Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Salary cap in football

• 30-08-2012 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭

Why doesn't Fifa or Uefa order a salary cap in football, say 80-100k would be the most a player could earn per week. I think it has got to the stage were the amount of money players are earning is slowly but surely killing the game, and also killing some clubs off along the way.

Its ridiculous the wages the likes of PSG, Man City, Chelsea etc. are offering players to come to there clubs, and what happens to these clubs if there owners decide that they no longer want to invest and decide to sell said clubs and leave them with crippling debts :confused::confused:

The pro's far outweigh the con's to introduce a salary cap in the game, I for one would like to see it happen.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Why doesn't Fifa or Uefa order a salary cap in football, say 80-100k would be the most a player could earn per week. I think it has got to the stage were the amount of money players are earning is slowly but surely killing the game, and also killing some clubs off along the way.

Its ridiculous the wages the likes of PSG, Man City, Chelsea etc. are offering players to come to there clubs, and what happens to these clubs if there owners decide that they no longer want to invest and decide to sell said clubs and leave them with crippling debts :confused::confused:

The pro's far outweigh the con's to introduce a salary cap in the game, I for one would like to see it happen.

They can't, it's illegal under EU law to restrict potential earnings for employees.

That's why they are imposing a system where clubs can only spend a certain % of their income on wages, which is far easier to impliment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Seaneh wrote: »
    They can't, it's illegal under EU law to restrict potential earnings for employees.

That's why they are imposing a system where clubs can only spend a certain % of their income on wages, which is far easier to impliment.

Thread over after one post.

Pheeew. :)

Although to address the OP's point its an idea thats always spouted about but on the other side you have Sky paying Billions for T.V. rights and limiting the wages of players will put the excess money into chairmans pockets or do you also propose that T.V. deals are slashed which would result in less games on the T.V.

Although something has to change football as a business can't sustain itself forever if players are on £250K a week and we'll see more clubs in trouble and not just the top teams but it will filter all the way through the leagues.

What needs to happen is every league in europe needs to have the same sort of TV deal as the PL where every club gets an equal cut of TV money,

In Spain Barca and Real get something like 80% of all TV money between them with the other clubs fighting over the other 20%, it's a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

There will come a time where players are on millions a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

What needs to happen is every league in europe needs to have the same sort of TV deal as the PL where every club gets an equal cut of TV money,

In Spain Barca and Real get something like 80% of all TV money between them with the other clubs fighting over the other 20%, it's a disgrace.

Oh ya thats another thing, they get something like €100 million a year each while the rest of the league share something like €100 million between the 18 teams, its very silly and unfair and basically gives both teams an even greater advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I dont see how it is a disgrace. I cant see many people tuning into La Liga without Real Madrid or Barcelona. They earn that 80%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

colly_06 wrote: »
    There will come a time where players are on millions a week.

There will come a time where everyone will earn millions a week. Inflation and central banks endlessly printing money. Money is devalued, we all have valueless money!
    hurray... we're rich!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ah this one hasn't crept up for a while. Commies eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Seville fans had a protest because their match was delayed so the press conference of jose and pep could be shown on tv! Their match finished at some time after midnight because of it.

I dont see how it is a disgrace. I cant see many people tuning into La Liga without Real Madrid or Barcelona. They earn that 80%.
    It's closer to 50%, but do you think the scottish league is a good business model to aim for with 2 big teams winning everything? I don't.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Seville fans had a protest because their match was delayed so the press conference of jose and pep could be shown on tv! Their match finished at some time after midnight because of it.

It's closer to 50%, but do you think the scottish league is a good business model to aim for with 2 big teams winning everything? I don't.

The league consists of 20 teams, without those teams there would be no league.

giving the majority of money to two teams is a joke, leads to a totally unbalanced system and it is one of the main reasons La Liga is a bigger joke of a league than the SPL was as far as competitiveness goes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I can't add anything other to the original question other than to agree with replies one and two.

players are the product after all, they deserve to earn a fair share of the income.

I would like to see more restrictions on the clubs by the leagues, things like controlling/capping ticket prices and how often kits can be released. It wouldn't have a major impact on players wages but at least the fans would get more value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The league consists of 20 teams, without those teams there would be no league.

giving the majority of money to two teams is a joke, leads to a totally unbalanced system and it is one of the main reasons La Liga is a bigger joke of a league than the SPL was as far as competitiveness goes.

Sid Lowe was talking about the power of Barca and Madrid in Spain, all the other teams are afraid speaking out about it. If they do, the big 2 will basically ignore them in the transfer market. They won't buy their players, sell them players or loan them players. Bit like fergie and man-u I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

This season we see matches starting at 2200 in Spain.
    That will be 2300 for them and that is only to please the tv channels so they can broadcast matches at 17/19/21/23hrs.

In Holland clubs dont even get a licence from the Dutch FA if they dont balance the books. How on earth are Dutch teams ever going to be able to compete again with the clubs that are either sugar daddi'ed by sheiks or clubs that just go deeper and deeper into debt because no one will ever dare to go for bankruptcy on those clubs (Barca and Real)

I used to love european cup football when Feyenoord but tonight they play EL and of they go out, i just shrug. I dont ****ing care anymore because there isnt a chance in hell the can repeat 2002 with the way clubs/leagues cheat nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

They should do a League of Ireland type cap, were a club can only spend 65% of it's income on wages of staff at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Cienciano wrote: »

Ahh, it's actually 1 big team winning everything now, I'll have you know :)
    DM-ICE wrote: »
    I can't add anything other to the original question other than to agree with replies one and two.

players are the product after all, they deserve to earn a fair share of the income.

I would like to see more restrictions on the clubs by the leagues, things like controlling/capping ticket prices and how often kits can be released. It wouldn't have a major impact on players wages but at least the fans would get more value.

So what about the kid who works in the local sports shop, or the kid in Pakistan making the shirt ?
    Restricting the amount of kits issued hurts them because it reduces demand, it puts their livelihoods at risk.

Let the free market take it's course, it's a bubble that will burst in it's own good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Salary caps are bollocks IMO. Say for example the PL figure was limited to 60,000 per week- a figure that even the poorest club in the league could afford for at least one player. There would always be a few players who would fall to the wayside, who would be of the attitude of why treat my body like a temple and make so many sacrifices to be the player that United/ Chelsea expect of me, when I can go on the lash every night, have a mid level of physical fitness but still get paid the same high wage to play for relegation battlers.

Aside from that it increases the temptation to fix matches. Terrible idea IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

There would always be a few players who would fall to the wayside, who would be of the attitude of why treat my body like a temple and make so many sacrifices to be the player that United/ Chelsea expect of me, when I can go on the lash every night, have a mid level of physical fitness but still get paid the same high wage to play for relegation battlers.

So only the players driven by ambition and not solely the money would make it to the top?

Why is that a bad thing? I don't necessarily agree with a salary cap, as you can be guaranteed any savings won't be passed on to the fans, however I wouldn't be too concerned about the poor bastards loosing the motivation to make it to the top because they can only earn 60k/wk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Gringo180 wrote: »

Thought as much myself, but how do they get away with the transfer window with EU law?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Thought as much myself, but how do they get away with the transfer window with EU law?

It was agreed with the EU, and created with their approval and advice. The EU have always been decent about allowing certain exceptions to EU law to be made for the good of a sport. Salary Cap at UEFA/FIFA level would probably be a big step too far for them to accept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

In the op its mentioned that if the oil chief sold the club hed leave it with massive debts.
    Who would buy such a club ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Well that's the gamble that Chelsea have taken. Certainly beats going out of business altogether though, which they were on the verge of when Abramovich took over, so they didn't really have a choice.

City are almost above risk in that regard, their owners are simply so rich that their total spend after 10 yrs will be the equivalent of me spending a tenner on a Chinese take-away on a Saturday night.

True financial fair play is the only way to guarantee fairness across the board. If your club can't generate it's own money to support itself, it will not be allowed to compete in the top competitions. Some way off yet, but will be here (properly) by 2020.

I say properly in that it's supposed to start from 2014, but deals like City's Etihad sponsorship deal should be looked at, but won't, and those deals will be directly effecting football results right up to 2016 at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Yeh was having this debate with a mate of mine, but there is more then one way to skin a cat . .

Is there anything stopping UEFA/FIFA introducing their own version of a "wealth tax" to all registered footballers within their domain? It could be dressed up as a registration fee or some sort of insurance fund (or something like that ) . .

If you want to play for a club or country regulated by these institutions you simply cant avoid paying the tax. You could have it on a sliding scale and basically lump it higher the more a player earns. . .

I can hardly see the ability of enough players to branch out and create their own leagues and if the taxed money had to be ploughed back into the game (with a portion going into youth development of the players club to incentivise the clubs to go along with it!). Then they could get their high wages but more of it would at least go back into the game (or at least have a chance at going into the game!) . .

There would be strikes and kicking and screaming but it would be (if administered and presented properly) addressing the ridiculous issue of wages that currently exists . .

I dont care what the players think they are worth (with the dodgy agents whoring them to the highest bidder), but surely its more important for the games progression that a solution is found for the greater good instead of waiting for things to inevitably collapse, particularly when a replacement for oil is found! (how many clubs will be screwed!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

In MLB they have a Luxury Tax on teams who's payroll is over a a certain amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Salary caps are bollocks IMO. Say for example the PL figure was limited to 60,000 per week- a figure that even the poorest club in the league could afford for at least one player. There would always be a few players who would fall to the wayside, who would be of the attitude of why treat my body like a temple and make so many sacrifices to be the player that United/ Chelsea expect of me, when I can go on the lash every night, have a mid level of physical fitness but still get paid the same high wage to play for relegation battlers.

Aside from that it increases the temptation to fix matches. Terrible idea IMO.

A salary cap would decrease the divide between teams though. It wouldn't just be United, City,Chelsea etc being at the top of the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

The TV money after Barca and Real are done with it is actually shared between the other 18 teams, plus all the segunda teams.

And someone said they deserve it because they've earned that money? Please. How have they earned it?

By being the best teams? They have the best players, very often bought from other Spanish teams.
    How do they get the best players? By having the most money.
    Where does the money come from? From TV rights.

Advertisement