Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science vs The Business of Science

• 30-08-2012 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I've just finished my Bachelors in Biomedical Science from NUIM. I'm still a little unsure over my future and have spent a lot of time considering it without much progress. I've been accepted to two MSc programmes. One in Biotechnology and Business in UCD and Translational Oncology in Trinity.

Basically I'm not sure whether to stick to the scientific/lab based side or turn to business and the potential for a lot more money early on.

Although the Biotech MSc would keep my options open I feel it would take me further away from science should I decide after that I want to, for instance, do a PhD.

Anyone got any advice?

PS I've considered other routes like Postgrad Medicine but financially it's not viable now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

SteG1990 wrote: »
    Basically I'm not sure whether to stick to the scientific/lab based side or turn to business and the potential for a lot more money early on.
    Business will pay better than science regardless of what stage of your career you're at, but anyway...

Forget about money for a minute - what would you like to be doing on a day-to-day basis? Getting your hands dirty at a lab bench? Or reviewing research proposals and/or clinical trial data in an office?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SteG1990

To be fair I am leaning (probably 70:30) to science.

But does anyone know much about the MSc Biotech and Business in UCD. If I did it would I still have a decent shot at getting a PhD?
    or would it hinder me that my Masters wasn't completely focused on pure science?

But does anyone know much about the MSc Biotech and Business in UCD. If I did it would I still have a decent shot at getting a PhD?
    Why do you want to do a "Business of Science" masters if you later might want to pure science PhD?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SteG1990

That's the problem, I'm still undecided on my choice. A bachelors doesn't exactly provide you with enough lab experience to let you know whether you'd enjoy doing it full time.
    I've heard people who love it and people who felt isolated and hated doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Woodward

If you have a good grade in your degree I say you could get into a PhD with the business masters. Some supervisors might even prefer it and exploit your skills for spinning out their research

• Advertisement

That's the problem, I'm still undecided on my choice. A bachelors doesn't exactly provide you with enough lab experience to let you know whether you'd enjoy doing it full time.
    Sounds like you need to get yourself some experience working in a lab then! Apart from helping you to make up your mind as to what to do long-term, it will look great on your CV if you decide to apply for PhD positions. It might be difficult to find lab positions in Ireland at the moment, but there'll probably be a few. If you're prepared to travel (again, looks very good on your CV if you're thinking of doing a PhD), you should be able to find something somewhere. Loads of research assistant positions on jobs.ac.uk, for example:

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/cgi-bin/search.cgi?keywords=research+assistant

Advertisement