Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon S100 digital camera from Amazon Germany - €386 delivered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

http://www.parkcameras.com/21510/Canon-PowerShot-S100---Silver.html?referrer=CamPriceBust

a few euros cheaper here too.
    Worst time of the year to buy cameras though...All the new ones come out in the next month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

http://www.parkcameras.com/21510/Canon-PowerShot-S100---Silver.html?referrer=CamPriceBust

a few euros cheaper here too.
    Worst time of the year to buy cameras though...All the new ones come out in the next month or two.

That one might be better - as it would have a uk charger while the one from germany would probably have a european one. Are park cameras reputable?

ripcord wrote: »
    That one might be better - as it would have a uk charger while the one from germany would probably have a european one. Are park cameras reputable?

Well they are listed here
    http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/index.html
    so seem legit...I've never used them but as I said I wouldn't be buying a camera for another month or two. it'll probably drop another 100 in price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭RayCarley

In case you're looking for an opinion on the camera itself. I bought one in the US back in May. Such a good camera, would recommend it to anyone who has the cash for it. Has all the features of a SLR in a compact package.

I also just bought one of these if you're looking for a memory card:
    http://www.mymemory.co.uk/SDHC/SanDisk/SanDisk-16GB-Extreme-SD-Card-%28SDHC%29-45MB_s---Class-10

I found some 5% off code online and with that it was €15 with shipping, so not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Anyone know where to buy a decent spare battery? I see Irish store Conns quotes €49 :eek:

• Advertisement

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Anyone know where to buy a decent spare battery? I see Irish store Conns quotes €49 :eek:

Got one of them as well when I bought the camera... was like $14 for a perfect spare on Amazon.com. I made sure I bought it while I was in the US though, couldn't find any that compared in price on this side of the water.

This was it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NK5Z8Y/

I don't know what shipping is like from Amazon US to here though.

RayCarley wrote: »
    Got one of them as well when I bought the camera... was like $14 for a perfect spare on Amazon.com. I made sure I bought it while I was in the US though, couldn't find any that compared in price on this side of the water.

This was it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NK5Z8Y/

I don't know what shipping is like from Amazon US to here though.

Ah crap I was in New York last week but I was relying on donations from my OH asi had lost my wallet :(

In case you're looking for an opinion on the camera itself. I bought one in the US back in May. Such a good camera, would recommend it to anyone who has the cash for it. Has all the features of a SLR in a compact package.

I also just bought one of these if you're looking for a memory card:
    http://www.mymemory.co.uk/SDHC/SanDisk/SanDisk-16GB-Extreme-SD-Card-%28SDHC%29-45MB_s---Class-10

I found some 5% off code online and with that it was €15 with shipping, so not too bad.

Thanks for the advice. I've been reading reviews for ages. Still not sure whether to get this or a panasonic or sony. The only thing stopping me is the poor battery life and the apparent slow shot-to-shot times. How did you find it?

Where would be the best place to get a spare charger? Similar to the one that comes with it (i think it plugs directly into the wall which would be handy)

Thanks for the advice. I've been reading reviews for ages. Still not sure whether to get this or a panasonic or sony. The only thing stopping me is the poor battery life and the apparent slow shot-to-shot times. How did you find it?

I don't find the battery poor or dont find any slowness.

Only slight issue i have is if i get someone else to take a pic they keep preventing the flash from popping up with their finger its like a design issue cause the flash is positioned badly as the camera is so small.

The quality of images blows people away i took mine to a weddign recently and people were amazed with the quality. People were even asking where can they buy one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I have an S90, the predecessor to this camera and I can't recommend it enough. It takes great pictures and the issues mentioned have never really bothered me, although I did buy a cheapo second battery when I bought the camera itself. You'd still get a decent day's shooting out of a fully-charged battery.

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I don't find the battery poor or dont find any slowness.

Only slight issue i have is if i get someone else to take a pic they keep preventing the flash from popping up with their finger its like a design issue cause the flash is positioned badly as the camera is so small.

The quality of images blows people away i took mine to a weddign recently and people were amazed with the quality. People were even asking where can they buy one.

Yeah I agree, no problems with battery life, I only used the spare battery when I was on holiday and didn't have time to charge the battery. And it's much faster than the old point and shoot I had, if you do have issues with its speed it has some pretty cool burst/continuous photo taking settings.

But yeah I agree completely about the flash issue, people always hold the camera where it pops up. It's awkward enough asking a stranger to take a photo, then you have to teach them how to hold the camera.

The photo quality as you said is amazing.

One other thing to be aware of, the screen at the back is quite exposed and someone I know who has the S90 broke theirs just by hitting the camera against a wall or something, even though it was in a case. She was able to get a replacement for like $100 and fix it herself, but still, I've been careful with mine, just in case.

Yeah I agree, no problems with battery life, I only used the spare battery when I was on holiday and didn't have time to charge the battery. And it's much faster than the old point and shoot I had, if you do have issues with its speed it has some pretty cool burst/continuous photo taking settings.

But yeah I agree completely about the flash issue, people always hold the camera where it pops up. It's awkward enough asking a stranger to take a photo, then you have to teach them how to hold the camera.

The photo quality as you said is amazing.

One other thing to be aware of, the screen at the back is quite exposed and someone I know who has the S90 broke theirs just by hitting the camera against a wall or something, even though it was in a case. She was able to get a replacement for like $100 and fix it herself, but still, I've been careful with mine, just in case.

Could you manually pop-up the flash before you give it to someone to take a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Personally I would not shell out that kind of money for a camera with such a small sensor.

Piliger wrote: »
    Personally I would not shell out that kind of money for a camera with such a small sensor.

Basically I'm trying to get a compact camera for travelling, but I want the best image quality possible. From what I've read I though this camera has a larger sensor than most of its rivals. Maybe I was wrong there though... :confused:

new sony (dsc-rx100)out - better than s100 in same size factor.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100/15

more expensive tho - but have a look online for price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Cybershot-DSC-RX100-Digital-Optical/dp/B008CNMZDW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346430477&sr=8-1

gushing review from amazon buyers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Basically I'm trying to get a compact camera for travelling, but I want the best image quality possible. From what I've read I though this camera has a larger sensor than most of its rivals. Maybe I was wrong there though... :confused:

Then you may well have a good choice. The sensor here is 1/1.7" which is pretty small and to the best of my knowledge not better than rivals. It only makes a difference if you are trying to take photos in low light or indoors without a flash. But it does make a huge difference in those conditions.

Have a read of these links:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/23/technology/personaltech/23pogue.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1&ref=technology

http://static.onemansblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Camera-Sensor-Size-Comparison.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

What about EVIL cameras. Price of Sony NEX 5N should be dropping fairly significantly given it's successors announcement. You'll still be talking 500ish, but it's in a different league to any of the other cameras mentioned here.

Apparently alot of sony/panasonics now need to be charged by plugging in the camera (as opposed to the external charger of the canons)

After a LONG time thinking, I've decided that the great image quality isn;t worth the large expense. I've decided to go with the Canon Powershot SX240 HS.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Powershot-SX240-Digital-Camera/dp/B0074K1JUE/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1346671871&sr=1-1

It has alot of things in common with the s100. Image quality is meant to better than rivals, just not as good as s100. Battery life is meant to be better. I probably won't use the 20x zoom much, and I'm generally just a point-and-shoot kinda person anyway. And its a lot cheaper! So I won't feel worried carrying it around with me!

Anyone have the SX240? Its the same as the SX260 except without the GPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mtdelany

I bought the Sony DSC-HX7V for EUR 185 in Argos today. Very good price for a similar camera

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

mtdelany wrote: »
    I bought the Sony DSC-HX7V for EUR 185 in Argos today. Very good price for a similar camera

Cant see this camera on Argos.ie is it in store only?

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mtdelany

Jessops is always good too for the Clearance models.
    Just be sure to read up on what's missing or damaged,

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/Current%20Offers/Clearance/Show.html?cm_re=Home-_-Panelfive-clearance-_-230812

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Chora

Go for what you want! If you don't want the zoom, get the s100, they're supposed to be great. I found it here for 329 http://www.ebay.de/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320969253076&clk_rvr_id=383066947139

Last minute change!!

Decided to throw caution (and financial sensibility) to the wind! Bought the s100 from amazon uk for 415 (silver one). 30 quid more than german one but I thought it might be less hassle.

Anyway, its done now! Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully it will take some good pics!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Could you manually pop-up the flash before you give it to someone to take a picture?

Yes, you can. If you switch the flash on, it pops up, even though the camera might decide it doesn't need it for a particular shot (on Auto Flash).

Good choice on the camera, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I've had the s100 for about six months now. Use it as a compact alternative to my DSLR and also use it for underwater photography. It's an excellent camera!
    Piliger wrote: »
    Then you may well have a good choice. The sensor here is 1/1.7" which is pretty small and to the best of my knowledge not better than rivals. It only makes a difference if you are trying to take photos in low light or indoors without a flash. But it does make a huge difference in those conditions.

The sensor is on the small size but it does great keeping noise low on high iso. Also the S100 has a f2 lens which makes a HUGE difference in low light. Most compacts only go to f2.8. Big difference? Yes, f2 lets in TWICE as much light as a f2.8!
    blastman wrote: »
    I have an S90, the predecessor to this camera and I can't recommend it enough. It takes great pictures and the issues mentioned have never really bothered me, although I did buy a cheapo second battery when I bought the camera itself. You'd still get a decent day's shooting out of a fully-charged battery.

S90, the predecessor of the S100's predecessor (S95!). ;) Although the only major differences have been the improved video quality.

I got a few of these spare batteries, only €4.27 each incl delivery. The battery is poor when you first use it but actually improves over a few uses. Stuff like HD video recording is heavy on it.

Just received a canon s100 that I ordered from Amazon. However, it seems to be a canadian import (it says canada on the bottom of the camera). Yet it has the uk plug???

More importantly - the warranty leaflet only suggests registering it with the canadian or US websites? Am I screwed? Does this mean I cannot register with canon UK and effectivley have no warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Just received a canon s100 that I ordered from Amazon. However, it seems to be a canadian import (it says canada on the bottom of the camera). Yet it has the uk plug???

More importantly - the warranty leaflet only suggests registering it with the canadian or US websites? Am I screwed? Does this mean I cannot register with canon UK and effectivley have no warranty?
    Did you buy from someone called, I think, kerso in Scotland?

I think his Amazon site is almost exclusively Canon products but he will supply some other brands on request.

If so, he's a reputable dealer. I bought an Olympus dslr from him a few years ago. It was a Canadian import but he supplied a British Standard power plug.

I was able to register the warranty with Olympus Europe and avail of a free battery offer they were running at the time.

• Advertisement

I talked to a guy on the amazon online chat. The camera was sold by a third party, but because it was "Fullfilled" by Amazon (i.e. shipped from their warehouse), that the warranty would be covered by Amazon. So if anything goes wrong in the year, I just need to send it back to them.

Phew!

Advertisement