Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

java courses or grinds

Options
  • 30-08-2012 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Im a third level student studying computer science and have failed my second year due to my difficulties with java. I was wondering if anyone knows of anyone giving grinds or java courses in the kildare area thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bellylint

Heya, If you are stuck, I am working with programming for a good while (10years), although it has been a good while since I worked with Java (I used to be certified ). I work with languages that are syntactically similar. If you send me a couple of areas that you struggling with I will at least be able to let you know if I can help.

If there are specific areas of the course that you felt you didnt get a good handle on that might be a place to start.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 23 emmas

bellylint wrote: »
    Heya, If you are stuck, I am working with programming for a good while (10years), although it has been a good while since I worked with Java (I used to be certified ). I work with languages that are syntactically similar. If you send me a couple of areas that you struggling with I will at least be able to let you know if I can help.

If there are specific areas of the course that you felt you didnt get a good handle on that might be a place to start.

cheers

Hi bellylint
    Thanks for the reply
    I'm struggling with the likes of searching and sorting (I get the concept but cant put it into code) also exception and file handling and action and event listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bellylint

emmas wrote: »
    Hi bellylint
    Thanks for the reply
    I'm struggling with the likes of searching and sorting (I get the concept but cant put it into code) also exception and file handling and action and event listeners.

Np been there myself in my day :)

I'll drop you a PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ermahgerd

Professional java courses are expensive as they're generally aimed at companies. You're talking €1500 for a one week course, so I presume that's out the window.

I develop in Java myself and can't recommend the book "Core Java" enough. It has extensive information on the topics you mentioned with the exception of the algorithms & data structures.

ermahgerd wrote: »
    Professional java courses are expensive as they're generally aimed at companies. You're talking €1500 for a one week course, so I presume that's out the window.

I develop in Java myself and can't recommend the book "Core Java" enough. It has extensive information on the topics you mentioned with the exception of the algorithms & data structures.

Thank you ill take a look at that book :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ermahgerd

Which college are you in?

Drop me a message if you want to discuss any of the topics you're having problems with anyway.

ermahgerd wrote: »
    Which college are you in?

Drop me a message if you want to discuss any of the topics you're having problems with anyway.

Im studying in Waterford it. I will indeed thanks very much for your help :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

When I first started development in Java, I found a lot of online resources a little daunting. Try picking yourself up a book in Java that will help with understanding some of the concepts.

Others have offered help in understanding the language, but don't be afraid to drop me a PM either with a few questions. I won't do your work for you, but I'll help with some difficulties you may be experiencing.

Advertisement