Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for a newly seeded lawn.

Options
  • 30-08-2012 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Hi All - looking for some advice on a newly seeded lawn. (20m x 15m)

A previously okay lawn was left idle and had debris etc on it for 2 yrs. I cleared the debris, sprayed the weeds, strimmed them and left it for a bit. I then pulled the bigger remaining weeds by hand and cleared it as best I could. I turned the area with a fork and shovel etc.

2 weeks ago, I put down lawn seed and a 'feed' for the grass. I covered the whole thing with Potting Compost, and have done nothing to the lawn since then.

Grass shoots have appeared, but so have a fair few weeds.

Firstly, when could I put down 'feed and weed'?

And, should I do anything else to help the grass grow, and inhibit the weeds?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

I re seeded my lawn this year front and back gardens, I put the feed and weed in the front garden. After i was told i should of left it for a year because the grass is still growing and the feed and weed would kill off sum of the grasses, The front garden has loads of weeds and the back has very little,
    i was told not to cut it too short,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

Thanks Ronn - much appreciated!

Advertisement