Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treatment Of Jobseekers (Real Jobseekers who are actually seeking Jobs)

• 30-08-2012 10:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know if a employer can hire you one day then decide two days later ohh wait no we don't need anybody now so we have no job for you now. Went for Job on Tuesday was offered a position to start next Monday but then i get a phonecall telling me the person who was originally leaving the Job has decided to stay so there is no longer a postion. Is this legal ?

Comments

Have you signed a contract with the new company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

If you haven't signed a contract, then of course it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Most big firms don't give you a contract until you've worked for 6mths+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

No haven't signed a contract i was thinking that myself just wanted to make sure is its allowed is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

JeffK88 wrote: »
    No haven't signed a contract i was thinking that myself just wanted to make sure is its allowed is all.

Course it's allowed. In that case get back down to the dole and sign back on. It's what I had to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Does anybody know if a employer can hire you one day then decide two days later ohh wait no we don't need anybody now so we have no job for you now. Went for Job on Tuesday was offered a position to start next Monday but then i get a phonecall telling me the person who was originally leaving the Job has decided to stay so there is no longer a postion. Is this legal ?

Yup.

Back to this dole **** again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

ask if they can be used as reference maybe?
    also, take positives from the fact that they thought you were suitable for the job
    good luck finding job

Back to this dole **** again..

Disappointing but consider it progress.

You made it though the interviews. You must be doing something right.

wprathead wrote: »
    ask if they can be used as reference maybe?
    also, take positives from the fact that they thought you were suitable for the job
    good luck finding job

Not a bad idea. At least i got more interview experience, which is a always a good thing. I'II motor on searching for something, anything at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

It's cúntish, but not illegal since you didn't get to sign a contract. Really bad form. Sorry to hear :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 darya

I'm in a similar situation, but I did received an offer of employment and was with them for a few weeks, then received a letter for a meeting saying that my suitability for the position will be discussed...I was on training the entire period and didn't have any tasks or deadlines...the person who I was supposed to replace changed it's mind so now I face being dismiss on disciplinary ground although I didn't do anything wrong...is this fair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

WTF?? That's a pretty ****ty thing to do to someone. OP was it a job you always wanted to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

darya wrote: »
    I'm in a similar situation, but I did received an offer of employment and was with them for a few weeks, then received a letter for a meeting saying that my suitability for the position will be discussed...I was on training the entire period and didn't have any tasks or deadlines...the person who I was supposed to replace changed it's mind so now I face being dismiss on disciplinary ground although I didn't do anything wrong...is this fair?

Are you being dismissed because the position is no longer available or on disciplinary ground??

To the OP, the "staff member changed their mind" is a common used excuse when they decide they just don't want to hire you. Any chance they rang for a reference from someone after they offered you the job and you got a negative reference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Everyone at work & earning a wage has a contract of employment, regardless of whether or not it is in writing.

Not sure how this affects you as you had been offered employment and scheduled to begin, but had not actually began working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I got caught in a similar position earlier this year, got the interview, got a contract and a start date, had to rush out and renew my safe pass card (1 day course). Then my start date slipped a few days, then slipped again, then I found out that they didn't have an approved budget for me, then it fell through.

I was seriously pissed off but realistically there was nothing that I (or they) could do and there was no point in upsetting one of the biggest employers in the country (in my game). I did however use the guilt card and kept in touch and after a couple of months, they got back to me with an offer for another role which I'm happily working in.

Looking back, although I was upset at the time, it was still a huge boost to my ego getting the offer, after a couple of years of being beaten down by dead trails and braindead rude ignorant agents and interviewers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

later12 wrote: »
    Everyone at work & earning a wage has a contract of employment, regardless of whether or not it is in writing.

Not sure how this affects you as you had been offered employment and scheduled to begin, but had not actually began working.

You do have a contract by just being there, but if you do not have a written contract, you can be released from any job within one year of starting without being able to dispute it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Was it a CE Scheme job by any chance? They can be extended for up to three years depending on government approval, so technically they have to advertise and then withdraw depending on if they are allowed to continue with the scheme and if the current employer is happy with the current employees work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Agree with the "it was cuntish of them" comments.

Being honest, this is just apart of a whole load of other reasons to not care about your job. A company says they'll hire you, they dont. A company says they wont fire you, but do.

I have never honestly cared about any company i've ever worked for. Am I alone on this one? :P

Agree with the "it was cuntish of them" comments.

Being honest, this is just apart of a whole load of other reasons to not care about your job. A company says they'll hire you, they dont. A company says they wont fire you, but do.

I have never honestly cared about any company i've ever worked for. Am I alone on this one? :P

I've cared about the people, whether it's the boss or the CEO but not the 'company'. If I don't know/like the people that would be affected by my departure then there's no reason to hesitate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Biodegradable Bellend

That's rotten. Hope your luck changes soon.

No wasn't a job i've always wanted. Was just a Job to keep me ticking over really save up some money and get off the live register. As for bad Reference I doubt that was it, im guessing it was just a company who love the current times and use it to their advantage to pick and choose, change their minds whenever they want without any bother. But Don't care anymore might have another job lined up 'fingers crossed'. Job market in past few days seems to be opening a little in certain area's prob because of schools,college going back.

Advertisement