Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it illegal to send a clients data through the post?

Options
  • 30-08-2012 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I wasn't sure which forum to put this in, please feel free to move it.

Simple really, is it illegal to post a client's data, on Memory Stick for instance or otherwise, from a business to the client.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Simple really, is it illegal to post a client's data, on Memory Stick for instance or otherwise, from a business to the client.
    Not simple really. What's the data? Have you signed a non-disclosure-agreement? Do you have a privacy policy? What does your contract with the client say?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

No, but if it gets lost and you have caused a breach of their personal data you could be in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

How would this any different than sending a letter containing the same information by post?

Invoices, quotes, contracts, bank statements etc are sent by post every day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

juan.kerr wrote: »
    How would this any different than sending a letter containing the same information by post?

Invoices, quotes, contracts, bank statements etc are sent by post every day.
    In general digital data has higher requirements then their paper counterpart (for example you can send a paper invoice but sending a scanned copy of the same invoice is not considered a legal invoice for VAT recovery etc.).

To the OP you're asking a legal question; the only one that can answer that is a solicitor and not random people on the internet. In general as advice I would never recommend to send anything via normal post and courier only if it is encrypted properly as a general rule of thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

There are lots of issues with this and no simple answer. A lot depends on the information you are sending and the industry that you are working in.

If you are going to send information via usb stick, then it should not leave without encrypting the data and sending the password (if you are using a password to decrypt) by a completely different method.

I am not sure if a solicitor could really help, you might be better aiming towards some sort of information security consultant as they will deal with this type of issue more often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

1. Encrypt the stick. Give the destination user the password / key.
    2. Encrypt the data. FTP the data to the end user.

Moto : ENCRYPT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

RangeR wrote: »
    1. Encrypt the stick. Give the destination user the password / key.
    2. Encrypt the data. FTP the data to the end user.

Moto : ENCRYPT!!!

Definitely this. I came out of the gym one night and found a memory stick full of legal information. Old and new cases and personal details and was shocked that someone carried this stuff around on a usb stick with no encryption. I ended up finding details of the Solicitor who owned it and gave it back to them and while I was there showed them how to encrypt the usb stick if they insisted carrying all that data around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Plus send if sending via mail - register it for the extra few euro.

Advertisement