Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fiorentina statement

• 30-08-2012 10:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭

"ACF Fiorentina announces that it missed the acquisition of the player Dimitar Berbatov after we had reached an agreement with Manchester United & a verbal understanding with the player on his contract.

During today, the English club had granted him written permission to travel to Florence for medical & sign a contract. The player - accompanied by his agent - embarked on a flight to Florence with tickets paid for by the club.

But the player never arrived in Florence because of reckless & arrogant actions of other clubs which have nothing to do with the values of honesty, fair play & sporting ethics which lie beyond the boundaries of loyalty.

As for the player - notwithstanding his characteristics & technical merit - at this point we are happy that he did not come to Fiorentina as he is not worthy of our city, our shirt and the values it represents."

Love it :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I don't get it. Did United prevent him from going?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

I *think* their ire is directed at Juve who were also interested in the player and United aren't implicated. I thought it wasn't an infrequent occurance that clubs gazump other clubs so I'm a tiny bit surprised but slightly amused at their statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

No. Berbatov was getting a connecting flight to Florence from Munich but decided to go to Juventus so he never arrived in Florence. Fiorentina paid for the flights.

And apparently he is joining Fulham!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

No. United accepted the bid and allowed him to travel.

Fiorentina's gripe seems to be with Juve and Berbatov, not United.

Juventus made a bid at the last minute, so he didn't go to Florence. Berba seemingly preferred a move to Juventus, but decided he didn't want to unsettle his family, and he'd prefer to stay in England (according to a statement made by Juve).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If it is true its poor form from Berbatov but if Fulham are willing to pay him similar money to Fiorentina then why up root your family to another country when you can travel down the road to London and stay in the EPL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If it is true its poor form from Berbatov but if Fulham are willing to pay him similar money to Fiorentina then why up root your family to another country when you can travel down the road to London and stay in the EPL.

It definately is poor form from Berbatov the least he could of done is alerted the club that he wouldnt be arriving in Florence and maybe reinburst them for the cost of the flights, although I somehow cant see that happening :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

If for some reason he doesn't agree with Fulham there are going to be some pretty pissed off people at Old Trafford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

And apparently Fergie isn't keen on dealing with Juve following their capture of Paul Pogba earlier this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Bad form considering he was on a flight paid for by Fiorentina, but I thought this kind of thing happens all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Fiorentina have a point re the character of the player who does something like this. It would have been hilarious to see him at Juventus with Vucinic - two lazy broody types leading the line :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Gringo180 wrote: »
    It definately is poor form from Berbatov the least he could of done is alerted the club that he wouldnt be arriving in Florence and maybe reinburst them for the cost of the flights, although I somehow cant see that happening :rolleyes:

Cost of flights to Florence are hardly going to bankrupt the club though are they? :p

Thers not much honesty in football anyway and its not a reflection on Berbatov but if any player had been given a similar situation then the outcome would be the same the majority of the time I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Pj! wrote: »
    If for some reason he doesn't agree with Fulham there are going to be some pretty pissed off people at Old Trafford.

Not least of all, Berbatov himself.
    And apparently Fergie isn't keen on dealing with Juve following their capture of Paul Pogba earlier this summer.

Do you have a genuine source or did you just jump to that conclusion yourself?

Seems odd that he talked to Juventus without the clubs approval then.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Cost of flights to Florence are hardly going to bankrupt the club though are they? :p

Of course not, but morally I think its the right thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

He kind of did a similar thing for his move to Manchester United albeit not in quite as dramatic circumstances. City had a bid accepted first but he arrived in Manchester to talk to United before permission to talk to them was granted allegedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

The offer that Fiorentina gave berba was really really poor.

strange set up though, pretty much exactly the same as his transfer to United. if he had agreed to join them, its bad form.

Still a very good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Does anyone remember a few years back when Fiorentina were relegated a few divisions and Di Livio and Torrecilli I think it was stayed on with a huge pay cut to help them back up? That was classy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Does anyone remember a few years back when Fiorentina were relegated a few divisions and Di Livio and Torrecilli I think it was stayed on with a huge pay cut to help them back up? That was classy stuff.
    Moreno Toricelli. Now theres a blast from the past. Beast in his day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Torrecilli refused to train for a while and left 4 months later though.

Di Livio stayed with them until they were propmted. Played half of a season in A and then retired. Fair play to him.

Classy stuff from Di Livio alright, thats something that would very rarely happen in todays game unfortunately :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm sorry but that statement is completely unprofessional posturing on behalf of Fiorentina. Typical over-the-top Italian grandstanding to try gloss over their own shortcomings, namely, that they couldn't convince a player to come to their club.

Players change their mind at the last minute all the time; clubs get sniped by opposing bids; cost of transporting players is often a complete waste. What bloody planet do these clowns live on?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that statement is completely unprofessional posturing on behalf of Fiorentina. Typical over-the-top Italian grandstanding to try gloss over their own shortcomings, namely, that they couldn't convince a player to come to their club.

Players change their mind at the last minute all the time; clubs get sniped by opposing bids; cost of transporting players is often a complete waste. What bloody planet do these clowns live on?

Do you not think its completely unprofessional what Berbatov did??

Eh, if people are waiting at an airport for you to walk off a plane letting them know that you aren't on that plane would probably be the classy thing to do...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Eh, if people are waiting at an airport for you to walk off a plane letting them know that you aren't on that plane would probably be the classy thing to do...

Especially when they have paid a couple of grand for two first class tickets for you and your agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Classy stuff from Di Livio alright, thats something that would very rarely happen in todays game unfortunately :mad:

It wasn't that long ago. Del Piero and Buffon stayed on with Juve when they got demoted and Jim Crawford (legend) stayed on with Shels when it happened to them.

Of course Fiorentina would have a right to feel annoyed, but to go public like that is completely unprofessional and undignified, no matter what way you look at it - it's either a smokescreen to fans (most likely - oh look at all the effort we put in, it's not our fault we didn't sign the player) or it's just an impulsive ventilation of their frustration.

Also, have any of these details been confirmed by anyone other than Fiorentina?

Of course Fiorentina would have a right to feel annoyed, but to go public like that is completely unprofessional and undignified, no matter what way you look at it - it's either a smokescreen to fans (most likely - oh look at all the effort we put in, it's not our fault we didn't sign the player) or it's just an impulsive ventilation of their frustration.

Meh, honesty should be welcomed. It's a big 'you are a classless prick' to Dimatar Berbatov who, to be fair, appears to be a classless prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Apparently there are photos (not vouching for them!)

berbatovf.jpg

I was told that the chairman himself was at the airport to meet him. Let's be honest, a man with that amount of money and power is not going to take such a humiliation well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

He agreed to sign for them and was about to sign a contract. sounds like they were doing ok to get him to sign

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Berbatov didn't want to go to the hassle of changing his mobile phone provider, so he stayed in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Berbatov didn't want to go to the hassle of changing his mobile phone provider, so he stayed in England.
    I heard there was no little electric golf car in the airport with the flashing light and annoying beep to take him through the terminal to arrivals, so he didn't bother going.

Meh, honesty should be welcomed. It's a big 'you are a classless prick' to Dimatar Berbatov who, to be fair, appears to be a classless prick.

But this assumes they are reporting the events in an honest fashion.

I have far too much experience with Italian PR to take that statement at face value.

According to Italian media today Berbatov phoned Fiorentina to try to revive the deal - while he was at Fulham awaiting his medical.

Quote from Juventus:
    “Seeing what happened, perhaps it is better that he did not join us, as we are talking about an unreliable player.”
    http://www.football-italia.net/24573/carrera-bendtner-berbatov-and-udinese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

There was an obvious miscommunication somewhere and I love the way people are jabbing the knife at Berba. If he got a better offer and more money elsewhere then fair play and if I was a player and my agent does the negotiating, which all agents do btw, then it was the responsibility of the agent to let the club know I was going to discuss terms elsewhere.

No, what this is really about is a thinly veiled swipe at a former Manchester United player.

It's bemusing how sensitive people become all of a sudden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

No, what this is really about is a thinly veiled swipe at a former Manchester United player.

Fiorentina are taking a swipe at him because he's a Manchester United player?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

osarusan wrote: »
    Fiorentina are taking a swipe at him because he's a Manchester United player?

No. I'm talking about this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

The story being told in the media seems at odds with the manner in which Berbatov had behaved while being frozen out at United - showed a lot of class in not striking out at SAF or the club. Wouldnt be at all sure we're hearing the full truth here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

That Fiorentina statement is pretty much standard for Serie A sides. It's what i love about Italy, their crazy character and personality. Although i love English football, you'd never in a million years see that in the PL/Championship.

I agree, except I don't think it's so sudden, though I suppose in a way it is admirable that they would still blindly support a player who has left for another club (Fulham in this case).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

I had heard Bendtner was linked with Milan but went to Juve.
    If the same thing happened...thank you so much Juve.
    Im glad Milan wont have to face Berba as well as Jovetic. What a pairing that would have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

speechless.gif

Advertisement