Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maths Recognition - or upskilling

• 30-08-2012 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi guys,

I unfortunately have been shafted in my previous school and thus I am currently unemployed. I am trying to use my "gap" year and be as constructive as I can and upskill. I thought I had maths in year one however the TC are stating that I only have financial Maths and so would have to do an undergrad to get recognition. I have looked at the Open University and UCD (deadline closed) but just wondered if there were any other methods of recognition?

Failing this would anybody have any advice on what else I could do to add strings to my bow so I am not sitting idle next September. I currently have the 3 Business subjects and LCVP.

Thank you so much in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

could check out the maths course in UL applications open til tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Copied from another thread
    "If she can't afford to add an extra subject to her cv then do as many free/cheap courses in theory or extra curricular that she can. Eg Edx.com, offer to help at a local Gaa club or set up a youth choir in a church, help with the local drama club/musical society. Computers is a good one, try attending or helping at a coder dojo. Consider a first aid course.
    In teaching at the moment it is all about what you can bring to the school. I've actually been asked that by a principal in an interview, what do I bring to the school that others dont"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Isn't there a course being taught somewhere at the minute that qualifies teachers to teach Maths? try to find it and check your suitability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

doc_17 wrote: »
    Isn't there a course being taught somewhere at the minute that qualifies teachers to teach Maths? try to find it and check your suitability

If you want to do this the closing date is tomorrow - it's in UL but you have to be teaching at least one maths class before you can do it as a principal has to sign off on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Smiles2012

Thank you so much for your replies. I am trying to apply for the UL course however I think you may need Maths in your degree to apply, does anybody have any information about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Smiles2012 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for your replies. I am trying to apply for the UL course however I think you may need Maths in your degree to apply, does anybody have any information about this?

Yes as far as I know you would have to have maths in your degree. The course is to correct any shortfalls from your degree - not a new degree. You have to be working before you can do the course and timetabled for at least one maths class per week. I emailed UL and they verified this as I have an IT based degree. I would have done the course but I was told that you had to be teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Lexor

DIT (Kevin Street) do a BSc(Ord) degree in Mathematics in the evenings (two nights per week over two years). Not sure what the full-time options might be (if there is one).

Advertisement