Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30Mbps broadband in every home by 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 sean2012

4G services will not be rolled-out in england until 2013/14 following a planned auction of 800MHz and 2.6GHz frequencies
    there is no fu**ing way we will have 4g here in ireland for everyone within 2 years even if they were to replace 2g and 3g with 4g it wouldent solve any of problems with lack of service there simply is no masts in those areas aswel as that 4g is 100mb bandwidth, which is only a 20mb connection max
    once again or communications minister is talking thou his ass

fibre is cheaper than copper, why not take down the copper phone lines, sell the copper, one fibre could hold all the communications of this country if it was looped everwhere, instead of thousands of send and receive twisted pairs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The €175m is what the Rabbitte sez the gubbirnment will spend. We can also draw down some money from the EU 'Digital Agenda' kitty which is €10bn odd.

Frankly the best way to spend most of it on anational Scale is on 'middle mile' fibre. IE fibre from large towns to small towns, mast sites and the more densely populated rural and urban areas ( both).

As for the final mile...let the locals dig in their own FTTH. Most of the cost would be civils not 'telco' gear. As Condi said focus evey community employment scheme on it for a year or two.

eircom should bring fibre to all the fixed line exchanges to replace all the copper and from there outwards, maybe they could issue anyone with a fixed line a meteor wireless phone, in the meantime, eircom dont want to hang fibre on there polls they could direct bury, duct it, or box it cheaper no danger easyer to access and fix on the surface, if civals where to connect there on ftth from the exchanges then they shouldent have to pay line rental, upc charge 100e a month for 100mb bandwidth thats 1200 a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Condi wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

350 million if spent right will no doubt will improve broadband infrastructure within this country. But the plan is still depend on the say of Telecom providers who will be providing half of the 350 million. They in turn will only invest in areas were they will expect to get some percentage of return back for their investment. What areas they'll pick to upgrade only time will tell on that.

Interest in broadband isn't a universal thing in Ireland. Many people of an older age have know interest in broadband and many have not used the internet to do anything. Asking them to contribute money to something they have never used might not be so easy.

The media for example today the longest interview i heard about this was 4 minutes. RTE TV 1 or 2 minutes and wasn't that informative. There is know sense of urgency about this, its vital, that it most be implemented immediately. There is a strong possibility this project will not get off the ground till 2014

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The government should be treating this the same way as the rural electrification scheme in the early days of the state.

Lay down the fibre. Absolutely do not let ENet run it otherwise it'll cost you 15k to get connected or you can save 10k of that if the previous building Tennant had the fibre connected and you can see it in your comms room, but you just need to plug it in...

Seriously, before the government spends this money, they should be asking why the MAN has so much fibre running laid out in provincial towns, running past your or my house and we cannot get connected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

Poor Backhaul seems to be the be major issue for wireless (FWA that is) providers in the country, surely part of the €175m from the govt should be used to improve this so that rural residents will be able to avail of 30mb+ sooner rather than later.

I've mentioned these guys before but to me they seem to be the poster boys for what can be done with FWA. Ok the contention is higher than most other providers but when you look at the Speed (Down/Upload) per Contention Ratio it is still very good and at a super price.

http://www.nwewn.com/prices.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I can see this Croke Park agreement being as successful as the last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,807 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not a hope of every house having min 30meg by 2015.

I'd say as a country we will be lucky to have this standard by 2025, unless there is some amazing technology breakthrough.

If it is in my 2015 then it will have to come via satellite or something, cos not a hope in hell of my 2meg line being 30meg in 3 years.

Didn't the last scheme like this (NBS?) flop miserably? This will be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

NIMAN wrote: »

Didn't the last scheme like this (NBS?) flop miserably? This will be the same.

No...according to the DECNR this scheme is wonderful and a great success. Everybody now gets a minimum speed as set out in the guarantees, so much so that they have declared that everybody has "basic broadband" now and that we are ahead of the Digital Agenda for Europe targets.

Now where did I leave my augmented reality pills?

This scheme will be more of the same...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I have a 8mb line with Eircom at the moment. I am really happy with it (no cap, constant speed!) although I would really like to pay less than the €55/month. With 30mbs broadband in every home by 2015 will prices come down for existing services?
    You have a fair usage policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ThePhantomYoda

This is probably a load of BS... There is still too many places in Ireland that are STILL relying on mobile broadband and I'm sure dial-up too, they would need to sort that out before making "plans" to give 30mb internet to everyone here.

We're not as advanced as you'd think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

We're not as advanced as you'd think.

I don't think anyone else thinks we are advanced at all apart from the Dept of Communications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Sponge Bob wrote: »

On a high level the big battle will be to get Dark Fibre and Low Latency to the provinces...ie to allow a technology company to locate its servers and high value product outside Dublin.

Locating this technology outside Dublin is extremely difficult to justify nowadays except for latency insensitive basic ecommerce and mail servers or overnight cloudy backup/synch stuff.

Why would country people need any sort of low latency bandwidth? There's nothing out there...just a few cows

/me puts away DECNR hat now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Originally Posted by iMuse View Post
    I don't think anyone else thinks we are advanced at all apart from the Dept of Communications.
    The Dept of Communications simply lies about how things are. If they told the truth the country would collapse. When the Dáil comes back they will produce the normal pack of lies answers for Pat Rabbitte starting in a fortnight...just watch. :(

You will find that the Department of Enterprise (IDA) knows a lot more about high end networks than the whole of comms do and I hoped comms would come under Enterprise as a 'desk' to deliver advanced communications strategies instead of the pathetic excuse machine it became under Dempsey and especially Ryan and with nobody higher transferred than an Assistant Principal from the old comms department....the higher ups are toxic people with toxic attitudes.

Put enterprise people in the Principal Officer and Assistant Secretary roles. The Department wants managed services outside of Dublin and that's all. Shortsighted second grade rubbish suited to Armenia ...that other 'Internet Capital or Europe' . :(

On a high level the big battle will be to get Dark Fibre and Low Latency to the provinces...ie to allow a technology company to locate its servers and high value product outside Dublin.

Locating this technology outside Dublin is extremely difficult to justify nowadays except for latency insensitive basic ecommerce and mail servers or overnight cloudy backup/synch stuff.

Anything sensitive to latency or synch delays must go to Dublin...or Amsterdam/London where facilities are cheaper. The Department of Communications, naturally, thinks that this is not a problem.

if the wireless network was all 4g in this country,it still wouldn't be nearly good enough for what we are paying for it, it was meant to be used for phone communications and light internet use, as it is we are paying for lower speeds than were getting, most of the the networks have huge traffic at peck times, the 4g masts will be broadcasting at higher frequencies and longer distances so there will be more traffic on there network
    whats the point investing in 4g now when 5g will be here next year and there will still be a delay in broadcast time for example streaming a game on wireless there would be a delay, compared to fibre which there wouldn't be any delay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

sean2012 wrote: »
    if the wireless network was all 4g in this country,it still wouldn't be nearly good enough for what we are paying for it, it was meant to be used for phone communications and light internet use, as it is we are paying for lower speeds than were getting, most of the the networks have huge traffic at peck times, the 4g masts will be broadcasting at higher frequencies and longer distances so there will be more traffic on there network
    whats the point investing in 4g now when 5g will be here next year and there will still be a delay in broadcast time for example streaming a game on wireless there would be a delay, compared to fibre which there wouldn't be any delay

It'll be 2020 before 5g is deployed meaningfully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Well they never got back to me telling me how much to use. I play games, download and browse but nothing massive. I think the price in Ireland for broadband is probably higher than any other E.U country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

aindriu80 wrote: »

Well they never got back to me telling me how much to use. I play games, download and browse but nothing massive. I think the price in Ireland for broadband is probably higher than any other E.U country.
    Tis in the Ts and Cs Ted .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Tis in the Ts and Cs Ted .

Thats true but I wasn't bothered by it. I just hope for cheaper broadband in the future

• Advertisement

The deadline is 2015 and most people living in rural Ireland will not see an upgrade till after that. Read the plan. Its now 2012( 2015) is three years away Ireland requires this now not in the future. And the only hint of when this might begin is when the process of mapping out locations were Government will have to intervene is finalised. With the current state of our economy and the lack of interest shown by Eircom in the past to upgrade rural Ireland, i would not be surprised if little change has occurred by 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lockup35

How feasible would it be for other companies to roll out this type of broadband to other rural areas in Ireland?

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/29085-potential-economic-boost-as/

lockup35 wrote: »
    How feasible would it be for other companies to roll out this type of broadband to other rural areas in Ireland?

Most of the Broadband providers in Ireland, have stated they are ready to go, and will upgrade from 3G to 4G and to LTE services as soon as the spectrum auctions were closed. The auctions however haven't even begun and they were meant to begin in March now gone.

We blame broadband providers for our troubles lot of the time.

But it is was actually the Irish government, Comreg, and other interested parties who keep stalling on holding this auctions and putting them off.

lockup35 wrote: »

Like to see a speed test to see how good it actually is? That mast is on very high mountain i know were that is, most rural areas would be flat ground.

its a 100mb bandwidth,20mb lte connection, the backbone of the network is using fibre, why even bother telling use that, but the mast itself is not connected directly,
    "The company plans to offer domestic broadband packages in the area from €29.99 per month"
    plus the cost of installation and the receiving equipment plus usage allowance data limits
    all of the masts and exchanges should be connected with fibre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Most of the Broadband providers in Ireland, have stated they are ready to go, and will upgrade from 3G to 4G and to LTE services as soon as the spectrum auctions were closed. The auctions however haven't even begun and they were meant to begin in March now gone.

We blame broadband providers for our troubles lot of the time.

But it is was actually the Irish government, Comreg, and other interested parties who keep stalling on holding this auctions and putting them off.

Broadband providers, LOL, lots of us here would argue that 3G isn't broadband, hence it has its own Midband forum on here. 4G will be more of the same. You cannot deliver real broadband through a mobile system. The very fact that it's mobile means there is no way of controlling contention, unless you stop users connecting, not very mobile if they do this.

What's mentioned in the article is fixed wireless, this can deliver a proper broadband service, where there is control, everyone get a fixed install and guaranteed the best possible signal with line of sight. This has got nothing to do with 4G.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Broadband providers, LOL, lots of us here would argue that 3G isn't broadband, hence it has its own Midband forum on here. 4G will be more of the same. You cannot deliver real broadband through a mobile system. The very fact that it's mobile means there is no way of controlling contention, unless you stop users connecting, not very mobile if they do this.

What's mentioned in the article is fixed wireless, this can deliver a proper broadband service, where there is control, everyone get a fixed install and guaranteed the best possible signal with line of sight. This has got nothing to do with 4G.

3G the speeds on that device were always going to be slow because of the technology broadband companies were using with that. Using 4G Spectrum. The speeds would be lot better perhaps 4 to 8 times better depending on a number of factors of course..

Its not ideal 4G will be rolled out, but realistically this what the majority of rural Ireland will get. The cost to install Fibre countywide is not something the government is willing to pay for and the same goes for broadband providers. Some rural areas of Ireland might get fibre if there village is relatively close to a major city or town?

Speaking for myself if they increase data usage and increases speeds. I will be happy. To have 20 down and even 1 or 2 meg upload would be a dream for me. Higher speed even better.

Currently my broadband package is with Eircom.

Pay for 7meg ( only get 5 but close to 6) and my upload is (312kb) awful broadband especially when less than ten miles away from my house there is people availing of speeds of 100meg plus. That annoys the hell out of me.

sean2012 wrote: »
    its a 100mb bandwidth,20mb lte connection, the backbone of the network is using fibre, why even bother telling use that, but the mast itself is not connected directly,
    "The company plans to offer domestic broadband packages in the area from €29.99 per month"
    plus the cost of installation and the receiving equipment plus usage allowance data limits
    all of the masts and exchanges should be connected with fibre

I have know idea how there doing this and, will they be able to provide does kind of speeds? But the location is a place were a very high mountain exists it not that far from Shannon Airport. Maybe its geographically ideal for the type of technology they attend to us. But can they deliver those promises that is the question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

3G the speeds on that device were always going to be slow because of the technology broadband companies were using with that. Using 4G Spectrum. The speeds would be lot better perhaps 4 to 8 times better depending on a number of factors of course..

Its not ideal 4G will be rolled out, but realistically this what the majority of rural Ireland will get. The cost to install Fibre countywide is not something the government is willing to pay for and the same goes for broadband providers. Some rural areas of Ireland might get fibre if there village is relatively close to a major city or town?

Speaking for myself if they increase data usage and increases speeds. I will be happy. To have 20 down and even 1 or 2 meg upload would be a dream for me. Higher speed even better.

Currently my broadband package is with Eircom.

Pay for 7meg ( only get 5 but close to 6) and my upload is (312kb) awful broadband especially when less than ten miles away from my house there is people availing of speeds of 100meg plus. That annoys the hell out of me.

Watty explained it here, LTE needs 20MHZ channels to deliver 4x the speed of 3G, Comreg are auctioning it off in 5MHZ channels. There will be no increase in speed, to increase speed you need more spectrum and more backhaul.

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Watty explained it here, LTE needs 20MHZ channels to deliver 4x the speed of 3G, Comreg are auctioning it off in 5MHZ channels. There will be no increase in speed, to increase speed you need more spectrum and more backhaul.

I haven't looked into what the capabilities are all that much. But that doesn't add up what your saying. If there is going to be this kind of investment 350 million euros worth. There not going to do this unless there was a noticeable speed difference to 3G. Customers would notice this don't you think? And the whole purpose of this is to increase broadband speeds across the country.

Advertisement