Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electronic Engineering

• 30-08-2012 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28

Hi

Im thinking of starting the level 8 Degree in Electronic Eng (TA221) at ITT and im wondering is there anyone on here that is doing or has graduated from this course that can answer a few questions:

If I can't complete the full 5 Years would I still leave with a qualification?
    Or in other words do you gain the level 7 degree in electronic eng after 4 years?

Whats the workload like for this course?

What do you make of the quality of lectures/facilities there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

The 5 years is only for the Masters. It's only two years to get the Certificate. Obviously, the more you do, the better your employment chances afterwards but you get something after two years.

They are also changing the course to four years.

First year was 24 hours per week, about 10 were practical/computer classes. The rest were lectures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Damienmac

Nice one, thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 conlcn

Hi ,
    I've just completed 3rd year with my ordinary degree. At the minute the Bachelors Degree (Honours) is a 5 year degree. The masters is another year or so on top of the 5 years. Its two years for the Certificate , a year for the Ordinary cert and two years for the Honours.

When I started in 2009 their was two different types of courses, one was the ladder system which meant you got your cert after two years, ordinary degree after one etc. The other was called abinito, this course tied you into doing three years, and you didn't get your Certificate after two years.

I was doing about 25 hours in first year, 30 hours in second and third year. Although you were doing another 10 hours or so just to keep on top of CA's.

Most of the lectures are really good and understand the material their teaching. The equipment in the labs works well, i would recommend a good laptop or netbook. The head of department and lab technicians are really helpful.

When i left school i had ordinary level maths, managed to get a C in it or somethings similar. The maths lectures got me up to getting A's and B's in my exams, so i would worry if their any problem with maths.

If you've any other questions i'd be happy to answer them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Damienmac

Hi conlcn,

Thats very encouraging, especially that the math is taught well. I've heard that the math in electronic eng can be quite tough. I did ordinary maths for LC too. I reckon with a bit of effort i'll get myself up to speed with it.
    I accepted the course offer so i'll find out soon enough!

Did you go on to do the honours degree? That would be the plan for me but 5 years is a long time, its good to know i can leave with an ordinary degree after the 3 years. What's the jobs market like for electronics graduates?

Thanks for the help.

hi Damienmac,

I'm waiting on one result at the minute that will decide if I go on this year to do my honours degree. With a bit of luck i'll be heading on to do it in a few weeks time!

I'd recommend that you do the 5 years because most of the 5th years i got to know walked into jobs after the exams!

Ciaran

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

conlcn wrote: »
    hi Damienmac,

I'm waiting on one result at the minute that will decide if I go on this year to do my honours degree. With a bit of luck i'll be heading on to do it in a few weeks time!

I'd recommend that you do the 5 years because most of the 5th years i got to know walked into jobs after the exams!

Ciaran

Has your course not been cut down to 4 years? I'm in the same position as you, albeit i'm doing mech eng, just finished my ordinary degree in and our course was originally 5 years but got cut down to 4 last year due to engineers Ireland no longer accepting applicants for charter ship with an honors degree. Just find it a bit un fair if you guys have to through 5 years when we only have to do 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

It will be changed to four. It depends on the year you started. If you're starting now it'll be four. Last year I think is only four as well but any further back is still five.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    It will be changed to four. It depends on the year you started. If you're starting now it'll be four. Last year I think is only four as well but any further back is still five.

Yeah Im the last year doing the 5 year cycle i think. Its down to the way the restructured the course to have less hours. And i think its also down to what year the course gets accredited from /to.

It also may mean that the year i finish there'll be 4th and 5years graduating together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Engineers Ireland aren't dumb, if its just a level change from 8 to 9 I can't see them accepting it.

ted1 wrote: »
    Engineers Ireland aren't dumb, if its just a level change from 8 to 9 I can't see them accepting it.

What? All I was saying was that my level 8 course got cut from 5 years to 4 years and seen as I'm in the exact same college and year as the OP, Im doing Mech while he's doing Elec, I found it kind of unfair that his course didn't also get reduced in length.

• Advertisement

I did the 5 year course. 2 cert, 1 diploma and 2 degree.

by changing the course to a level 9 and keeping the same course E.I won't take any notice, each course is scrutinized.

It's a complete make over it needs. traditionally Elec Eng would have been a tougher course than Mech eng. so they extra year may be needed.

is the mech course just a 4 year degree or is it still in stages?

that could be the difference.

ted1 wrote: »
    I did the 5 year course. 2 cert, 1 diploma and 2 degree.

by changing the course to a level 9 and keeping the same course E.I won't take any notice, each course is scrutinized.

It's a complete make over it needs. traditionally Elec Eng would have been a tougher course than Mech eng. so they extra year may be needed.

is the mech course just a 4 year degree or is it still in stages?

that could be the difference.

Ye the Mech course is in stages. I did 2 years for the Higher Cert, 1 year for the ordinary degree and then I was supposed to do 2 more for the honors degree but it got cut to one. Reason being is that they're trying to implement a 5 year course after which you can become chartered as Engineers Ireland no longer allow level 8 or honors level Engineers to become chartered. It must be a level 9 as of this years graduates, people who sat their final exams last May.

On that topic, is charter-ship really a big deal? Is it worth forking out for a glorified add on year that is to become a taught masters? The taught masters will run from summer to summer.

Sarz91 wrote: »

Ye the Mech course is in stages. I did 2 years for the Higher Cert, 1 year for the ordinary degree and then I was supposed to do 2 more for the honors degree but it got cut to one. Reason being is that they're trying to implement a 5 year course after which you can become chartered as Engineers Ireland no longer allow level 8 or honors level Engineers to become chartered. It must be a level 9 as of this years graduates, people who sat their final exams last May.

On that topic, is charter-ship really a big deal? Is it worth forking out for a glorified add on year that is to become a taught masters? The taught masters will run from summer to summer.

Not really, E.I dropped the ball in the past few years and only really pushed civil engineers as chartered. I think they actually forgot that there was other streams of engineering.

I don't know any electronic engineers who have bothered getting chartered. as it offered no benefits.

I'm currently doing a part time masters in energy management and plan on getting chartered via the energy insitute in the U.K which would be a good relevant international chartership.

Advertisement