Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cookery Book from 1970's

Options
  • 30-08-2012 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I was wondering if anyone could help me, I am looking for an old cookery book which a lot of people would have had in Ireland in the 1970's and 1980's. I am not sure when it was published, it was large and hardback, it had a sleeve cover which had picture of food dishes all over it. When you removed the sleeve, it had a purple hardback. Does anyone recall this? What was it called? It had great meringue and brownie receipes!

Any bits of info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Was it the Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook? I'm sure we have it at home. 3 recipes per page, all alongside on another?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Soky123

I really cant remember the name...I just remember the feel of the purple hardback...it was rough...kind of woolly!Does your have this? Thanks for replying:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sounds familiar alright. I remember a cook book with vile looking pictures on the front and a purple or dark blue hardback, and was sort of like painting canvas texture. The brownies were probably the first thing I baked by myself as a kid.

I will get the name tonight & post tomorrow, if I find it.

Thanks Rubadub, very much appreciated! Yes I remember cooking the brownies too- they looked much better in the pictures though!

The one Faith mentions is still on sale
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hamlyn-Colour-Cook-Book-Cookbook/dp/0600343340

41unsRwMMNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I can't remember if its the one I am thinking of.

• Advertisement

Yep, I'm certain it's the same book. It's in my parents house, so I can't take a picture of it. Is there a certain recipe you're looking for?

I'm not too sure if this is it....would u be able to post a pic of the brownie recipe?

I should be over in the house this afternoon for a minute, so I'll try to remember to take a picture then.

Thank you Faith, that is very kind of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I have it, Im going through it here, but no brownie recipe? Maybe its called something else.

Edit - found it!

Im not sure how to upload a pic here - I can type the recipe in for you?

• Advertisement

That would be great, but only if it isnt too much trouble. Is it the Hamlyn book that Faith mentioned? Does have this weird hardback cover?!

Yes, its the same book, the copy I have has no sleeve at all, only the weird purple hardback but its so faded that its grey in parts - the binding is coming apart too!!!

Just as an aside, Ive made these brownies and they are good but the best brownies Ive ever made - the ones people accuse me of putting cocaine into because they are so addictive - are the ones from the Green & Blacks Chocolate Recipes book - amazing!!!!!

Ill get typing - back in a bit....

Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook Chocolate Brownies Recipe:

You will need:
    4 oz. self raising flour
    1/4 level teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 oz. cocoa
    4 oz. butter
    4 oz. soft brown sugar
    2 eggs, blended
    1 tablespoon milk

For the icing:
    1 1/2 oz. butter
    1 oz. cocoa, sieved
    3 tablespoons evaporated milk
    4 oz. icing sugar sieved

Preparation time: 15 minutes

Cooking time: 35 minutes

Oven setting: 375 F, Gas Mark 5

Grease an oblong tin about 11 by 7 inches, 1 inch deep. Sieve together flour, salt and cocoa. In another bowl beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add eggs a little at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold sieved ingredients into mixture with milk. Mix well. Turn into prepared tin.

Bake in a moderately hot oven for about 35 minutes until centre of sponge springs back when lightly pressed. Allow to cool in tin.

Melt butter for icing. Add cocoa. Cook over low heat for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add evaporated milk ad icing sugar. Mix in thoroughly. Spread over cake in tin and leave to set, then cut cake into 15 squares.

Quick Tip:
    Cocoa gives a strong chocolate flavour. It is essential to cook it for all recipes and to add sweetening. Chocolate powder is already sweetened and does not require cooking in recipes, the resulting flavour is less chocolatey.

Thank you so much! U have made my husband's day. He is American but lived in Dublin from the age of 1-13 and his mum had this book and made this receipe. He is always taking about it...when they moved back to the States it was lost. It's his 40th Bday next week and I thought it would be great if I could locate the receipe and make them for him! Again, thank you so much for taking the time to do this, I really really appreciate it.

Aw, thats a lovely story! You better get practicing ;)

Dont forget butter in those days (and milk) will have been full fat!!

Think I have figured out how to add pics:

Edited to add - oh, I thought they would display in the post. Sorry, best I can manage!

Great I will get my mum in law to have a look....but I have a great feeling this is it! You are a star!

Tell her the book is just faded from being exposed to sunlight on a shelf in a kitchen for decades!

Yep, that's the one we have as well. We also don't have the dust cover for it.

Brilliant, thats the one I had too, I remember those other pages beside it now too. Made the flapjacks too. I used to get so hungry looking at the pictures of the brownies while waiting for them to bake.

375F is 190C

• Advertisement

Ok will let you know what she says, it's a great thing about Ireland how we all had the same stuff, I miss that! Thanks to you all for the suggestions etc...

Well if anyone else needs a recipe from it let me know!

Soky123 - you will have to let us know how they turn out.

Great news it's the book!! So I will give it a go and see how our tastes have changed over 30 years!

I really hope they are just as nice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

A bit off topic but did anyone else have a copy of "All in the Cooking" in their home when they were younger?

I think my mother got it when she was in secondary school and kept it like THE bible of cooking since then.
    Its a lovely book actually.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

GastroBoy wrote: »
    A bit off topic but did anyone else have a copy of "All in the Cooking" in their home when they were younger?

There have been whole threads about that book. It's out of print and a lot of people - me included - would love a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

There have been whole threads about that book. It's out of print and a lot of people - me included - would love a copy.

I see. The one in my house is a bit rough around the edges by this stage but lovely to flick through the odd time.
    Actually a lot the recipes in it are coming back into mainstream cooking now, offal etc..

It's out of print and a lot of people - me included - would love a copy.
    If you search www.borrowbooks.ie it shows lots of librarys around the country, you can pay 50cent or so and get it sent to your local library to pick it up.

borrowbooks can be pretty bad though, you can have millions of hits and have to trawl through.

2 showing in dublin here, but not for loan, reference only.

http://libcat.dublincity.ie/02_Catalogue/02_005_TitleInformation.aspx?searchTerm=all+in+the+cooking+mhuire&searchTerm2=&searchTerm3=&searchTerm4=&searchType=99&Page=1&media=&branch=&authority=&language=&junior=&rcn=EX00027121&fr=tl

Advertisement