Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O Hara's Stout

• 30-08-2012 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Far superior to all three of them in my opinion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Not a patch on any of them in my opinion !!

Not even in the same galaxy as Guinness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

O'Hara's is a much better stout than the 3 major brands, one of the bets produced on the Island, I prefer it to Shandon or any of the 3 regular productions from Porter House.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

In a blind tasting of draught, I found O'Hara's and Murphy's were equal best with Guinness and Beamish equal worst.

In bottles, IIRC, Carlow's M&S Stout and Whitewater Belfast Black came out on top. Guinness was way down the list, well below O'Hara's. Beamish and Murphy's weren't included as they couldn't be got in non-nitro bottle form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Slattsy wrote: »
    Not a patch on any of them in my opinion !!
    I presume/hope! you mean the opposite of that, "not a patch" would mean it is nowhere near as good as any of them.

I much prefer it, shame it is not in more places. I was staying in a hotel in carlow (its brewed there) and was delighted to see it. I was lashing them down and when I came back from the toilet later on my mate said the barman had been laughing at me saying "nobody drinks that sh*te around here"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Depends what you want from a beer I suppose. If you want to chug down a load of beers well then Guinness, Murphy's and Beamish would be the way to go. But if you want lots of flavour well then O'Hara's your only man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Aquila wrote: »
    Whats this like compared to Guinness,Murphy's and Beamish?
    Is it a better tasting stout?worth the price you will find in stores?

Better than all three in my opinion, I prefer O'Haras Leann Follain myself but it's a little strong to be a session beer (for me, anyway!). Belfast Black is lovely too. I've only recently discovered the joy of bottled stouts and Guinness tastes extremely bland now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

rubadub wrote: »
    I was staying in a hotel in carlow (its brewed there) and was delighted to see it.

Which hotel was this? I live in Carlow and have never seen it on sale in any pubs or bars. Which is a shame as, like most of the other posters, I feel that it is far superior to Guinness and most other stouts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Better than all three in my opinion, I prefer O'Haras Leann Follain myself but it's a little strong to be a session beer (for me, anyway!). Belfast Black is lovely too. I've only recently discovered the joy of bottled stouts and Guinness tastes extremely bland now.

Bottled guinness Extra and Foreign Extra are actually lovely :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I´d go O´Haras every time, especially since Guinness isn´t actually that cheap in a lot of places. To me the flavour of O´Haras is much fuller. Leann Follain is also a thing of beauty especially when consumed at warmer temperatures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

Another vote for O'Hara's here over Guinness or Beamish. I actually quite like Murphy's, although I don't come across it too much. Belfast Black and Knockmealdown Porter are well worth trying if you haven't come across them before for variations on the theme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

BeerNut wrote: »
    Beamish and Murphy's weren't included as they couldn't be got in non-nitro bottle form.

I know you said bottle but Beamish comes in a non-nitro can, Supervalue Raheny is the only place I've seen it, got one a while ago and enjoyed it.

Anyone know if Murphy's do a non-nitro can/bottle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ziphius wrote: »
    Which hotel was this?
    it was the Lord Bagenal

rubadub wrote: »
    it was the Lord Bagenal

Great. Thanks. I must head over some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

O'Hara's Leann Follain is superb - hands down the best stout in Ireland, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Haven't tasted any of the Carlow stouts but if the ales and beer are anything to go by I'd say they're quality. Must try some soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

O'Hara's Leann Follain is superb - hands down the best stout in Ireland, in my opinion.

yes one of the best, there are a few though :p;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Aquila wrote: »
    Whats this like compared to Guinness,Murphy's and Beamish?
    Is it a better tasting stout?

That's completely subjective, and only you can answer that. Of the four mentioned Guinness has the least flavour, but that doesn't mean it's a bad stout. My personal preference would be for Beamish or O'Hara's, but they are not particularly similar. I like them for different reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

a shout out to Black Rock Stout anyone ? its beautiful

and while a porter knockmedown is yummy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

O'Hara's Stout and Leann Follain are both great (though I prefer the stout), but I also really like Beamish. If O'Hara's was available on tap, I'd definitely drink it, but being that I live in Cork, Beamish and Murphy's are everywhere. I don't buy Guinness ever :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Frozen_Rainbow

Oy yeah Ireland land of Stout.
    As i wrote one time, draught Beamish , Murphy´s and O´Haras are genius Stouts in my eyes difficult to find better than this typical smooth creamy taste, a little bit better than Guiness, although I like Guiness draught too. And genius are their cans like draught for home (God bless this genius founder).
    Last week I got a O´Hara Stout bottle , but I was not satisfied there was a dominating coffe taste, so far my recensions.

And one little thing off-topic,
    I am living in Germany, and we cannot get Beamish anywhere here. I am lookin´ for someone who would send me a package with post. On the other side I would send German beer cans (Krombacher Pils, Veltins Pils, Warsteiner for example) .
    If there anybody is in mood to try it , please contact me on pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

Sounds like an idea. Considering a bottle/can of Veltins or Krombacher costs about 70c in Germany and a can of Beamish is what? €2.20 or something, you'd need to send over quite a bit in return :) I can understand you're missing the stuff from home though, its hard to get good stout in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Frozen_Rainbow

Dear Franticfrank, dear all forget my post.
    Sorry I did not know this detail. I thought that in supermarkets we here (and you there) have supermarkets prices like here in Germany where a Krombacher can cost 0,79 Euro and 20 premium beer bottles not more than 15,00 Euros. These are normal prices here in Germany. But 2,20 Euros for a normal can in a normal shop is in my eyes a catastrophy :eek: (or everybody in Ireland earns 10.000 euros per month :confused: ) Thanx for information, at least we can buy here Murphys and Guiness cans :pac:

I would do it for a slab of that sweet sweet Augustiner Helles.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

From the stouts I'd drinks regularily (or enough to form an opinion) my league of which is best goes like this.

Leann Follain
    Mi Daza (Benny McCabe brewed stout based on old Beamish recipe, only available in his bars)
    O' Hara's Stout
    Beamish
    Murphys
    Guinness

I don't drink other ones regularily enough to form a full opinion, but I did also really enjoy the Double Chocolate Stout.

Guinness I can barely stomach anymore, I feel like there is something wrong with every pint I get of it. Even though there isn't, it's just not what I thought it was when I started stouts.

Being from Cork Beamish is my go to drink. Given it's available in most bars.

Being from Cork .

Have you ever tried Shandon Stout brewed by the Cork brewery Franciscan Well? I like their other beers but have never seen the stout on sale in Dublin.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Ziphius wrote: »
    Have you ever tried Shandon Stout brewed by the Cork brewery Franciscan Well? I like their other beers but have never seen the stout on sale in Dublin.

The Cobblestone down in Smithfield have it on draught, tastes lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

O'Hara's actually has a flavour, Guinness at best is bland and uninteresting....

• Advertisement

From the stouts I'd drinks regularily (or enough to form an opinion) my league of which is best goes like this.

Leann Follain
    Mi Daza (Benny McCabe brewed stout based on old Beamish recipe, only available in his bars)
    O' Hara's Stout
    Beamish
    Murphys
    Guinness

I don't drink other ones regularily enough to form a full opinion, but I did also really enjoy the Double Chocolate Stout.

Guinness I can barely stomach anymore, I feel like there is something wrong with every pint I get of it. Even though there isn't, it's just not what I thought it was when I started stouts.

Being from Cork Beamish is my go to drink. Given it's available in most bars.

Is this in Cork? I'd love to try it

Advertisement