Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any history teachers here?

• 30-08-2012 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

It is my first time to teach senior history this year and I have 5th years. I was just wondering what other peoples techniques are in the classroom i.e do you get them to take notes, just read from book etc. in my junior class I usually just get them to take notes and then question them on these as the course isn't as content laden as senior history but I'm not sure on what way to approach my 5th year class now. Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭pm123

I would read the book with them and highlight important lines (which turns out to be a lot of lines!) then give them my own chapter summary notes at the end of each chapter with relevant exam questions at the end of the handout. Every night having gone through part of each chapter, they should go home and learn everything we've done. Then the next day I'd test them all on the stuff they've learned the night before. At the end of each chapter they should do all the exam questions. It's the only way I'm afraid! I'd give them regular class tests and assignments to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I haven't had LC History in a few years, but I used to spend the first couple of classes teaching them study skills, how to take notes, how to cut information down to the absolute basics, etc. and then let them at it themselves.

They would then spend a class or two in groups evaluating each other's notes and learning from each other's different approaches and learning styles.

The only 'notes' I would give them was a list of the various topics on the syllabus so they could see the progress we were making.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭faughs

I tend to make up my own notes between a mixture of the textbook and revision books. I find this works a lot better with the kids than trawling through the textbook as they are quite wordy. I introduce the topic using a PowerPoint presentation with little info but plenty of pictures and key words. I then go through my notes with the kids. I also concentrate on doing document questions and short answers. I decided last year to not concnetrate on essay writng with my 5th years until April and it seemed to work as they had a great grasp of the topics before we needed to worry about essay writing techniques. I am also an English teacher so that helps in terms of essays so I feel I do not need to spend as long on that side of things. It really is what ever style you feel most comfortable with. I often find myself falling in to the trap of trying to tell the kids everything which usually leads to going off topic. That is why I try to stick to my Powerpoint and notes.. Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭doc_17

Don't have them taking down notes endlessly! I don teach it but that'd be my advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fade out

pm123 wrote: »
    At the end of each chapter they should do all the exam questions. It's the only way I'm afraid! I'd give them regular class tests and assignments to do.
    Would you go through ordinary and higher exam questions seeing as the higher are just essays really?
    faughs wrote: »
    I decided last year to not concnetrate on essay writng with my 5th years until April and it seemed to work as they had a great grasp of the topics before we needed to worry about essay writing techniques. I am also an English teacher so that helps in terms of essays so I feel I do not need to spend as long on that side of things.

I have actually given them an essay already. I have never marked an history essay before so I don't know what to expect. I have stared giving them notes to stick into hardbacks then we read through and discuss these!

• Advertisement
Advertisement