Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No fathers at kids first day of school this morning

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Since when is "kids first day at school" a family occasion? I've two and I'm still not entirely sure where they go to school. Is that not why god invented Mammies? I want them back when they're 17, preferably with a driving licence and some skills with power tools. "Congrats son, you're a man now, here, have a van. Work is thattaway===>" that's my ideal "father/son" conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Maybe it's not a big thing anymore but my young lad started school this morning & there were only 4 fathers present out of a class of 28 kids.
    I know 2 of the lads were unemployed so it suited them but I thought it was a bit sad.
    Are people that fearful for their jobs that they forgo family occasions now ?.
    Anyway, sad :(
    So did four men sire twenty eight children? DNS school?
    Ok, ok, I'm already hiding in a safe house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I took my 5 year old to a strip club the other day. Out of 120 people in there I could only see 2 wimmins & they had their jugs out.

Women. Lazy slags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I would not miss either of my Kids first day of school and also their end of year school party. My Kids started school last week, youngest into 1st grade, brought her to her class, met her teacher, had a chat and got her settled in. Once done, over to the oldest 4th grade class, again meet the teacher, get him settled and wish them both a great day.

Look, kids will always love to have one or both parents present on important occasions also, when the teachers see you as a parent being active in your children’s upbringing, I believe this helps the Child. I have spoken and have friends who are school teachers and they told me when the see the parents taking a keen and honest interest in their children’s education, the teacher automatically takes to the children which can only benefit them.

I remember at the end of my Daughter’s school year last May, the Teacher had a video presentation with pictures of the whole school year. I would have not missed it for the world, my Daughter sitting on my lap, all proud of her self and proud to have her Dad with her, It was an amazing experience. It’s the little things in life like the above that matter, not money, jobs, building memories for you and your children is whats important. Sure when you’re on your death bed and look back, if you don’t part take in your children’s activities , you will surely regret it.

There were several kids in my Daughters class at that end of school party who had no parents turn up to see them receive awards for their years achievements and it was very sad to see. I understand that not all parents can make it because of work commitments and some simply don’t care. I’m lucky that I can. The bottom line is that we as people are slaves to Society and for one reason or another would rather work or have to go to work and miss out on the important occasions with their kids, that is just a sad way to live to be honest.

When such events take place, I notify my Boss well in advance and I tell him, I am taking of for 2 hours to go and be with my Children on their special events.

I find it really sad that teachers would say they automatically take to kids whos parents should a keen and honest interest in their childs welfare. Surely teachers should take to all children especially those who don't have parents looking out for them as they should, the poor kids probably have it hard enough with disinterested parents witout teachers treating them differently from their more fortunate friends.

Both my husband and I have always made it to first day of school but I wasn't working then and I imagine if there were two parents working you would need to be pretty selective about keeping days off to a minimum so you could have them during the childrens school holidays or when they are sick.

To be honest I think people are too judgemental of parents who are most likely doing the best they can for their children, missing first day of school may seem sad but in most cases these parents are out working long hours to provide their children with roofs over their heads, food to eat and clothes to wear, they have probably spent many sleepless nights with crying infants and sick children, spend their time ferrying them where they need to go and every decision they make in their personal life is done with consideration to how it will effect their family. Its harsh to say that because one parent was unable to make first day of school that the child is really missing out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

All I noticed was the pedestrian footpath outside schools being obstructed by motorists today. Don't they know kids don't drive and have to use the path to navigate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Is the point of this thread trying to highlight differences in work allowances for mothers and fathers?
    Out of 28, you say only 4 fathers were there, does that mean that there was 24 mothers(females who may have been mothers/family/guardians) there?
    If this is the case and there was 24 mothers there but only 4 fathers maybe the OP is just questioning why that is?

Yes the father may have had to work, yes the father may be separated from the mother, couldn't get time off work etc., but surely out of 24 mothers ( again -if that was the case) plenty of them would have jobs too that they had to get time off from, some of them might also be separated but why would it automatically be assumed that in a separated couple it would only be the mother bringing the kid to first day of school? Are the questions you are raising: Why are there more stay at home mums than dads considering these kids are 5 and are unlikely to still be breast feeding? Are mothers more likely to have flexi time job, or are more mums more likely to be allowed time of work whereas a man is less likely, and if so then why is this?

I don't know if the above are even valid questions or not, so won't attempt to answer them, just trying to figure out the whole point you are trying to make in the op by only mentioning fathers not getting the time of work, when I'm sure mothers would have had to ask for time off aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Between primary, and secondary, I reckon my dad was only at them for the odd Navity and School play.
    HowAreWe wrote: »
    why is everyone being a prick in here?

NEWBIE ALERT!!

:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭Pa Dee

Maybe it's not a big thing anymore but my young lad started school this morning & there were only 4 fathers present out of a class of 28 kids.
    I know 2 of the lads were unemployed so it suited them but I thought it was a bit sad.
    Eh....children are women's work. Guess you enjoy changing nappies, giving bottles and pram pushing too ?

mod:

This is not the first incident of posts like the above. Banned for not heeding warnings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

smash wrote: »
    What's a Naionra?

A typo, should be Narnia, where posh people send their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Pa Dee wrote: »
    Eh....children are women's work. Guess you enjoy changing nappies, giving bottles and pram pushing too ?

I hope he does. Any self-respecting father who cares about his children should.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Bollox. I go out and deal with the cnunts so they don't have to/wife doesn't have to. IMO, women work when the man is unable to provide. That's my sincere view, I reckon 80% of women would rather be free to be with their children, 20% want to work and fair play if that's the case. If they would rather be with their kids and can't, their man aint one. That's my honest view, and no woman around me is working, that's my role. Equally, I'm not hoovering, thats her role - the house is hers, the kids are hers, the moneys hers. My job is to provide, and I do. For me, if your wife works, you're a pussy. 80% of the time. Honest. Cue a lot of pussies and liars posting "Pottler, you're a cnunt/dinosaur". Feck off, in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

My parents dropped me off at Junior Infants and collected me at the end of 6th year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The fathers did their job on the day of conception. It's the womens job from then on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Rabidlamb really should get a job writing for a tabloid.

"ALL FATHERS HAVE ABANDONED THEIR CHILDREN!!!!"

"Only four fathers were at some school today to see their children off on the first day of lessons. ALL of the rest of the FATHERS ABANDONED THEIR CHILDREN to the care of their mothers for the morning.

Some of these FATHERS were thought to perhaps have been FOREIGNERS!!!"

Daily Mail headlines:
    4 layabout dole cheat sponging fathers ruin first day as school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'm the youngest of five children so my first day of school involved my Ma practically throwing me into the classroom and running out of the school before I had a chance to react. My Dad waited in the car. It was her first day of freedom in 17 years so I'd probably do the same in fairness to her :pac:

Don't all children go to playschool now anyway? Who cares about the first day of school?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Pottler wrote: »
    Bollox. I go out and deal with the cnunts so they don't have to/wife doesn't have to. IMO, women work when the man is unable to provide. That's my sincere view, I reckon 80% of women would rather be free to be with their children, 20% want to work and fair play if that's the case. If they would rather be with their kids and can't, their man aint one. That's my honest view, and no woman around me is working, that's my role. Equally, I'm not hoovering, thats her role - the house is hers, the kids are hers, the moneys hers. My job is to provide, and I do. For me, if your wife works, you're a pussy. 80% of the time. Honest. Cue a lot of pussies and liars posting "Pottler, you're a cnunt/dinosaur". Feck off, in advance.
    I don't know where to start on this and I don't want a ban. You are unbelievable the first day of school is a big day for kids and both parents should be there if possible. You sound like a dinosaur and good luck to you. A lot of women want to work and that's their choice. I hope you enjoy the pen and speeches when you retire and treasure those memories. My wife and I work to enjoy precious memories with our child and we both enjoy our work and our leisure time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Pottler, you're a dinosaur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

Pottler, you're a dinosaur.

and a cnunt!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I turned up for my mine.
    I make it a point of doing so.
    A good parent is not someone that just makes money available and is there just on weekends.
    A parent (to me) is someone that participates and helps bring up their child and is there for them, with small things and large.
    Originally Posted by Pa Dee

If it means I get to share time in their lives?
    Yes - and very proud/honoured to be there for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Biggins wrote: »
    I turned up for my mine.
    I make it a point of doing so.
    A good parent is not someone that just makes money available and is there just on weekends.
    A parent (to me) is someone that participates and helps bring up their child and is there for them, with small things and large.

If it means I get to share time in their lives?
    Yes - and very proud/honoured to be there for them.

by comparing your personal experience, where you turned up for the first day and equating that with being a good parent, are you saying that for the vast majority of fathers who don't make it are bad parents, or less of a good parent than you are??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Bollox. I go out and deal with the cnunts so they don't have to/wife doesn't have to. I.

Is there much money in gynecology these days?

by comparing your personal experience, where you turned up for the first day and equating that with being a good parent, are you saying that for the vast majority of fathers who don't make it are bad parents, or less of a good parent than you are??
    Absolutely not.
    I'm saying that those trying in every way to involve themselves as best they can, are on their way to being an excellent parent.
    If that means only that they can be there in limited circumstances, thats unfortunate - but in those lesser circumstances, at least they are there - or trying to at least!

The bad parent is the one who can't be bother at all or even try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I always go to my kids first day of school, its a little first step to independence and they are going to be spending years doing a 9am start so its appropriate to mark it in some way IMO.

Also I need to make sure the missus isn't spending the back to school allowance on drink. LOL ;)

JJJJNR wrote: »
    ...Also I need to make sure the missus isn't spending the back to school allowance on drink. LOL ;)

We know what you look like - we wouldn't blame her! :p

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Biggins wrote: »
    Absolutely not.
    You did make it sound that way. Just saying is all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

TBH among people I know the first day of school is mostly a day for mothers to get kids who'd otherwise be fine upset by building the day up then crying themselves. It's generally the mother's day not the child's or father's. The kids themselves are fine and half of them probably don't even have a particularly strong memory of it ten years later. Most fathers I know would be less emotional about the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Not every child has a father in their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

my third child started school yesterday and tbh i didnt look around to see whose mammy or daddy was there or both, just left the child into the classroom and left. went by the school a full 30 minutes later and some of the parents cars where still there like wtf... go in leave child and go home simple as, easier on child

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Apparently today went worse than yesterday.
    The kids had to line up single file & a few buckled like their first night in Shawshank, ran crying to their mammy's & had to be hauled inside screaming.
    These will be singled out as the weakest of the bunch early days, the alpha kids are probably already licking their chops.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

The dog could bring the child to school because at 4 or 5 years of age they won't remember a thing when they're older.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Why not take photos at home (my first day of school photos were taken at our front door, as were my daughters).

If there are 26 children starting school, then there would be 52 parents in the classroom, along with the teacher and the teachers assistant. Drop the child into the classroom and let them get on with it. It is already very bewildering for children at the ages of 4 and 5 starting a new school without having the commotion of so many adults inside in the classroom too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Maybe the 4 fathers present were the fathers of all the kids :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

cofy wrote: »
    Why not take photos at home (my first day of school photos were taken at our front door, as were my daughters).

If there are 28 children starting school, then there would be 52 parents in the classroom, along with the teacher and the teachers assistant. Drop the child into the classroom and let them get on with it. It is already very bewildering for children at the ages of 4 and 5 starting a new school without having the commotion of so many adults inside in the classroom too.

28 * 2 = 56... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Did one of them lok like this guy?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDQeQShqK0HM4s1_RQ0ldFGi7TxKl-DGMo5X_iJ7yAZ7aAWN6_

The dog could bring the child to school because at 4 or 5 years of age they won't remember a thing when they're older.

I actually remember my first day at school. My mam cried, I didnt. :)

( and Im old now )
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

You don't know if the women there were mammies dropping them in, it could have been young grannies, au pairs etc.

Sala wrote: »
    You don't know if the women there were mammies dropping them in, it could have been young grannies, au pairs etc.

Gilfs?
    There's a thread for that.

Advertisement