Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30Mbps broadband in every home by 2015

• 30-08-2012 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

From Silicon Republic:
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/28983-more-than-half-of/
    Today at the Croke Park Conference Centre, Communications Minister Pat Rabbitte, TD, launched Ireland’s National Broadband Plan, laying out targets to achieve at least 30Mbps broadband in every home and business in Ireland by 2015...

Sounds great but will it materialize? With the government track record on broadband its hard to be optimistic. I was waiting forever for 3Mbps.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Every home eh...? A min. of 30Mbps you say? Really? In 3 years? To every home in Ireland no matter how rural or remote? in 3 years? Really?

Some still can't get more than 28Kbps dialup after 12 plus years of the 1st DSL exchange going live.

But in 3 years they're going to get 30Mbps minimum?

Ah Pat ... you're in dreamland again (again)...

I'm going to buy a hat. I doubt I'll have to eat it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭bren50c

Wow, tell me they're not basing this on 4g. I missed that part of the article. All hope is lost...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Yeah - I wasn't sure if they were saying it was a 4G rollout for rural areas or that they would use the money from the 4G spectrum sell off to fund the physical infrastructure upgrades. Probably both. 4G for rural up to 30MBps and physical upgrades for towns and villages to bump the speed up further.
    “Ireland’s population is more broadly dispersed than that of many other countries so reaching the target will require State investment to encourage the private sector to offer services which would not otherwise make commercial sense,” explained the Minister.

So if it's 4G then the Gov. will use our taxes to pay the mobile operators to put 4G capabilities on to their masts. The operators aren't going to do it unless bribed. There's limited partial coverage with 3G on the masts locally in my rural area at present anyhow. So why do I sense a limited return on investment for the operators and therefore no likelihood of the Gov. getting any (of our) money back...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

bren50c wrote: »
    Wow, tell me they're not basing this on 4g. I missed that part of the article. All hope is lost...

It will have to be based on LTE. I cant see the networks stumping up the money to wire up the country. It wouldn't be profitable. The minister may not realise it or understand it but yes I'd imagine these speed achievements will be primarily relied upon from LTE services.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Condi wrote: »

Well without scratching at old sores, if we hadn't sold off the telecom eireann infrastructure they could be doing all of that right now.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    It will have to be based on LTE. I cant see the networks stumping up the money to wire up the country. It wouldn't be profitable. The minister may not realise it or understand it but yes I'd imagine these speed achievements will be primarily relied upon from LTE services.

Although I thought the idea was that by nature rural broadband can't be profitable and so the government will be providing funds since the networks are unwilling to invest. Surely they've seen that 3g didn't work so well with nbs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Read the small print :D > http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/1EA7B477-741B-4B74-A08E-6350135C32D2/0/NBP.pdf

"There can be no State intervention in areas covered by the National Broadband Scheme until the expiry of the contract in August 2014. The Government intends that any new initiative will be procured and ready to rollout by that date;"

It means "we will have spent the money on Labour voting urban areas by August 2014 and there will be nothing left for rural areas by then". M'kay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Same old shíte from the Govt.I'm sure the term 'smart economy' was used hundreds of times in this announcement too.

• Advertisement

It means "we will have spent the money on Labour voting urban areas by August 2014 and there will be nothing left for rural areas by then". M'kay!

Are you telling me I shouldn't trust a politician when he gives me a timeline???:D
    I am now waiting for Pat Rabbittes Mars Rover landing draft plan which is due to kick off just before he leaves office

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Not sure about Germany, there may be such an operator and it may be industry owned. It was recommended in Ireland too. See:

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/22339-ireland-needs-to-move-fast
    To achieve these targets would mean creating a shared radio access network (RAN) owned by one company (RANCO) that will install the required masts in locations operators don’t view as viable today, or they could provide existing masts to the RANCO in return for equity.
    IrelandOffline argues it would be much cheaper to supply 100pc of national wireless coverage on one network.

“This network will require 4,000 cells on day 1 and up to 10,000 cells within two years. Operators can compete with their own network in cities and large towns, which is where they want to compete. Geographically, 80pc of Ireland is a burden for any mobile operator and they make their money in the remaining 20pc.

“It is desirable that (the) RANCO is to be given the Universal Service Obligation in areas where ADSL is not available or programmed to be delivered and also in SAC/SPA and National Parks where population is low and where planning constraints are onerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭DoubleBogey

You don't need to live in rural Ireland to get crappy broadband speeds. I would say 95% of the country has sub standard broadband, that is including the areas that apparently get "up to" 24mb. I'm in the fibre optic rollout trial area and guess what, I can't get it.

The government are going to do jack sh!t to fix this. We need more competition in the private sector. UPC are leading the way, but if you can't get UPC you're sh!t out of luck and will be lucky to get above 5mb regardless of what your package says you are getting "up to". And the Magnet/Eircom rollout seems to have fissled out.

Give private companies like Virgin, BT etc tax incentives to come over here and lay down cables. The only thing we need from the government is a regulator to ensure they relay the roads when they're finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Give private companies like Virgin, BT etc tax incentives to come over here and lay down cables. The only thing we need from the government is a regulator to ensure they relay the roads when they're finished.

We don't need BT, we have the ESB, they already have a network delivering power to every single house in the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

The Irish government needs to spent this money wisely and not let telecom companies use this money to invest in urban areas, so to keep down their costs.

This money is to be invested in rural Ireland only and the work if possible should commence immediately.

DSL should be brought to homes that can not get it currently.

And fibre smaller cabinets should be bought and be located in rural villages just outside our major cities and towns. A 25 miles radius should be the starting point to get done first/ so all villages outside majors towns and cities should have fibre by 2015.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    We don't need BT, we have the ESB, they already have a network delivering power to every single house in the country

Maybe ESB doesn't want to be involved with the telecoms industry or vice versa. Who knows how practical this plan is? Has any government talked about this before i haven't heard them talking about this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭dre_jspeed

That's no good to me I already have 60Mbps. :)

Sorry couldn't resist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

pat rabbit says it will be via mobile ..:rolleyes: (Today fm )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

The Irish government needs to spent this money wisely and not let telecom companies use this money to invest in urban areas, so to keep down their costs.

This money is to be invested in rural Ireland only and the work if possible should commence immediately.

DSL should be brought to homes that can not get it currently.

And fibre smaller cabinets should be bought and be located in rural villages just outside our major cities and towns. A 25 miles radius should be the starting point to get done first/ so all villages outside majors towns and cities should have fibre by 2015.

Why should the money be spent in rural Ireland only?I know plenty of people living in the centre of Dublin,our capital city,that can't get broadband and have to rely on mobile dongles.

If people decide that they want to live in one off houses in the middle of the countryside then they should at least have to pay something towards the considerable cost of getting wired broadband delivered to them.

• Advertisement

Maybe ESB doesn't want to be involved with the telecoms industry or vice versa. Who knows how practical this plan is? Has any government talked about this before i haven't heard them talking about this before.

The ESB already have a fibre network, they are already a major player in the Irish broadband market.
    http://www.esbtelecoms.ie/infrastructure/national_fibre_optic_network.htm

Why should the money be spent in rural Ireland only?I know plenty of people living in the centre of Dublin,our capital city,that can't get broadband and have to rely on mobile dongles.

If people decide that they want to live in one off houses in the middle of the countryside then they should at least have to pay something towards the considerable cost of getting wired broadband delivered to them.

Why do you think?

Fibre will never come to rural Ireland without state help and lets be real your likely to see fibre in your area much sooner than i ever will. Its very unlikely you be waiting long for that upgrade if you live in Dublin city.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

John mac wrote: »
    pat rabbit says it will be via mobile ..:rolleyes: (Today fm )

And we are going to get 30mb on mobile network or will it be "up to" 30mb

Is it possible to provide 30mb on mobile networks?

skydish79 wrote: »

Yes, in a lab to a single user

EU gave a more realistic target deadline the year of 2020 to see those kind of broadband changes in Ireland. The Irish government deadline is more optimistic the year 2015

Work on this changes can only commence when they map out and have much clearer picture as to who will need state intervention. NBS areas are excluded until Aug 2014 that's mean these areas are not likely to see any of this changes by 2015

How will they manage to bring 30 meg to all parts of rural Ireland than by 2015? Have they not failed a set target already?

Spectrum is the future because the cost of installing cable and fibre to the home for every rural village in Ireland is too great for this country to afford right now. The Irish Government is just being realistic with their analysis. Higher speeds on Wifi is better than slow speeds using DSL.

350 million is lot of money but if you want a country wide fibre nework it will cost a few billion.

skydish79 wrote: »

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/26285-ireland-takes-one-step-clos

This is what there trying to do, but its all next year and beyond stuff.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    The ESB already have a fibre network, they are already a major player in the Irish broadband market.
    http://www.esbtelecoms.ie/infrastructure/national_fibre_optic_network.htm

There not providing this service to residential homes are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I have a 8mb line with Eircom at the moment. I am really happy with it (no cap, constant speed!) although I would really like to pay less than the €55/month. With 30mbs broadband in every home by 2015 will prices come down for existing services?

Advertisement