Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing honeymoon?

Options
  • 30-08-2012 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭

Getting married at the end of February next year and starting to think about the honeymoon. It'll have to be a few months after the wedding and, if we're lucky, we might be able to get someone to mind the kids for a week at most.

In terms of ability, my fiancée used to surf a lot but hasn't been on a board in 6 years or so and I've been out a total of about 6 times on rented boards so somewhere suitable for beginners / intermediates is needed. Wouldn't rule out a surf school holiday as lessons would probably be a good thing for me!

Fiancée is a total sun worshipper so need somewhere with decent weather that's not so long a flight away that you'd be jetlagged for half the week and we're going to be on a fairly tight budget.

Sounds easy, right? You're all thinking Biarritz / San Sebastian. Thing is, we've been to Biarritz together and I spent a few days in Donostia after San Fermin back in 2007 and, while both are nice places, I'd like our honeymoon to be somewhere neither of us have been before.

Anyone able to recommend somewhere we could get to on Ryanair flights with reliable surf that's not totally unsuitable for beginners, has nice weather in Spring and would make for a memorable honeymoon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 No good names left

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Definitely seems to have some potential. Have you surfed there?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Morocco could also be a good option. Haven't been myself but have friends who were. Seems to be set up pretty well for beginners & intermediate. not entirely sure if Ryanair fly there though.

Ah, it doesn't necessarily have to be a Ryanair flight, just something close enough that we wouldn't lose half the holiday to jet-lag!

My first thoughts, and what I'd go for if money was no object and we didn't have to worry about babysitters (i.e. could go for 2/3 weeks) was Bali but I can remember literally falling asleep at a bar in Melbourne the day after flying there and don't want to spend half my honeymoon in bed (in that way at least!) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Money no object, then Hawaii - suits all surfing levels

Realistic budget, then would highly recommend Morocco, look at the surf camps there. Been there several times and loved it. Or else, I would recommend southern Portugal, look at Lagos, surf camps that will take you on day trips but lots of other things to do, beautiful spot.

• Advertisement

Hawaii is a bit too much of a trek for a week though isn't it? You'd lose at least two days of the week getting there and back. :(

Morocco certainly seems to have a bit of romance to it though and neither of us have ever been. Might be nicer to see on a surf break than a standard package holiday too...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pablosan

Try Portugal! I did it :) it is great, and you have every kind of waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Mexico, flights not to bad and you'll get paradise for a week

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pablosan

rodento wrote: »
    Mexico, flights not to bad and you'll get paradise for a week

oh yes, you are more than right!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 No good names left

Or the Maldives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I second Portugal. I went there last year for a week with my gf and we had a ball surfing for the week.

Definitely plenty to think on here. Morocco has a certain romance to it (could stay a night in Marrakesh) and we've been to the Algarve before but something tells me that it might be easier to find a touch of luxury combined with surfing in Portugal?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AntHraxEater

Take a look at the Surf Experience outside Lagos - http://thesurfexperience.eu - their accommodation is more at the luxury-end than most surf camps, particularly the first floor rooms in the villa. Food is excellent, great surf instructors, the slight drawback is you need to get a taxi for trips into Lagos.

They run a Winter camp in Sri Lanka as well, the travel time would rule it out for your honeymoon but I highly recommend it otherwise.

By the way this is the German-run Surf Experience, not to be confused with the English-run Surf Experience in Lagos which is a completely different business. From the pics their accommodation is just basic. (I didn't stay with them).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

South Africa. They are only an hour ahead of Ireland. Stay in camps Bay near Cape Town and you are 25 minutes drive from a beginner beach in muizenberg. Plenty to see and do there.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 roberb

Maybe too late for this but if you haven't decided then have a look at Ericeira in Portugal. Great mix of old and new, very romantic for the missus :) Will be hot enough for sun worshippers from May. Check out the Helios Bungalows on surfholidays.com. Or the Vila Gale hotel. Really nice spot and easy to spend a night or two in Lisbon also

Advertisement