Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hasanyone here left a good job in Ireland to go to Aus

Options
  • 30-08-2012 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Because thats exactly what im contemplating doing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Well I'm about to leave a secure\easy job to go, but I don't like the job so not sure if that counts as good.

Why do you have a good job? making you think twice about going.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Well I'm about to leave a secure\easy job to go, but I don't like the job so not sure if that counts as good.

I'd rather work a bad job over there than a good job over here the quality of life in Oz is brilliant you can actually enjoy the outside without having to spend a fortune on clothing to prevent hypothermia. It'd be a great place to raise kids but my other half is planted over here and tied to the monster in law :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I'm earning about 45-50k a year which is a good wage for Ireland in this Climate, I know the money in Aus is better than Ireland but the cost of living balances it out, I'm just sick of the routine here,i'm bored.I never really did any traveling when I was younger,I was there for a holiday in may and I loved it,melbourne is a fantastic city, im 34 ,no kids or a mortage so theres nothing really holding me back, I have family over there also, my plan is to go over within 9 to 12 months on the migration visa with at least 7500 euro savings,I just want to get some feed back around here from people that did or are comtemplating the move with circumstances similar to mine

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Do you have a skilled visa sorted? If so then I can see no reason why you wouldn't come over, even for 9 months...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

rightyabe wrote: »
    Do you have a skilled visa sorted? If so then I can see no reason why you wouldn't come over, even for 9 months...

Not yet, this isgoing to cost me between 2k and 5k depending on how much I leave in the agents hands,how long does this take to get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

If you are not in any rush, do it all yourself (if you believe you are qualified)
    To be honest, skills assessment is the hardest part of the visa,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Yes, I left a job in Ireland that I quite liked and was very well paid to come here. My gf is the same.
    We have zero regrets and absolutely love life here.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Yes, I left a job in Ireland that I quite liked and was very well paid to come here. My gf is the same.
    We have zero regrets and absolutely love life here.
    I'm leaving ireland in february with my wife and baby and giving up a well paid job thats a handy number also.

Whats the worst that can happen? we don't like it so we come back home.

I don't want to look back in years to come and regret not going.

He who dares wins Rodney!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

bigbadcon wrote: »
    I'm leaving ireland in february with my wife and baby and giving up a well paid job thats a handy number also.

Whats the worst that can happen? we don't like it so we come back home.

I don't want to look back in years to come and regret not going.

He who dares wins Rodney!

This time next year, we'll be millionaires ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I did it two years back. I like it here, but its way too expensive, and I'm on a 457 so that makes it a bit worse (especially with the LAFHA going).

Looking to move home early next year hopefully - the weather and food is great here, but its not home. Worst that can happen is that you give up a job and spend years trying to get back on your feet. If you've no family or mortgage though it makes the decision a lot easier for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

This time next year, we'll be millionaires ;)

Lubbly jubbly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Because thats exactly what im contemplating doing

yes. But to migrate with my partner, who is australin and couldn't bear to leave her mammy, not for any other reason. I miss sitting on the kerb outside Kehoes with a pint of the good stuff :( That said, absolutely no regrets! Make sure you're doing it for the right reasons, and you'll have no regrets either.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

I was in a stable job but I felt like a change so did a bit of travelling and came here for a change of scenery/lifestyle.

I know Ireland is in a bad way, and there are a lot of people who have no option but to emigrate these days... but your situation is still more common than you might think OP. A lot of the Irish people I know here left stable jobs back at home because they wanted a change/to do some travelling. I guess a lot of people hear so many great things about Australia they want to try it out for themselves while they're still young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I left a regular earner job in Ireland but I was really sick of it. However they said if Aus didn't work out they fit me back in as soon as possible because it costs them a lot more training in someone new from scratch. Talk to your current employer, they might be open to allowing a career break.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

I'm leaving in under 3 weeks on a 176 PR visa, and I'm excited and nervous about everything and all the jobs still left to do.
    Both myself and my wife have stable, well paid jobs but decided to give it a go and have an adventure and new experiences.

We have a mortgage but no kids but feel like life is passing us by at the moment. It's a cliché but you do only get one go at life, we felt there was no point looking back and having regrets about not at least trying somewhere different out.

Also think that our skills could easily get us both reemployed if we needed to come back or move to another country if Australia doesn't suit or fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I know a guy that took a leave of absence from the army to go to Australia, I think he initially went for a year. Anyway, while he was there he decided to leave the army, so he got discharged and moved to Oz full time. I think he is a policeman there now, last I heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What state did he move to I know I few irish coppers over in Victoria

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

My Sister in law left a long term position as a staff nurse to go down under

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I was mad for going & a few years back had money in the bank (5k or so unexpected taxback ) & just starting a new job. I asked my new boss if I could push back the start date by 2 months ( he said ok) &I went to Oz to see what I was missing.

I really expected to love it & I really wanted to , but tbh even with all the travel & sights & 40'C sun & not being able to sit outside Cos of the heat it wasn't really . France is equally sunny & more soectacular.
    Maybe if you'd family over there it would be different ; but I was very disappointed & decided for me it wasn't somewhere I'd want to spend a few years, or the rest of my days in.

I'd lived abroad before ( Europe) and lived & shared with Kiwis and Ozzies in London but the country was totally different, and the " culture" and outlook of the people was for me, hard to accept that I'd have to accept forever.

Y; it's sunny & an outdoors life; if you can take the heat ; but if you're working you'll be commuting & indoors typically for much of mon-fri.

Beaches are great If you don't mind swimming in a net the size of a swiMing pool for 4 months of the year for fear of sharks/ killer jellyfish/salt water crocs etc. You'll love the beaches but being outside in exposed HOT is hard to take all day if you re Irish! you'll find yourself sheltering in nice air-conditioning; or in a bar!

I found outside of the cities, beaches and small towns a bare, barren empty country .

You can go to wilderness & do trips in the " wild" but the distances are far & for a managed experience ( it's big out there!) you'll be paying the tourist prices.

I would definitely go ; because you only regret the things you never did. I really enjoyed what I did and saw and had a real adventure holiday full if all the stuff you read about; but this wouldn't be what you be doing if you lived there ; and the hours of travel to get anywhere makes " doing it at weekends " not really viable ; 18 hour drives each way etc.

But. I would go. I would be looking to hedge my bets & see if I could take a career break & come back if I needed to... Just in case.

And I spent the whole 5k.... It's not a cheep place & I was backpacking :0

Summary; sure you're young; you only will regret it if Yiu don't try it; especially with family there. Follow your dreams. But try to hedge your bets!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Zambia wrote: »
    What state did he move to I know I few irish coppers over in Victoria

I don't know what state he moved to. I wonder how many Irish have joined the police force in Oz in last ten years or so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

As i said above i'm off in a few weeks, never went on the whv and I am 32 so I'm to old:( now for it. But girlfriend got offered job in Sydney and i am tagging along on her visa:)

no problems leaving this job it fills one of the three things of my idea of a great job 1. Good money, 2. real interest in your area of work 3. Easy

So its number 3 is all I have which makes the job bearable.

Never lived in a place where you get temperatures in the high 30's, but I think I'll be okay as I lived in Singapore for a while and it was 30c everyday and humid and loved it.
    Fu*kme i hate the cold:D shivering after coming out of the shower trying to plug all the drafts in my flat, running the heating all winter and it going straight out the window, jumping out of bed to put on my clothes before i freeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

If you have no kids/mortgage I'd go for it, If you have your head screwed on right and you land a decent job the grass it definitely greener that's for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If you dont have family or a mortgage it makes things easier and cheaper. How old are you? What do you want out of life over the next 5 years? Do you want to marry and have family? What do you want to do in Oz - work hard and make cash or travel around and chill? If it is the latter would you not try to take a few months off? I agree with a previous poster. When you are working having scorching weather can be a pain in the ass, sweating and uncomfortable. If you are in an office with aircon it is not so bad. If you are working outside it depends on whether you can handle the heat. Some lads hate the cold and wet in Ireland but roofing on a house in 30c heat would kill me. Is it a case that you havent travelled/taken a year out before and are just sick of your routine. Taking a couple of months out to travel may be what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

Loved my job, pay was good but not great given that the **** was only just hitting the fan, loved the work and the people were great, security was pretty good, I'd still have it if I went back tomorrow.

Followed a girl though. We've been together almost five years now and here since October 2009. Moving into our own house Monday week and picking up two dogs the Monday after... and I'm proposing during our first night.

Was it worth leaving the job?

I'd say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Popinjay wrote: »
    Loved my job, pay was good but not great given that the **** was only just hitting the fan, loved the work and the people were great, security was pretty good, I'd still have it if I went back tomorrow.

Followed a girl though. We've been together almost five years now and here since October 2009. Moving into our own house Monday week and picking up two dogs the Monday after... and I'm proposing during our first night.

I'd say so.

Maybe you should wait til Monday week!!
    Best of luck to you. Hope it goes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I'd say so.
    Mate where are you your location says Dublin?

Very touching story

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 265 ✭✭unclejunior

I'd say so.

Wow, your a real Casanova.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Not Auz but I currently have a few hard decisions to make on whether to go to NZ or not after my gf!! We're only together 4 months and she had the majority of her plans made to head off with some friends when we got together!
    She's currently only on the leg from Singapore to Christchurch and I'm really struggling to imagine the next year without her!
    I work as an aircraft mechanic on contracts around Europe, so although it's not a full time job it has very good pay and I'm hardly ever without work! If I went over I'd have to try get work in Christchurch airport where she is or do something else completely, which I'm not sure what my options would be as I don't have bar or hotel or building experience, the old reliables!
    I have a few decisions to make!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Have you looked on Seek.co.nz or tradme.co.nz for work in your sector? Because of the size and geography of teh country there is a fair bit of work for aircraft engineers/mechanics. There's also the NZ air force who would be looking for people too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Have you looked on Seek.co.nz or tradme.co.nz for work in your sector? Because of the size and geography of teh country there is a fair bit of work for aircraft engineers/mechanics. There's also the NZ air force who would be looking for people too.

Thanks for the links! My problem is if i'm going to follow her out there for the year I want to try and find work in Christchurch where she already has a job! Not much point in me going if I was to be based somewhere else!
    I'll certainly check it out though and see what my options are!
    Thanks again!

Advertisement