Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEP Work Exchange Visa

Options
  • 30-08-2012 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I lived in Wellingtion for 3 of the last 5 years though I'm back home now. I have been living in Ireland for nearly a year now but I've always regretted coming back (more to do with visa expiry then my own plans). During that time in NZ I used my WHV so I thought my only way back was to get sponsorship.

I've been working as an IT contractor since I've been home and I've managed to save up a few thousand in my NZ fund. My intial hope was to get residency but my score is 120-130 on EOI so the only way to increase that was to get a job offer which is unfortunately quite hard from another country. With a job offer my score increases to over 220.

The only option I could think of was to travel to NZ on a visitor visa and hopefully manage to secure an interview, get a job and then get sponsorship before my funds very quickly ran out.

It was actually only yesterday that I found out about the IEP Work Exchange Visa by reading through a previous thread on here. I realise that it is an expensive option but one that I feel is worth it as it gives me another year in the country but more importantly gives the option to work. The first time I was there I managed to get a permanent position within 2 weeks which eventually turned into sponsorship so I know it's possible.

Just wanted to get people up to date opinions on the VISA? Is it really a viable option for me and my long term plans (i.e. residency etc)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ASBO

Hey. Hope you dont mind me asking a question of my own within this thread.
    My girlfriend and I are 31/32 and due to recent change in work circumstance are keen to get away for at least a year or two. Was just sussing working holiday visa options and NZ is a place we both would love to visit.

Because of our age am I correct in understanding that the only option we have for a WHV is through this IEP programme exclusively offered by BUNAC?

Am I correct to state that Australia is not an option due to our age? (We have admin backgrounds so doubt we are on any skills shortage lists).

If any other ways of arranging visas ourselves I'd love to hear them as from experience the 'packages' on offer are for the most part overpriced and easily doable yourself.

Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 skii29

Hi

I'm interested in finding out aboit the IEP Work Visa for New Zealand. I too am over the age of 30. Can you work in any type job with this Visa or are you restricted? Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Has anyone done this visa?

Other than having $3000 in your account when applying for the visa it doesn't seem that expensive, or am I reading it wrong? £189 for the visa itself isn't that bad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

skii29 wrote: »
    Hi

I'm interested in finding out aboit the IEP Work Visa for New Zealand. I too am over the age of 30. Can you work in any type job with this Visa or are you restricted? Thanks

Yeah the visa explicitly says the user can work in any job anywhere in NZ for the length of the visa.
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    Has anyone done this visa?

Other than having $3000 in your account when applying for the visa it doesn't seem that expensive, or am I reading it wrong? £189 for the visa itself isn't that bad really.

Yeah I actually went ahead with this visa and was successful in my application. Will be heading back later this year.

You have to order it through a company called Bunac and their extras bring the full price over £500 which is fairly steep. Imo it was worth it as I wanted to go back and could afford it.

The below was the information provided from the company themselves regarding the visa about the extras etc
    The IEP Work Exchange visa is a relatively new visa which was launched by New Zealand Immigration a few years ago. The visa is a result of petitioning from IEP in Auckland for a new opportunity for people to travel to New Zealand without having to use up their Working Holiday visa (which is once-in-a-lifetime). The visa was only made available based on the support package provided by IEP and BUNAC through the Work New Zealand programme, and as a result, it is only available as part of the Work New Zealand Essentials package

This visa was not really intended for people who had previously held the Working Holiday visa; it was designed to be used for a first trip to New Zealand (for people requiring the support of the Work New Zealand programme) allowing people to use the Working Holiday visa at a later date independently of BUNAC, but it just happened that anyone who previously held a Working Holiday visa (and is aged 30 to 35) can apply for this second opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I put in an application too for the IEP, to legitimise the "just fly over and get a job" recommendation I keep hearing from recruiters..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jhf

What are the requirements for the IEP? ie do you need to go for medical and do u need to need to apply from ireland or uk?

Its all on the Bunac website. Medical requirements are for over 12mths per Visa (not offered to Irish people) or if you have already been there for 12mths on a WHV or similar previously... ie normal NZ Visa rules.

You apply online.. dont know why you think you would have be accessing the Net from the UK?? You dont.

Just go read the site.

jhf wrote: »
    What are the requirements for the IEP? ie do you need to go for medical and do u need to need to apply from ireland or uk?

Just to let you know that if you had checked the website you would have seen the qouta for this visa has been used up so you'll have to wait till 2014 to apply!

And yes you also needed to be living in the UK or Ireland to apply according to the site!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

That's kinda frustrating that they're sold already. I was registering for one but my Passport is at home (I work in a different county) so couldn't complete the registration. It did say though that anyone registering after June couldn't be guaranteed a visa so I was happy to leave it.

• Advertisement

Yeah I noticed that June deadline as well but when I emailed them back in January they said that the allocation is normally gone by then so I was glad I put my application in soon after.

Looks to be a popular visa though it seems they only get a small allocation of them.

Well there's always next year anyway!

If I'd gotten one I wouldn't have been going until then anyway so I'm not stuck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Question on this. I'm applying for this visa myself at the moment and on the BUNAC website it says the visa is 189 pounds but when I'm completing the form its upwards of 500 pounds, any idea why this is? Seems incredibly steep. Im applying for January 2014 as it says the alloaction for 2013 has been used up already.

One more question, can this visa be used in conjunction with an employer sponsoring you after the year like a one year WHV?

Thanks.

FearDark wrote: »
    Question on this. I'm applying for this visa myself at the moment and on the BUNAC website it says the visa is 189 pounds but when I'm completing the form its upwards of 500 pounds, any idea why this is? Seems incredibly steep. Im applying for January 2014 as it says the alloaction for 2013 has been used up already.
    I thought it was around £375 in total, but yes, you have to pay for the Visa then their "package" too, which is an induction and book and Admin work. Thats just the deal they have with the NZ Immigration people.
    FearDark wrote: »
    One more question, can this visa be used in conjunction with an employer sponsoring you after the year like a one year WHV?
    Not sure what you mean, "Sponsorship" is a bit more Aussie than NZ. If you get a job for a year then you can claim the points in SkillSelect (assuming its a relevant and skilled job), the WHV or IEP have no specific follow on Visa options though.

What exact (ie the name) longer Term Visa are you going for? Im going for the Skilled Migrant Visa, which is a Residency points based by invitation Visa.

Advertisement