Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cloud Computing Solutions

• 30-08-2012 12:31pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    I'm on the lookout for some cloud computing services, but they are either overly priced or don't do what we need.

I have a client that has two large businesses. Within this business they stored all their files on a NAS box. Each computer was given access to a certain account on the box, which is where they stored their files. Management can login and view all of these files, including their own. The NAS box is dead, so we are looking at replacing it with Cloud.

I could do this with Dropbox sharing folders - I could setup each machine with an account so their files would be stored there and shared with managements account. But Dropbox is very expensive for large amounts of file storage, so that's out.

Google Drive doesn't seem to reliably offer sync of folders, according to reviews, so that's out.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Sup08

Windows live was offering 25 gig per account on exisiting old accounts and 7 gig for new?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sup08 wrote: »
    Windows live was offering 25 gig per account on exisiting old accounts and 7 gig for new?

Must give it a whirl and see how it is. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Sugarsync? I love it as I can setup a sync/backup of any folder on the computer. I think blacknight.ie are launching new cloud services too but I have not checked them out. Amazon has some decent archive services with cheap pricing. Their cloud offers aren't bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

Blacknight cloud services not cheap, new NAS boxes with mirrored drives are not that expensive, €400 plus, I am putting one of these into a new office in a couple of weeks, the important thing is to start off right!! An auctioneer was putting together house sales brochures consisting of one or two pages but the photos on some of them were up to 10mb plus!!! I showed his staff how to reduce the photos and then same them as PDFs, 10 or 20kbs each, made a massive difference when accessing the files accross three different offices. Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

RepairMyPC wrote: »
    Blacknight cloud services not cheap, new NAS boxes with mirrored drives are not that expensive, €400 plus, I am putting one of these into a new office in a couple of weeks, the important thing is to start off right!! An auctioneer was putting together house sales brochures consisting of one or two pages but the photos on some of them were up to 10mb plus!!! I showed his staff how to reduce the photos and then same them as PDFs, 10 or 20kbs each, made a massive difference when accessing the files accross three different offices. Hope this helps.

Yeah we had a NAS box already with mirrored drive but it died. We were just looking to see if Cloud Computing would be a better solution for them. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Archer Hack

Heard good things about the amazon cloud

http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/

You only pay for what you use.

Also microsofts offering, Azzure, although that mightnt fit as well.

Advertisement