Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualification to teach Construction Studies

• 30-08-2012 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all..

I am at my wits end with the teaching council at the moment..and I'm hoping someone out there has been in my situation to give me some advice!

My qualifications to date are as follows:
    Post Graduate Certificate in Education, Secondary in Design & Technology (Edge Hill University, Lancashire, UK)
    B.Sc Hons in Construction Economics and Management - Quantity Surveying (Dublin Institute of Technology, Bolton Street)
    B.Sc in Construction in Building Management (Galway Mayo Institute of Technology)
    Higher Certificate in Science in Construction (Galway Mayo Institute of Technology)

I have applied to teaching council of Ireland for registration to teach Construction Studies and Technology. I have been granted recognition for Technology, however they have told me there is a shortfall in my qualifications to teach Construction Studies. (Despite being a qualified Quantity Surveyor with several years industrial experience!!:mad:) They have told me that I will have to complete further study at Level 7/8 on the NFQ in the following specific areas:
    a) Manufacturing (relating to practical work in Construction Studies)
    b) Materials Processing (relating to practical project work in Construction Studies)
    c) Woodworking Skills (relating to practical project work in Construction Studies)
    d) Project Management
    e) Design & Make Skills
    f) Workshop Management

Can ANYONE tell me how I can address these shortfalls without returning to do another expensive Graduate Diploma??
    I have been looking at the Graduate Diploma in Education (Technology) through University of Limerick..BUT..I have been advised that this still might not satisfy the teaching council, if they already have a problem with my primary degree!

I would be eternally grateful for ANY advice on my predicament!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Yea I'm not sure would the grad dip actually do as the problem is with your degree. To be guaranteed the right answer you really need to ring the TC as bad as that might be.

To be honest I can see why they picked those areas, although you do have the Construction side you do not have the practical side in any of your qualifications which is obviously a huge part of a Construcion teacher as you are also a Woodwork teacher. 90% practical work in reality there also. Practical is worth 50% in LC Construction studies.

One thing that jumps out at me is the lack of DCG. There are very very few jobs out there that are not either Technology & DCG or Construction & DCG.
    Every job that's advertised asks for the Tech Graphics Section. I would worry about this

• Registered Users Posts: 8 crottyk

seavill.. thanks for your reply. since my first post I have managed to speak to the head of the course in UL, and he has assured me that their grad dip will cover these shortfalls and allow recognition with the teaching council.
    I totally agree with your point about the lack of practical work, but I had hoped that maybe there is a shorter, less expensive course somewhere which would cover the practical woodwork side, and at least allow me to get recognition for Construction Studies for the time being. Maybe this might even entail studying specific modules of an undergraduate degree.
    An 18month post grad at this moment in time seems a big undertaking, providing that I would even be lucky to get a place on the course!

Yea I know what you are saying about having to do another 18 months I was just saying knowing the course I could see where they were coming from.
    I didn't really have any answer to your question in truth.

If I were you I would still double check the info given by the head of the course with the TC. Many people have been caught out before and only find out when it's too late. Checking is no harm.

As you will be there I would still look into see is there extra modules for dcg you could do also. Construction and technology is not the best combination

As far as I know the Post Grad in Limerick covers option a) Cons Studies/Woodwork and DCG/Tech Drawing, or option b) Engineering/Metalwork and DCG Tech Drawing.
    You're right though, I will be doing some more research before committing to anything. The DCG also seems a must when you look at the jobs advertised, however few there may be these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

You would need to get the drawing end sorted alright, I have had a few colleagues who were very weak at drawing over the years.

It is rare to get a woodwork only job, the drawing shouldn't be seen as a second subject. Both are main subjects, more drawing one year more wood the next maybe.

I only know one person who teaches drawing only. I suspect that the 18 month course will leave you lacking in drawing skill. I learned more drawing for my leaving cert than I did in four years in UL.

• Advertisement

crottyk wrote: »
    As far as I know the Post Grad in Limerick covers option a) Cons Studies/Woodwork and DCG/Tech Drawing, or option b) Engineering/Metalwork and DCG Tech Drawing.
    You're right though, I will be doing some more research before committing to anything. The DCG also seems a must when you look at the jobs advertised, however few there may be these days!

Yes it would be included but would your degree give you enough credits to be registered for it

seavill wrote: »
    crottyk wrote: »

Yes it would be included but would your degree give you enough credits to be registered for it

I'm not sure seavill I know that two of my past students got on to it with apprenticeships in carpentry.

they are teaching now.

Sorry didnt say that very well, I didn't mean his ability to get onto the post grad.

I was talking about getting registered with the TC for DCG as like with the construction, the post grad does not qualify him to teach it on its own he must also make up the credits, so I am suggesting that he also look to build up the credits for DCG also while doing it so that he can also be registered for DCG

Sorry didnt say that very well, I didn't mean his ability to get onto the post grad.

I was talking about getting registered with the TC for DCG as like with the construction, the post grad does not qualify him to teach it on its own he must also make up the credits, so I am suggesting that he also look to build up the credits for DCG also while doing it so that he can also be registered for DCG

These lads are teaching DCG too so I don't know.

bdoo wrote: »
    These lads are teaching DCG too so I don't know.

Yea but we are talking about his ability to register based on his degrees based on the OP. Does not have enough credits for construction and is looking to register for Construction and Technology so no mention of DCG thats what I'm getting at.

We may be talking about 2 different things. I'm not referring to people on the post grad being able to teach DCG, everything is based on the initial degree of the person isn't it

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the input guys.
    If I could just add.. currently I have been given recognition by the teaching council to teach Technology (which is not a subject in demand,nor likely to be, but at the very least I now have a Registration No. with the T.C, meaning I can continue to do cover from time to time, resource work, learning support etc. Without the teaching reg under the new Section.30 act I would have been unable to work in a school setting at all!)

I also agree that being fully qualified for Construction, Materials Tech Wood and DCG would be the ideal scenario. I believe from speaking to the course Directior in UL, that this Dip would address any shortfalls those subject areas, be it Woodwork, Construction Studies practical or DCG, and he has told me that others with the same Degree as myself have completed it and now fully registered with the Teaching Council. This aside, there are only 16 places available on the course this year!

I can 100% appreciate the fact that the T.C have identified shortfalls in my qualifications in the practical side of construction studies, as lifting a scale rule or a trundle wheel is about as practical as Quantity Surveying gets!! However, I had hoped that there was some course out there through which I could up-skill in the practical areas and just get my registration for Construction Studies. This would leave me in a position to take up cover work for Construction Studies if the opportunity arose this year, and continue working in until I am in a more financially stable situation to pursue a qualification in DCG. due to personal circumstances,going back to do a full time Dip is not ideal at the moment.
    The T.C,surprisingly enough have not been very helpful with this!! I have asked could I speak to someone in there who could advise me where or how I could address this shortfall, they have refused. I asked could I speak to the independent assessor or could my query be passed on to him (he has identified the shortfalls so would obviously have some idea how to address them)..again they refused.
    I have been in touch with GMIT Letterfrack (whom I must add were very helpful and a pleasure to deal with)..and there is a possibility that I could slot into certain modules of an undergraduate course over 2 years. But again, this is pending approval from the T.C..and also its 2 years!!

The only thing I would say is don't take the course directors word for anything. Check with tc before doing any more to see if the modules on the grad dip are acceptable to them. When he says is irrelevant if they decide any different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

The only thing I would say is don't take the course directors word for anything. Check with tc before doing any more to see if the modules on the grad dip are acceptable to them. When he says is irrelevant if they decide any different

I agree with this - the lecturer is only interested in getting you into the programme - he really doesn't care after that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

bdoo wrote: »
    You would need to get the drawing end sorted alright, I have had a few colleagues who were very weak at drawing over the years.

It is rare to get a woodwork only job, the drawing shouldn't be seen as a second subject. Both are main subjects, more drawing one year more wood the next maybe.

I only know one person who teaches drawing only. I suspect that the 18 month course will leave you lacking in drawing skill. I learned more drawing for my leaving cert than I did in four years in UL.

+1 to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14 Broom16

Did you look into doing the course in Belfast, its called the 6131 practical course. I have a degree in building surveying and I am doing the T&D PGCE course in jordanstown. I got a email from the teaching council that this will be recognised to teach construction studies as long as I complete a 2 hour exam in maynooth. Our Lecturer told us no where in England do this 6131, and anyone that does do the T&D PGCE course in England come over to Jordanstown to complete the 6131.

Broom16 wrote: »
    Did you look into doing the course in Belfast, its called the 6131 practical course. I have a degree in building surveying and I am doing the T&D PGCE course in jordanstown. I got a email from the teaching council that this will be recognised to teach construction studies as long as I complete a 2 hour exam in maynooth. Our Lecturer told us no where in England do this 6131, and anyone that does do the T&D PGCE course in England come over to Jordanstown to complete the 6131.

Are you qualified to teach anything else except Construction Studies like Woodwork, Tech. graphics, DCG or Technology?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 weetom

Just to follow up to this discussion, I know its been 3 years since anyone posted a comment and Mr Crotty has completed his PDE. UL are very fair in what they accept for entry qualification. What the course director tell you will be true. Over the 3 semesters, 2 of them will have covered DCG, maybe not to a very high level but sufficient enough if you put in the effort so that you can go out and teach. The assessment of your qualifications by UL overrides any assessment by the TC, therefore at the end of the Grad Dip the construction group can teach Const Studies, DCG and Technology, with the engineering group teaching engineering, DCG and technology.

The course is/was demanding. Projects and assignments to no end, education modules and presentations to no end.

Usually in const 16 come in and 14 pass, engineering 2 or 3 in with only 1 pass. This Grad Dip course is no more and has been superseded by a 2 year Masters with the entry requirements a lot tougher than the grad dip, Well worth doing if you have the time, money and the desire to sit around everyday waiting on a phone call for subbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 timwalshe

How did you get on after doing the course in Jordanstown? I'm thinking about doing it so would appreciate any bit of advice. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Dalmighty

Hi has anybody experience in the Professional Master in Education (Technological Education) from UL

I am wondering if I could be recognised by the teaching Council to teach construction and dcg

My Education below and have been in construction since graduation.

B.Eng. building services engineering LYIT

B.Sc hons construction project management ITSligo

H.dip Sci. Software development NUIG

If anyone could give me insight into job prospects, the course itself, opinions I would be grateful 🙏

Thanks in advance ☺️

Advertisement