Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sold my car...bike replacement?

• 30-08-2012 1:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

I sold my car. No real reason except I don't really need it anymore. Buyer got a great deal.

If you wanted a bike to replace your car, as much as possible, what would you require and what would you go for?

For me it's, in this order: removable luggage (capacity and ease), engine comfortable carrying luggage, ability to charge/power devices, comfort, looks.

I'm thinking Tiger 800, or F800GS.

Currently still on a Ninja 250, so not the most ideal bike ever.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

A dullville might suit ya either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I got rid of my car a couple of months back. I'm on a 650gs and have the panniers and top-box.

Luggage space and fuel efficiency are the most important things to me in this respect and the gs ticks those boxes very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I got rid of my car a couple of months back. I'm on a 650gs and have the panniers and top-box.

Luggage space and fuel efficiency are the most important things to me in this respect and the gs ticks those boxes very well.

The GS also happens to be a mighty purty bike to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Bingo481

For the WOW factor with that is versatile get a Triumph Sprint 1050 GT savage bike...or the ST and buy luggage seperate. Another very versatile bike is the Vstrom 650 or 1000cc with the luggage on, but not the best looking bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

rat_race wrote: »
    If you wanted a bike to replace your car, as much as possible, what would you require and what would you go for?

Something low maintenance - shaft drive, long service intervals, luggage.
    Something comfortable, and with decent weather protection for the winter months.
    I would consider a Pan.

Oh, and I would sign up to tesco.ie for home deliveries of my groceries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

For me - something solid with a windshield, big bags. Comfort over speed if you want it "car like".

Old BMW would be my choice. Reliable and comfortable.
    Gold wing if you can afford it. It's almost a car, with airbag.

Then you have to research mpg, insurance cost etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Bingo481 wrote: »
    For the WOW factor with that is versatile get a Triumph Sprint 1050 GT savage bike...or the ST and buy luggage seperate. Another very versatile bike is the Vstrom 650 or 1000cc with the luggage on, but not the best looking bike.

The Triumph is a lovely bike. Second that suggestion.
    P.C. wrote: »
    Something low maintenance - shaft drive, long service intervals, luggage.
    Something comfortable, and with decent weather protection for the winter months.
    I would consider a Pan.

Oh, and I would sign up to tesco.ie for home deliveries of my groceries.

Second this also. I'd be lost without online shopping and we'd most likely end up needing a little car if I couldn't do the shopping online, so handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Thanks for all the responses.

I must have bad taste because I like the look of vstroms! :D

Anyway...I should have mentioned that I've only had my full license since May, so...1000CC is a bit of a stretch. 800 maybe. Also, I'm short for a blike, another reason why the Tiger 800 was looking good (lower than Tiger XC and BMWs)...

Hmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's a personal decison, lots of bikes will do the job. I've a bmw gs (no car) and it's a great all rounder.
    I don't do much miles, and if I was buying now I'd go for an Italian v-twin. I'd go for something line an M900 (ducati monster, reliable but cheap version).

Know a few guys that put close to 100k km on them, no probs, and still a great spin on a sunday.

A dulsville will do the job better though, but I reckon buying a bike you should listen to your balls, not your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 YCHGTBOY

rat_race wrote: »
    I sold my car. No real reason except I don't really need it anymore. Buyer got a great deal.

For me it's, in this order: removable luggage (capacity and ease), engine comfortable carrying luggage, ability to charge/power devices, comfort, looks.

I'm thinking Tiger 800, or F800GS.

Currently still on a Ninja 250, so not the most ideal bike ever.

I think this you and this guy need to swop lives....:D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056738170

• Advertisement
Advertisement