped her, to make her hate Ireland so?

http://rsvpmagazine.ie/rabbit-teeth-german-journo-writes-scathing-article-on-the-irish/

already a thread started in Galway county. given that Ballygar is outside the city limits I thought it would be more suitable there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

I'm a bit speechless! There's one thing talking about stereotyping but most of her claims are just bananas!!! Talk about tarring us all with the one brush! Why is she still here if she hates us so much?

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Yowser! That makes for harsh reading but she's not far off the mark either in fairness

what, the people of County Galway are slack jawed yokels with bugs bunny like teeth because we commit incest?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Entertaining article.
    She does have some points though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

it is said on the galway forum that she works for a right-wing conservative newspaper in germany. :p says a lot about the people who agree with her. :):)

she sound a bit "hell hath no fury" to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Fuinseog wrote: »
    already a thread started in Galway county. given that Ballygar is outside the city limits I thought it would be more suitable there.

Ballygar is practically in Roscommon (the hurling club even played in the Roscommon championship for a while).

snubbleste wrote: »
    Entertaining article.
    She does have some points though.

she is more nasty and bitter than critical.

I wonder is she still living in Ballygar or did she leave just before the hit the fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thread in county closed as we have this here and Fuinseog started another in AH.

I'll just ask everyone to keep their comments civil, this is a local person we are discussing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The more I read, the more Alan spoke to me...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

"Queer music" says she. Didn't know Kylie was doing Friday nights in Monroes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

biko wrote: »

I'll just ask everyone to keep their comments civil, this is a local person we are discussing.

Good to see that we will give her the courtesy, that she denies the Irish people;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭squonk

If she dislikes the country this much then she really shouldn't be here. I'm sure nobody is forcing her to stay. I feel sorry for her missing out on not getting traditional music. Her loss. Her comments on incest are, at best, ignorant, at worst, plain racist. She takes some small nuggets of truth in some circumstances and blows them out disproportianatly. She's not doing herself any favours in showcasing her skills as a journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Wellllll ....

She's not quite right on the musicality front: in my experience the amount of musical appreciation here (lots of different genres) is far higher than that found in other countries.

I'm not going to comment on anything else in the article. :cool:

But I will say that you're lucky she didn't go into toilet habits. All I'm going to say is that in almost five years here, I've never seen an African or an Indian person pissing in the street. I'll leave the rest of this paragraph to your imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

JustMary wrote: »
    Wellllll ....

She's not quite right on the musicality front: in my experience the amount of musical appreciation here (lots of different genres) is far higher than that found in other countries.

But I will say that you're lucky she didn't go into toilet habits. All I'm going to say is that in almost five years here, I've never seen an African or an Indian person pissing in the street. I'll leave the rest of this paragraph to your imagination.

That article is unashamedly racist,Im disappointed with the posters saying "haha she has a point".Thank God Hitler didnt invade Ireland or it seems some of us wouldve just rolled over.
    There are so many hideous assertions to take issue with there that I dont know where to start.Schools across the country are not closing for 2 weeks every time there's a slight cold spell, Irish people are not being advised to have blood tests to see if we are related before we marry,Ireland IS a more green country than others.That's why our dairy products are exported far and wide and why Irish chocolate,even cadburys is creamier and just nicer.Im not sure where she was noting the absense of green exactly.Our weather isn't green obviously,our skies are grey but on land it's greener where it rains. As for the music comment hasn't she heard of U2 and a whole host of musicians from different genres who've made it big beyond this isle. The fact that Imelda etc hasn't done so yet surely reflects on the poor tastes of other nation,not us. We are not a largely racist country either, we house one of europes biggest mosques,we don't have immigrant ghettos,yes there are some racist people but they're despised by the majority and our integration of communities is testament to that.

One thing we would want to do is cop on and realise that in this climate articles like that are not to be responded to with a "haha". What people read about us will built public sentiment throughout Europe and it will have consequences for our financial future and for us when we go abroad. Perception is reality all too often.

Just Mary : disappointing comment. Could you observation possibly be todo with the fact that there is a dramatically smaller Africian or indian population here than there is Irish? Or you done an international survey on public urination? Maybe you need to stop hanging out wherever it is you are hanging out. I don't come across this problem

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I just want to try some 'Starkbier'. It sounds nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

JustMary wrote: »
    Wellllll ....

JustMary, you're not getting an accurate p**sing profile! :p

I've seen non-white people pissing on the street. Now can I swear they are non-Irish, no, but it's probable, same logic as you could say the white Africans!
    Joking aside, you definitely have a point about the amount of abandon coming from boozing. I'd say half these same young lads wouldn't piss on the street if sober.

Any points with a truthful ring that she *was* making in this article are completely negated by her sweeping negative generalisations, including the one, as was highlighted, about our lack of music appreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 NeftDaslari

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

While we're on the ould national stereotypes here, if I had any filligns, I wouldn't exactly be comfortable with a belligerent German have a look at my teeth...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I just want to try some 'Starkbier'. It sounds nice.

A Starkbier is a stronger than normal beer that's usually drank during lent (when we're supposed to go dry). They're not defined by alcohol content, but the content of dissolved solids (starch, sugars, proteins etc). They are usually between 5% and 10% alcohol content, so they'd be stronger than most of the stuff we get on tap (usually4% - 5%).

I'd be inclinded to agree with her assessment of our taste in music though - We produced Jedward FFS :o

Oh, the shame :(

• Advertisement

antoobrien wrote: »
    I'd be inclinded to agree with her assessment of our taste in music though - We produced Jedward FFS :o

Oh, the shame :(

Please dont forget that Germany worship the musical greatness of David Hasselhoff - pot, kettle and all that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

She makes one or two good points (which would also pretty obvious to her if she, even for a second, researched the country she was moving to instead of relying on travel guides. But otherwise pretty ignorant, generalist, and somewhat racist. I wonder what is her reason for being or remaining here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Wow !

What a big load of racist nonsense. I though the Germans had moved on from this kind of stuff?

Makes me think twice about visiting the place if it's full of people like that lady.

I've spent time in quite a lot of countries, and none of them are perfect and you could start ranting and raving about particular aspects of almost all of them, including Germany.

I could quite easily write an article about how Berlin is a depressing, post-soviet hellhole, but I choose to look at its positive points instead of focusing on the ugly architecture and grimy bits. It has a lot of nice aspects too, as does Ireland.

If she hates Ireland that much, perhaps it's time she packed her bags and left.

Also, some of her points are just utter rubbish. For example, the schools closed because we had a freak winter that was so cold that none of our buildings (nor the UK buildings) could cope with it because it was freakishly cold to the level that it was declared a natural disaster. Not because we couldn't afford it the gas.

Her comments about 'sarkbier' are also completely made up as almost all beer sold in Ireland is actually relatively low alcohol volume larger. Strong beers are pretty unusual in an Irish context.

The teeth comments and other comments are just frankly crude racism and stereotyping.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I'd be pure mad just the way this woman is obviously pure mad....if I found myself living in Ballygar. How on earth did she manage that.?? It is over 40 miles from Galway and the kind of town that the Celtic Tiger never even visited to scratch his hole against a wall once of a mishty morning. :D

You could not blame a guidebook for the madness because Ballygar is not in any of them.

She won lots of awards but none it seems since she moved to Ballygar.

Please dont forget that Germany worship the musical greatness of David Hasselhoff - pot, kettle and all that!!!

they supposedly love johnny logan as well.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    they supposedly love johnny logan as well.

I rest my case :P

Jim wrote: »
    She makes one or two good points (which would also pretty obvious to her if she, even for a second, researched the country she was moving to instead of relying on travel guides. But otherwise pretty ignorant, generalist, and somewhat racist. I wonder what is her reason for being or remaining here.

a German newspaper looking for a columnist based in Ireland perhaps?
    She has been writing about this little island country of ours for the last four years. I read through a few of them but they do not say anything meaningful.

It's actually a Swiss paper, even though she's German.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hitler
    I'm glad we got Godwin out of the way :D

What pisses me off mostly is the lack of sources. The article read like a bad blog post (which in my opinion it is). If she posted that on boards she'd be banned.
    One owner of one of these dental deformities once told me that it was the result of incest.
    Consanguinity in Ireland happened in 1 out of 625 marriages 1959–1968.
    http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp?Doi=152333
    As it happens, Ireland seems to be below many other European countries.
    http://www.consang.net/index.php/Global_prevalence

I don't see any good sources on consanguinity in Germany or Switzerland but I'm sure the hills and valleys there have many secrets ;)

• Advertisement

Clearly it doesn't take much to become a journalist for a Swiss paper. :D

No sources, no fact, just go on a big rant!

Thousands of banned boards.ie and banned politics.ie posters could find jobs trolling.

She must have got a bit of a shock when she realised that Irish people can speak German and use Google Translate though.

I'm guessing she never intended her neighbours in Galway to see this particular article :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement