Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about failing modules and Award Classification

Options
  • 30-08-2012 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey,

I'm currently a third year student of a level 8/honors degree in DIT, and long story short, I will likely be going into fourth with two modules marked as 40 (referral grades from taking two modules as an internal repeat). My course assesses the grades from third and fourth years, so its my understanding that because of this section of the General Assessment Regulations:
    5.2.3 Award classification in case of student failure

Students who fail the assessment of one or more of the modules which contribute to their final award classification may resit the assessment once for each of those modules without prejudice to the award of Honours/Merit or Distinction.
    Students who fail the resit of any of these modules will not be eligible for the Honours /Merit or Distinction classification.

that even if I get an aggregate average of module results for a 2.2/Second Class Honours, Lower Division award, I would actually only get a Pass Degree.

How is that noted exactly -
    a 50-69% Pass Degree,
    a 2.2-2.1 @ 50-69% but strictly labelled as a Pass Degree or
    a Pass Degree just capped at 40% regardless of individual module results?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭VickBack

The first resit your marks are capped at 40... and if you pass the 40 will go toward your average for your final classification. As in the average of all of your other subjects will be obtained with yer results from the exams you have passed and the 40% capped marks. What ever this average is will be the award classification.

But if you fail the resit... Your whole degree is capped at a pass degree. It doesn't matter how well you may have done in other subjects the degree will only be a pass degree (40% regardless). It's the same thing for my course. It's quite hard to explain but this is the best I could do.

I hope I helped?

Advertisement