Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4,000 new citizens, a day to celebrate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

Skyjock wrote: »
    By your own blinkered and myopic view.:rolleyes:

anyway...i will go back to my own silent protest....which involves, not shopping in outlets where the profit is exported from MY country and 10 percent of it goes to Western Union on the way out....hey there may even be the odd swear at large non national lady drivers performing yet another "kingstown Kurve"....but then again I do that to most idiots on the road.

So you'd advocate a form of economic protectionism? That's whole other debate but EP would not work well in Ireland for a host of reasons.

Racist...if you wish....and froth away to your hearts desire at the thought....but I will NEVER agree to this wholesale open door policy.

We don't have an open door policy. That would require us to let everyone in which we don't. Stop being disingenuous.

"rivers of blood" - they did occur in the uk...they did occur in paris.

Blaming the riots on the foreigners? Really. There was an awful lot of white folks ripping Britain to pieces at the time. There's a smashing article in the Economist about how immigrants benefit the UK and London in particular.

http://www.economist.com/node/21557524

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Delightfully Pessimistic

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Bit of ASS umption there Andy.

No, it's a fact of national income accounting.

National income is:

consumption + investment + Government spending + (exports - imports) + Net factor income from abroad + Net unilateral transfers.

Net factor income from abroad is what I'm referring to here. Irish companies abroad send money home; this adds to Irish NFIA. Foreign companies in Ireland send money away from Ireland; this takes away from NFIA. The GNP statistic you will have heard of refers to GDP after it has been corrected for NFIA, and Irish GNP is always less than GDP, because of the amount of foreign firms which send their profits home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Skyjock

Bambi wrote: »
    youse scruffy PC types could do with a good shower I suppose :p

Sweet !:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

cristoir wrote: »
    So you'd advocate a form of economic protectionism? That's whole other debate but EP would not work well in Ireland for a host of reasons

We don't have an open door policy. That would require us to let everyone in which we don't. Stop being disingenuous

Blaming the riots on the foreigners? Really. There was an awful lot of white folks ripping Britain to pieces at the time. There's a smashing article in the Economist about how immigrants benefit the UK and London in particular.

http://www.economist.com/node/21557524

Maybe,Have you ever stopped off in Croydon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

You dont need to see the wind to know that its there....you just see the effect of it !

this is my favorite sentence I have read in a while
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

anyway...i will go back to my own silent protest....which involves, not shopping in outlets where the profit is exported from MY country .

I didn't know we had a king. I thought we were an autonomous collective.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Bambi wrote: »

trim me a funny moustache and stick me in a panzer on the russian steppes so :pac:

You do know what happened the last time a lad with a funny shaped moustache tried that yeah?

Maybe,Have you ever stopped off in Croydon?

Are you going to address any of my points?

No I have not ever been in Croyden. I have been in parts of East London where I saw plenty of "Proper British" folks causing hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

I disagree with OP.
    The news was a contradiction this evening.

Main Headline - Cuts for the HSE
    Target express workers lose their jobs.
    Meanwhile - 4,000 NEW CITIZENS??!!!!

Something wrong there !

It's an absolute joke of a country! Whatever about this "multi cultural" point etc etc that was alright when the government could afford to cater for extra. The country is on it's hands and knee's with unemployment ! Thousands of Irish people like my mother, who worked all their lives and contributed to the country only to be at home, applying and applying to jobs only to be told she's too experienced, plus she's not entitled to the dole!!!! Meanwhile, we take in 4,000 citizens when the government can't take care of it's own????
    This should of stopped when we went into recession!

IMO

• Advertisement

andrew wrote: »
    No, it's a fact of national income accounting.

National income is:

consumption + investment + Government spending + (exports - imports) + Net factor income from abroad + Net unilateral transfers.

Net factor income from abroad is what I'm referring to here. Irish companies abroad send money home; this adds to Irish NFIA. Foreign companies in Ireland send money away from Ireland; this takes away from NFIA. The GNP statistic you will have heard of refers to GDP after it has been corrected for NFIA, and Irish GNP is always less than GDP, because of the amount of foreign firms which send their profits home.

No Andy...there is a tad extra ASS umption again.

How the hell do you know how...what ..and where...or what lengths I go to to ensure that my earned schekels stay as much as possible in the local economy...thanks for the lesson anyway...I am sure it was of help to the newly affirmed 4000. Read the post again....I my not be able to stop it leaving Ireland...but I can make bloody sure of where it WONT go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

These threads always descend into the same back and forth, to and fro "that's racist, you can't generalize an entire race, cultural enrichment, ignorant bigot" versus ...

Links to various negative immigration/racial, asylum seeker articles, reports and arguments for preserving skin colours against a worldwide homogeneous race.

Call a spade a spade and admit (like myself) you don't like being swamped by blacks, muslims etc etc. OR ... that you look down on those who don't embrace the one world, one race utopia ideal.

You're either one or the other. Just feckin' choose already and stop arguing about it. :mad:

CatEyed92 wrote: »
    I disagree with OP.

Something wrong there !

It's an absolute joke of a country! Whatever about this "multi cultural" point etc etc that was alright when the government could afford to cater for extra. The country is on it's hands and knee's with unemployment ! Thousands of Irish people like my mother, who worked all their lives and contributed to the country only to be at home, applying and applying to jobs only to be told she's too experienced, plus she's not entitled to the dole!!!! Meanwhile, we take in 4,000 citizens when the government can't take care of it's own????

IMO

What point are you trying to make? That you mother can't get a job because of new citizens?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

How the hell do you know how...what ..and where...or what lengths I go to to ensure that my earned schekels stay as much as possible in the local economy...thanks for the lesson anyway...I am sure it was of help to the newly affirmed 4000. Read the post again....I my not be able to stop it leaving Ireland...but I can make bloody sure of where it WONT go.

If you've managed to engage in full import substitution, I'm seriously impressed. I presume you don't own the computer you're typing this on then, cos there's no way it was made by an Irish company.

MaxSteele wrote: »
    These threads always descend into the same back and forth, to and fro "that's racist, you can't generalize an entire race, cultural enrichment, ignorant bigot" versus ...

Links to various negative immigration/racial, asylum seeker articles, reports and arguments for preserving skin colours against a worldwide homogeneous race.

Call a spade a spade and admit (like myself) you don't like being swamped by blacks, muslims etc etc. OR ... that you look down on those who don't embrace the one world, one race utopia ideal.

You're either one or the other. Just feckin' choose already and stop arguing about it. :mad:

Second that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Spreading the debt ;)

What point are you trying to make? That you mother can't get a job because of new citizens?

No? Lol sorry. I was ranting >.<

By that example, I meant, the government can't look after it's own? Why new citizens?

karma_ wrote: »
    You do know what happened the last time a lad with a funny shaped moustache tried that yeah?

Yep....those he missed got to do it to the Palestinian's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

every single person who read this, even if they agree with you, wretched in their mouths to see you use that ASS-umption bit once, let alone twice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I`ve started so I will finish.How many Nigerians to date are now Irish Citizens?

There were 19,780 Nigerians living in 2011 - no idea how many are now citizens

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

By that example, I meant, the government can't look after it's own? Why new citizens?

Why are you assuming the new citizens need to be looked after by the government?. Most have employment and pay there own way. Maybe it's the right-wing part of me here but the government does not need to "look after" it's citizens in fact far from it. As much as possible the government should get off people back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

If the new citizens have jobs then the government isn't looking after them they are paying tax to the government.

If you think it is wrong that Irish people are unemployed while they have jobs should it be the case that someone who has been here working for several years be fired and deported because there is an employment crisis?

Does anyone know what the criteria were for those that gained citizenship?

There were 19,780 Nigerians living in 2011 - no idea how many are now citizens

WOW! Whats the capacity of the largest plane out of Dublin and how mant will be needed?Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

If you've managed to engage in full import substitution, I'm seriously impressed. I presume you don't own the computer you're typing this on then, cos there's no way it was made by an Irish company.
    Yup and he doesnt use electricity generated by imported gas, he doesnt use a car burning arab islamic petrol, doesnt eat "fresh" veg in winter etc etc.
    But then again "where ignorance is bliss tis a folly to be wise".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

These people are our own now.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

These people are our own now.

Never!

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Yup and he doesnt use electricity generated by imported gas, he doesnt use a car burning arab islamic petrol, doesnt eat "fresh" veg in winter etc etc.

Ah sure let's kick out the foreigners and FDI, introduce tariffs and go back to the land!

SocSocPol wrote: »

Carry on my friend...carry on.

every single person who read this, even if they agree with you, wretched in their mouths to see you use that ASS-umption bit once, let alone twice...

Want to give me a reason for a hat trick?;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Never!

Oh I'm sorry but it's already happened.

They're Irish now.

Irish. Irish. Irish.

Diddly-eye diddly-dee etc.

:pac:

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Oh I'm sorry but it's already happened.

They're Irish now.

Irish. Irish. Irish.

Diddly-eye diddly-dee etc.

:pac:

AAAGGHHH:eek: Help!

Never!

Their passports beg to differ, they have swore an oath to Ireland. This is good enough for me and should be for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

And I will fast forward you to 87 !.

(another bleeding heart)
    Glad to be of service
    maybe....but dont let that get in the way of the truth
    You dont need to see the wind to know that its there....you just see the effect of it !
    you are as mixed up as your handle states
    Bit of ASS umption there Andy.

Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭GOODME

What I heard is if they are on the dole they don't get it unless they have contributed to the country. they must submit P60s, if self employed necessary docs too etc. lived here for not less than 5 years legally.

also heard no criminal offence, even some with driving offences have been refused.

They pay €950 per person to get citizenship after approval, that is after paying nearly €200 which is not refundable when submitting application.

give reasons for why are they taking government money if they are. many work few hours doing cleaning jobs as there are no suitable jobs for their qualifications available to some of them, so they do contribute. others are also in government jobs where cuts are happening but they her permanent.

Many are studying esp going for 2nd degrees, I mean Master + PHD.

That is all I know, i guess many know more.

The government know what they r doing. inis website has more info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I just don't recognise Tallaght at all these days...

0.jpg

• Advertisement

Their passports beg to differ, they have swore an oath to Ireland. This is good enough for me and should be for anyone.

Bull! It takes more than a few words and Flag Kissing to become Irish. They have nothing in common with me,I dont like any aspect of their lives etc(very small minded) Who cares,I dont like the situation with all this mult iculture BS,Irish and Proud,No qualms about it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

They have nothing in common with me,I dont like any aspect of their lives etc(very small minded)

It's true, they probably aren't on the dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Bull! It takes more than a few words and Flag Kissing to become Irish. They have nothing in common with me,I dont like any aspect of their lives etc(very small minded) Who cares,I dont like the situation with all this mult iculture BS,Irish and Proud,No qualms about it .

What does it take?

Not really. In fact for most of us it just involves having the fortune of being born here. These 4,000 had to actually earn it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I disagree with OP.

Something wrong there !

IMO

It may have occurred to you already (maybe not!) that these 'new' citizens are already living here, many for years and years, and are perfectly entitled to take out citizenship.

We didn't import 4000 "new citizens" yesterday.

• Advertisement

If you're so proud of being Irish, why are you discriminating against your fellow Irish citizens?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

conorhal wrote: »
    I've really tired of this 'culturally enriched' meme that the left perpetrate, many of whom are the very same people that that rather ironically sneer at any and every assertion of indigenous Irish culture.

I've also yet to experience this 'cultural enrichment', or have anybody explain exactly how my life has been 'enhanced’ by it.
    Perhaps I have failed to fully appreciate the cultural value of my Eastern European neighbors all night vodka parties and casual knife crime (neighbor stabbed to death a few years ago at a party). Nor does my trip into work feel 'enhanced' by the burka brigade on the bus with their kids and male 'chaperone', in fact I find it somewhat disquieting to have to sit in proximity to somebody wearing a mask and seated next to her bouncer. Nor does half of Nigeria swaggering around the Square where I shop dressed as identikit gangstas in their trackies and chains seem very 'culturally enhancing' either, and I've yet to figure out how the default cultural expression of most Africans in the area appears to be the culture of South Central Los Angeles to which (as far as I can gather anyway) they have no connection.

I get the distinct feeling that those who bang on about 'cultural vibrancy' tend to be the kind of people that turn up at the annual DunLaoghaire 'Festival of Cultures' to eat a samosa, watch some Thai's dance and buy a colorful hat before fecking off back home to Dublin 4, because they sure as hell don't live in the pretty alienating world of vibrant multicultural Dublin that I do.

If I could pay you millions for this post, I would.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    It may have occurred to you already (maybe not!) that these 'new' citizens are already living here, many for years and years, and are perfectly entitled to take out citizenship.

We didn't import 4000 "new citizens" yesterday.

....... :D True

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jimmi10

I think the government should be looking after it's current citizens many whom are unemployed (myself included) before granting foreigners citizenship.

Once unemployment has being greatly reduced among Irish people, then the matter of granting citizenship to non-Irish nationals can be addressed.

Granting citizenships to foreigners is a luxury this country cannot afford at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Not really. In fact for most of us it just involves having the fortune of being born here. These 4,000 had to actually earn it.

I don't see how coming here, staying for years (either taking a job an Irish person could have had, or living off tax payers money) and not integrating counts as earning citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭GOODME

srsly78 wrote: »
    I just don't recognise Tallaght at all these days...

0.jpg

what do you mean by this photo that was not taken in Tallaght???????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Looking at your posts and teasing out your opinions, I can safely say I have nothing in common with you. I don't like any aspect of your life. Ergo, you are not Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

No that depends on the quantity and quality of the immigrants
    and the immigration control regime.

for example
    500,000 Nomadic illiterate peasants with an average IQ of 75 would not benefit the economy
    Yes it would, abundant cheap labour!

Or sit on the scratcher. :rolleyes:

If you're so proud of being Irish, why are you discriminating against your fellow Irish citizens?

Not in My eyes.A little piece of paper dont make you anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

GOODME wrote: »
    What I heard is if they are on the dole they don't get it unless they have contributed to the country. they must submit P60s, if self employed necessary docs too etc. lived here for not less than 5 years legally.

also heard no criminal offence, even some with driving offences have been refused.

They pay €950 per person to get citizenship after approval, that is after paying nearly €200 which is not refundable when submitting application.

give reasons for why are they taking government money if they are. many work few hours doing cleaning jobs as there are no suitable jobs for their qualifications available to some of them, so they do contribute. others are also in government jobs where cuts are happening but they her permanent.

Many are studying esp going for 2nd degrees, I mean Master + PHD.

That is all I know, i guess many know more.

The government know what they r doing. inis website has more info

You were doing so well until then.....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement