Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Franchise Announcement

Options
  • 30-08-2012 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭

With Madden 13 officially coming out tomorrow, it's time to get the ball rolling regarding our franchise.

Firstly, after talking with Raoul and Dave, we feel it's important that people get an opportunity to play pre season as it is a massive opportunity to improve your 2nd string players and to see what they can actually do. Due to time constraints however, pre season will run on a shorter timescale and over 2 weeks, with week 1 being Monday to Wednesday, week 2 being Thursday to Sunday and the same for week 3 and 4. If a player can't make a game in the shorter time frame, it is important to put yourself on autopilot to allow the CPU to play for you.

Secondly, for us to complete three seasons with Pre Season, we need to have 3 game weeks in every 2 weeks, so basically games will be played Monday-Thursday, Friday-Tuesday and Wednesday-Sunday. I propose that we start the league on Monday September 10th. Running this will allow us to complete our third season around the 25th of August, which would be perfect for the new Madden game next year. There will be no early advancements. As there is practice to be done as well as playing your games, and contract resignings too, it would be massively unfair to advance early, so regardless of games being played, the game week will not be advanced early. Also, FA and the NFL draft will take place over one week with the draft being the Sunday/Monday.

Finally, the draft. Myself and Raoul thought it would be a great idea for a blind draft. This would not be the case of if a player picks 20th, they have to rank 20 teams in preference. The idea would be that over PM, I would move through the draft list. So firstly I would PM Dave with the available teams, he would PM me back with his team, I would then remove that team from the available list and PM whoever is picking 2nd. I would do this up until pick 12 when I would transfer the available teams over to Raoul after he has made his pick, meaning I would not be getting an unfavorable advantage.

We think it would be some amount of craic and banter if we were to then release a division every couple of hours for people to discuss. It also makes the draft completely fair and opens up the possibility of the players near the end of the draft all ending up in the same division. New players will also be put to the end of the draft, as a reward to players who have been playing with us and can be trusted to play their games on time. We would also like the draft to start on Monday.

As always, we are a community so as much as it is how we would like to advance, it is not set in stone and welcome every one to have their input on all the issues above.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

I love the sound of the blind draft. It will be a massive talking point. I'm in a different league and it's fun seeing everyone's pick but it would cool having the divisions posted up and discussions after.

Happy with the 3 games over 14 days . No real difference to 5 day game week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

So are we kicking off pre-season next Monday Ben?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Happy with all the above aswell.

Are we kicking off the draft now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Plan is for the draft to start next Monday, 3rd September.

Pre Season to start Monday, 10th September.

Regular Season to start Monday, 24th September.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Raoul

Perfect!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Having picked the 49ers and Browns in 2 other franchises, all I ask of the Madden gods for this is a decent QB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

all of that sounds good to me

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Sorry Guys, new to the madden forums ( but not to madden :cool: )
    Where do I sign up?

HowAreWe wrote: »
    Sorry Guys, new to the madden forums ( but not to madden :cool: )
    Where do I sign up?

You just have! :)

Will pm you more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sounds good to me lads, cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Raoul wrote: »
    You just have! :)

Will pm you more details.

Ah Brilliant! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Great work Ben.

Two things.

Roster update is ( rumoured ) to be out on September 11th. Something to maybe consider.

Has the Commissioner the power to autopilot a player?

Berty44 wrote: »
    Great work Ben.

Two things.

Roster update is ( rumoured ) to be out on September 11th. Something to maybe consider.

Has the Commissioner the power to autopilot a player?

Then we should definitely wait for the roster update. We can see closer to the time when it is actually out though.

As for pmming your picks, we will also be updating the rules over the course of the week, and we expect everyone to say with their pick that they have read the rules.

We are planning to continue coming down hard on people not playing the game fairly and sportsman like.

Completely forgot about the roster update. We will wait for that and catch you later on in the year. It's only a couple of days anyways. I'm not sure Berty but I know you can do it in NCAA so I hope the commish will be able to!! If not it could be carnage :/

Autopilot I read somewhere that you could. If its in NCAA you probably can.

As for roster update, that date is only a rumour but it does usually happen that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

SantryRed wrote: »
    There will be no early advancements. As there is practice to be done as well as playing your games, and contract resignings too, it would be massively unfair to advance early, so regardless of games being played, the game week will not be advanced early.

Just quick question on this. Can you do your practices during a gameweek after you've played your game?
    If so, then this makes sense.
    If not, then is there anything for you to do if all games have been played?

Great stuff btw guys, thanks again to everyone who has organised this and helped the BFL grow. Excited for M13, even though won't be able to play it until Monday due to work.

Just quick question on this. Can you do your practices during a gameweek after you've played your game?
    If so, then this makes sense.
    If not, then is there anything for you to do if all games have been played?

Great stuff btw guys, thanks again to everyone who has organised this and helped the BFL grow. Excited for M13, even though won't be able to play it until Monday due to work.

Yes, you can do practice at any time, before oe after your game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Preseason... I think I will sit preseason out.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Preseason... I think I will sit preseason out.

You're going to need to cut players.

And you might as well try new things out. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

What way will we be doing free agency? It seems in year 1 it's on a first come first served basis so if a one of us gets there first we could sign all the best FA's providing we have the cap space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

SantryRed wrote: »
    You're going to need to cut players.

And you might as well try new things out. ;)

Can't I just name the 53 man roster on day one and leave until the regular season.

Paully D wrote: »
    What way will we be doing free agency? It seems in year 1 it's on a first come first served basis so if a one of us gets there first we could sign all the best FA's providing we have the cap space.

That will not happen. I know Ben/Raoul is aware of this and there are some options.

The solution I used in the Pro Franchise was that whoever picks last in the draft gets first choice in FA and the pickups go in reverse order of the draft all the way back to whoever picked 1st, then reverses snake like back down the way again. Probably a very good solution here as the newbies who pick at the end of the draft get some consolation. Free Agents will only sign for 1 year and for a specific amount.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It's a good system, though i cant imagine there being too many free agents worth signing, free agency has essentially already finished.

you'll be able to get the likes of ryan grant, maybe chad johnson and whoever gets cut from the various teams in the franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

so the draft is monday ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭Guffy

Can I sign up? Need a bit of info though. Is draft on Monday or after update?

Wait this for Xbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

not sure if we're going to be using sliders but here are the ones I've been using. They're pretty good, most of my games are close and it's pretty realistic stats wise. I had to tweak them a small bit to get them right for me but if we are using sliders I think these would be a good place to start.

Sliders

Yeah, it's for xbox mate. Don't say you're on PS3! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭Guffy

No on Xbox:-) just making sure.... I'm in so.

We're up to 29 now I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HeartOfTheCity

Is there still the 32nd spot going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Roster update coming Saturday morning with 53 man rosters finalised

Advertisement