Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel to Austrailia

Options
  • 30-08-2012 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have been thinking about travelling the last six months, I am nearly positive it is something that I want to do whilst I have no long term responsibilities.

I havent really done much research on Austrailia as I was looking at America/Canada but I think I have ruled that out now!

I was wondering what is rated the best place in Oz to live, for work, social etc? Where is more popular for Irish folk to go?

Would really appreciate some feedback!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

Can't really go wrong with any of the big cities, I'm in Melbourne at the moment and love it, was up in Sydney before that for a while, didn't like it as much but it was a decent place to live.

Depends what you're trying to get out of it I suppose, like if you want to travel and see everything or work and save money, and if you want to meet people, or if you're going with friends etc? Everyone comes over wanting to get different things out of it, so it can be hard to give advice on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Googlegirl86

I think initially I'd like to pick a city & settle there working for a while & save some money, then move on from there once I have some idea of what it is all about?

I have a friend who loved Melbourne too? Sydney is supposed to be really expensive is that true?

I also know a few people that are in Perth at the min and they seem to like that?

Are you living there long term or just for the year??

There is an expo on here in Dublin on the 06th of Oct so i'll take a trip to that, I was already at the one in March but was researching Canada at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

Looks like I'm just here for the year unless I get sponsored or something. Spent about 3 months in Sydney, and I've been in Melbourne for 4 months now.

I think everyone finds it expensive when they first get here, there's a much higher cost of living then at home, but wages are a lot higher so it balances out. Price of drink is fairly high too, that takes a bit of getting used to! Sydney and Melbourne are fairly similar cost wise, I think Perth can be kind of pricey because of all the miners, not 100% on that though.

We never really planned anything or went to the expo, just kind of winged it, so you'll probably be a lot better off coming over with some information! Let us know if you need any more info on it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

I think initially I'd like to pick a city & settle there working for a while & save some money, then move on from there once I have some idea of what it is all about?

I have a friend who loved Melbourne too? Sydney is supposed to be really expensive is that true?

I also know a few people that are in Perth at the min and they seem to like that?

Are you living there long term or just for the year??

There is an expo on here in Dublin on the 06th of Oct so i'll take a trip to that, I was already at the one in March but was researching Canada at the time!

There's an expo this Tuesday - https://jobsie-lnk.visafirst.com/en/australian_skilled_migrant_visa_popup.asp

Advertisement