Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traveller feud about to kick off?

• 30-08-2012 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

It has been reported today that a female member of the traveller community of a large and well known family was beaten to death by a number of unknown men.

Firstly I want to give my condolences to her husband and children.

On to the next point, this will almost certainly lead to a large scale traveller feud between two of the largest traveller families in the country and will probably cross over to England also.

Considering this has the potential to reach levels of violence that has been unheard of for many years is there anything the gardai can realistically do to stop this tradegy leading to all out war?

Areas such as the midlands could turn into warzones over the next few weeks and that is no exaggeration.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Jaysus OP give us a link or something to go on there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

It has been reported today that a female member of the traveller community of a large and well known family was beaten to death by a number of unknown men.

Firstly I want to give my condolences to her husband and children.

On to the next point, this will almost certainly lead to a large scale traveller feud between two of the largest traveller families in the country and will probably cross over to England also.

Considering this has the potential to reach levels of violence that has been unheard of for many years is there anything the gardai can realistically do to stop this tradegy leading to all out war?

Areas such as the midlands could turn into warzones over the next few weeks and that is no exaggeration.

How do you know all this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

...is it not best to leave em' be and let them sort it out their own way?

Can't imagine tha Garda would/could do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

It was Michael Quinn McDonagh's wife. He was the red-headed guy in the documentary Knuckle.

From the Indo:
    BARE-KNUCKLE boxer Michael Quinn McDonagh ran onto the road in front of his Dundalk home screaming: "She’s dead, she’s dead" after his wife was beaten to death.

The traumatised settled Traveller was dressed only in his boxer shorts, according to reports today.

“He was in a terrible state. He was running up and down the road screaming that his wife was dead. The gardai were trying to console him,” one unnamed source told the Irish Star.

The couple’s three children Chloe (14), Nikita (10) and Mikey (5) were in the house at the time of the attack on their mother Jacqueline McDonagh (34).

Michael’s brother James Quinn McDonagh, the star of the hit RTE documentary Knuckle, appealed on Facebook: “Can everyone please pray for Jacqueline, our Michael’s wife, who died this morning RIP.”

Knuckle showed both boxers fighting with rival Travellers and they became familiar faces in Ireland and the UK. Michael is understood to have been recently photographed with Olympic champion Katie Taylor.

Murder victim Jacqueline is the reason the documentary was made, according to today’s Daily Mail.

As she prepared to marry Michael Quinn Mc Donagh her parents engaged filmmaker Ian Palmer to film the wedding and that his how he met the Quinn McDonagh family.

In an interview last year Ian Palmer said: “I was introduced to the family of this girl Jacqueline, who was getting married to Michael. I met James at Michael’s wedding.

“A couple of weeks later the other brother Paddy gave me a call, ‘Do you wanna (come out?) James is training’.

“So it was step-by-step. I was never focused on forcing my way into this world. This world opened up. A crack opened.”

The first scene in the critically acclaimed Knuckle is from the couple’s wedding in 1997 and it features the feud between the Quinn McDonaghs and the Nevin and Joyce families.

Gardai are investigating reports that an armed gang of men entered the house and beat Jacqueline with a weapon.

“This was nothing more than a cowardly attack on a defenceless woman. Gardai will do everything they can to bring whoever committed this awful crime to justice. This is a callous murder,” a garda source told The Sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I don't care as long as it doesn't affect me, frankly.

• Advertisement

Where have you read all this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Is this the woman in Drogheda/Dundalk (I can never separate the two in my head)?. I just find it very odd that a gang of travellers would break into a family's house and beat a woman to death. It doesn't seem like their style at all.

It's always the men beating the cr&p out of each other for a start.

Maybe you're on about something else of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Jaysus OP give us a link or something to go on there

I think the OP doesn't want to get in trouble with the mods but if you look at the front page of the Indo it might clear things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Closed for review.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement