Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Removing Overspray

• 30-08-2012 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi all,
    After washing my car a few weeks ago, I noticed a gritty feeling to the paint afterwards. I have now discovered that its overspray from the paint shop in work.

I've been doing some research on how to remove it and from what I've found the consensus seems to be that a claybar will probably be the best tool for the job.

Does anyone have any experience with dealing with overspray? Is the clay bar defo the way to go? Any tips on using it? Or should I save my self a few quid and forget the clay and invest in a proper polisher?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

It my experience a clay bar will remove contaminants in paint that can feel like overspray, However I would not be too optimistic in it removing actual overspray (but would be interested to find out if it would :D).
    In your position I would get a clay kit and try it first as at about €30 it's a lot cheaper than a DA polisher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Neilw

I removed overspray from a car I was detailing, I had to use an aggressive clay as the mild clay I had which is similar to meguiars wouldn't shift it.
    The downside to using an aggressive clay was it marred the clearcoat, it didn't bother me at the time as I was machine polishing afterwards anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pedro7

The Clay took the over spray off. But it marred the paint slightly. Defo needs a spin polish now at some stage. For now a double coat of SRP sealed with Collinite covers up all the imperfections! Thanks for the advice folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Good to hear that you got it off :)

Out of interest what clay did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pedro7

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Good to hear that you got it off :)

Out of interest what clay did you use?

Dodo juice basics of bling and what ever the dodo juice clay lube is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

pedro7 wrote: »
    Dodo juice basics of bling and what ever the dodo juice clay lube is.

oooh Matron! :D

Advertisement