Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MVNO setup requirements

Options
  • 30-08-2012 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Stupid question, and not even sure if i am in the right place, but i will ask it anyway... I have seen a lot of these new MVNOs starting up, mostly on the O2 network, and it made me wonder... What is envolved in setting up an MVNO? Seems that most of these have "cheap" international calls, and it makes me think there might be some sort of VOIP in the back for this... Which made me wonder: if an MVNO was setup, that redirected calls to a VOIP network, could a simular one be done for 3G Data? or better yet, a mix of VOIP and GSM for your calls (make and recieve calls though your computer, send texts from a tablet, but all using an 08* number and still be able to use a mobile for it). So, how would one do this?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

lotas wrote: »
    Morning all.

Stupid question, and not even sure if i am in the right place, but i will ask it anyway... I have seen a lot of these new MVNOs starting up, mostly on the O2 network, and it made me wonder... What is envolved in setting up an MVNO? Seems that most of these have "cheap" international calls, and it makes me think there might be some sort of VOIP in the back for this... Which made me wonder: if an MVNO was setup, that redirected calls to a VOIP network, could a simular one be done for 3G Data? or better yet, a mix of VOIP and GSM for your calls (make and recieve calls though your computer, send texts from a tablet, but all using an 08* number and still be able to use a mobile for it). So, how would one do this?

They are definately using VoiP to terminate calls. Blueface are using a reseller of 3 here in Ireland.

The likes of Vodafone and Eircom are using VOIP to terminate calls abroad, otherwise it wouldn't be possible to terminate abroad, it would be too expensive.

I don't think your legally allowed by Comreg to use a mobile number on a landline for example unless its diverted.

There is a uk voip provider doing SIM cards which I think is what your thinking about:
    http://soho66.co.uk/87203/all/1/Mobile-VoIP.aspx

By the way, if you plan to sell communication products its the law to register with Comreg.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭lotas

Hmmm.... So, basically, its COMREGS fault we dont have Google Voice in Ireland? Why cant a mobile number be ported to a land line? And what about a VOIP line? Its not technically a land line, so could that work?

Advertisement