Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navicular Disease

Options
  • 30-08-2012 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of this. I've been reading about the symptoms and my mare is showing quite a few at the moment. Not looking for a professional vet opinion here (mods ;)) as I am going to get the vet up this weekend but just wondering if anyone has experienced it, symptoms, treatment, success etc.

My 20 year old sport horse mare had been going lame intermittently for the last year or so. She'll be fine one day, dog lame the next for about 3/4 days and then fine again. Had the vet up a few times and, just typical, it was always the days she turned out to be sound again and he could find nothing wrong. I think she is somewhat arthritic as well with age but this is something different.

Her feet tend to grow long in the toe and her her heel is very low to the ground. She is shod to correct this but still seems to be coming up lame.

Another worry is the change in her behaviour when ridden. She has always been a fizzy, headstrong forward mare who loves to jump and is very up for her work. I moved yards about 3 months ago and she is now out on grass all day and in in the evening, whereas before she was just out in a bare turnout paddock. other than the grass her routine has not changed, she is still fed hard feed twice a day and ridden 4/5 days a week. In the last 2 months I have noticed she has become very sluggish for her when ridden; whereas before i was pulling her back constantly, i now find there is a lot more leg involved! she just doesnt feel like herself anymore.

In the last week she has become lame again, with heat in her front tendon and an unwillingness to bring her right hind in underneath her body in trot. She has been off work but I haven't put her on box rest completely as I feel she will just stiffen standing in? She doesnt go mad in the field so I felt she was probably better off out walking around a bit to stay loose.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I am facing the horrible decision of deciding whether or not to retire her; she has always loved her work but now I am concerned that I am putting her through discomfort riding her. At the same time I worry that by taking her out of work I am jeopardising her health as well - people are always completely taken aback when I tell them her age as she doesnt look any older than 12! I feel that being ridden and worked has kept her in good shape but maybe now is the time to take a step back?

Any advice/experiences would be welcome, she won't be going anywhere retired or not as she is with me for the rest of her life but I just want to be sure that I am doing the best thing for her.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 KazNCD

Sorry to hear about your horse.

Be careful about self diagnosing from the web as you can end up treating something that may not be there. My own horse was very similar with low flat soft hoof and also displayed all the symptoms you describe. He would be perfectly fine one day and then the next would be very lame and stiff and reluctant to come out of the stable. I changed saddles, got work done on his back, had farrier put all types of shoes etc on but it was still a recurring problem. When he was sound he was amazing full of attitude but when he was lame he was miserable in himself as well as lame. He was eventually diagnosed with something totally different to navicular, basically a problem with his legs which meant he couldn't handle the level of work we were doing e.g. riding club activities and jumping, his legs would just seize up and become strained, sore and stiff. He had to be given time off and can no longer be jumped but is perfectly suited to light hacking. He is enjoying retirement with going for the a hack 3-4 times a week.

Note when the horse is lame e.g first thing when being exercised or after exercise when being turned out, give all information to your vet and farrier. If it is navicular, I believe a good farrier could advise you as well. Hope you get sorted.

Advertisement