Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hasanyone here left a good job in Ireland to go to Aus

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

alan1990 wrote: »
    Thanks for the links! My problem is if i'm going to follow her out there for the year I want to try and find work in Christchurch where she already has a job! Not much point in me going if I was to be based somewhere else!
    I'll certainly check it out though and see what my options are!
    Thanks again!

Air New Zealand have a base in Chch as far as I know. A friend of mine worked there for them. Not in a hands on mechanic way but he is an engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

Zambia wrote: »
    Mate where are you your location says Dublin?

Very touching story

Thought I'd changed that years ago... oh well. In Gordon Park (Northside Brisbane) at the minute, moving up to Petrie next week.

Mostly for block size and proximity to lakes/parks/rivers etc, both for the dogs and for kayaking.

The only problem will be that I'm working on the Southside so travelling to work will be a bit of a pain. Start at 7:30 though so hopefully I'll be out before the worst traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Because thats exactly what im contemplating doing

My fiancée and I both left reasonably well paid jobs to move to New Zealand. Combined income was over 80k EUR and job security was reasonably good.

Never looked back and both earning more over here too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

Left a fairly good job to go travelling just over a year ago. Didnt care, it was the best decision I ever made. Had the time of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

Popinjay wrote: »
    Loved my job, pay was good but not great given that the **** was only just hitting the fan, loved the work and the people were great, security was pretty good, I'd still have it if I went back tomorrow.

Followed a girl though. We've been together almost five years now and here since October 2009. Moving into our own house Monday week and picking up two dogs the Monday after... and I'm proposing during our first night.

Was it worth leaving the job?

I'd say so.

Update: She said yes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

Popinjay wrote: »
    Update: She said yes :D
    well done! best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bogwarryor

Same here I left the good job in Ireland for travelling & Oz, why not a change of scenery is good...Ireland's not going anywhere & the recession won't last forever. Sure ya might as well live while ya can you'll be dead long enough!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Am leaving a great job with pretty great money to go travelling & Oz in april.
    My family all think im mad but hey fck it... Its what i wanna do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Left my job to take a gamble and look for a 457 when I get there after doing some travelling first. Thought I'd have something fairly solid once I got there, until that fell through! So have only a years experience and only one other contact for a job. Also don't have a huge amount of cash and will really need something within a month before I'd have to consider regional work. I'd regret not trying it though, so we'll see.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm planning on going to Melbourne in March, and will be giving up a good IT job on decent money. I've a decent degree and 5+ years exp, so i'm hopeful that i'd get a job over there easily enough (though we'll see how that goes). Am planning on doing my ITIL before i go though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement