Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question

Options
  • 30-08-2012 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

So, if a property is available to move in on October the 5th, and I sign a lease tomorrow, when do I pay the first months rent and deposit.

Is deposit paid when the contract is signed and the first months rent paid on October the fifth? Or all at once?

Cheers,
    Dean .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

In that case I would probably give a small holding deposit and hold off on signing the lease and paying the rent and remaining deposit until you get the keys on Oct 5th.

Are they expecting you to come up with the rent/deposit tomorrow? Why are you signing a lease tomorrow for a place thats not going to be available for over a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

djimi wrote: »
    In that case I would probably give a small holding deposit and hold off on signing the lease and paying the rent and remaining deposit until you get the keys on Oct 5th.

Are they expecting you to come up with the rent/deposit tomorrow? Why are you signing a lease tomorrow for a place thats not going to be available for over a month?

Thanks for the reply :)

No. This is my first time renting. I've familiarised myself with about every law and guideline but couldn't find deposit etiquette anywhere :o

I havn't even view yet and have just started looking in the past few days. Found a place that looked really great - would suit me down to the ground. It's available October 5th . I have the deposit and half the rent in my bank account which I've been saving up.

Was simply wondering how the letting agent would want to proceed about payment if I was to like the place upon viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Typically you dont sign the lease and hand over the deposit and first months rent until the day you get they keys. The norm (I think) would be to give a holding deposit in cases where the place isnt available right away.

Id be wary about handing over too much cash in advance of actually getting the keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

djimi wrote: »
    Typically you dont sign the lease and hand over the deposit and first months rent until the day you get they keys. The norm (I think) would be to give a holding deposit in cases where the place isnt available right away.

Id be wary about handing over too much cash in advance of actually getting the keys.

Cool. Thanks for the tip :)

I haven't even spoke to the agent yet. Any questions of handing over huge sums of money before the keys are in sight will set alarm bells ringing!

Thanks man.

Advertisement