Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limit on Laser online payments?

Options
  • 30-08-2012 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm trying to make a payment to Apple using my laser card, It's €1600 and has been declined. I'd usually give the bank a quick call to sort this out but I'm abroad and can't make the call as I'll probably spend quite a lot to make it.

Can someone advise as to what I can do in this situation? I think I read the max by default is €1500 (typical!) so I need to up this, Can you advise how?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Ricky91t,

Thanks for getting in touch.

You could ask the merchant to process the total amount in two smaller transactions, it should then go through with no issues. If you are making the payment in a shop, you could also withdraw cash at an ATM and make the payment with cash and the balance with your card.

Thanks,
    Tara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Hi Ricky91t,

You could ask the merchant to process the total amount in two smaller transactions, it should then go through with no issues. If you are making the payment in a shop, you could also withdraw cash at an ATM and make the payment with cash and the balance with your card.

Thanks,
    Tara

Hey Tara,

Is that a nice way of saying its not possible to up the limit?

This would really be the ideal way as you have a forum for easy communication and apple don't, I can only call apple which I don't want to do as this'll cost me a lot to call Ireland while abroad.

Thanks

Hi Ricky91t,

We can't increase the limit from our side, however, the retailer may be able to seek authorisation from their side for a transaction of a higher amount.

Thanks,
    Tara

Hi Ricky91t,

We can't increase the limit from our side, however, the retailer may be able to seek authorisation from their side for a transaction of a higher amount.

Thanks,
    Tara

Ok, would this be something they'd be aware of? Or is there instructions I can provide them with to help them sort this out?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi Ricky91t,

We would not be sure if they are aware that it is possible, apple would have to contact their bank or authorisation centre to see if they can do it.

Thanks
    Linda

• Advertisement

Hi Ricky91t,

We would not be sure if they are aware that it is possible, apple would have to contact their bank or authorisation centre to see if they can do it.

Thanks
    Linda

Ok thanks, out of interest why can't the body that set the limit remove it themselves and why do I have to get apple do it instead?

To me it seems a bit silly that I can't remove a limit set by bank of Ireland and instead I have to get a company who aren't customers with bank of Ireland to seek authorisation on my account/laser card to take a larger amount of money than the limit set by yourselves.

Where as the easy way would be for me to ask you to up the limit, and then I re-process the payment from the apple site and we're all happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi Ricky91t,

We cannot alter individual customer's Point of Sale limits.

I hope you've been able to make your payment to Apple.
    Thanks,
    Graham

Hi Ricky91t,

We cannot alter individual customer's Point of Sale limits.

I hope you've been able to make your payment to Apple.
    Thanks,
    Graham

I'm actually incredibly annoyed with Bank of Ireland now, the support here was poor and absolutely no help.

I can't see it's physically possible that a limit set by the bank can't be changed by the bank and you've now forced me to cancel my order with apple as it was a discount only available online.

I spoke to apple and they were quite amused that the bank were asking me to get apple to split a payment to avoid a limit set by them.

If you can't even change/control a limit on a customers laser card you're basically preventing them from spending more money than what you think is right for them, I'd prefer to be able to set this myself or at least contact the bank to alter it temporarily and not have someone in the bank who doesn't know me saying how much I can spend in one transaction.

I've been a loyal customer with Bank of Ireland for nearly 10 years but after this I'm going to look into other banks that have more control over their systems.

Yes this is just a one off, but if I need to do something in the future like this I'd prefer to not experience the same point of sale issue.

Hi Ricky91t,

We're sorry to hear you were unable to make your purchase with Apple and that the suggestion we offered did not work for you on this occasion.

We have passed on your feedback to the relevant department.

Thanks,
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

I thought I'd post my question here as its regarding laser card limits too. I would like to know exactly what the limits are on my laser card for the following:

- limit per transaction on a laser card (€1500?)
    - overall daily limit for transactions on account (€2500?)*

Are these figures correct? Also are the above still correct for the new Visa Debit cards? I would hope the transaction limits are different for Visa Debit as I find the €1500 limit on Laser is very restrictive.

* I am currently paying college which are a €6000+ and trying to pay them online with my laser. How can I best get around the laser limits for this apart from €1500 each day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 PaulDalyRoI

Dave6195 wrote: »
    I find the €1500 limit on Laser is very restrictive.

I wish I had that problem!! :D

Hi Dave6195,

The transaction limit for Laser cards is €1500. With Visa Debit, you can make purchases up to the available funds in your account, from time to time authorisation may be required.
    Dave6195 wrote: »
    * I am currently paying college which are a €6000+ and trying to pay them online with my laser. How can I best get around the laser limits for this apart from €1500 each day?

You would need to check with the college if they have an alternative method of accepting payments. They may accept electronic transfers or lodgements.

Hope this helps.
    Tara

Advertisement