Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found a frog in my garden.

Options
  • 30-08-2012 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

I live in Dublin 15 and have just found a frog in my back garden. Judging by how fast and far he hopped while I tried to catch him, he seems in good health. I phoned a vet for advice and they said it was ok just to release him again. I have no idea where he could have come from. There are no ponds nearby and the canal is a good hop from where I am.
    I'm happy enough to leave him to his own devices in my garden but we have concrete walls running the length of all back gardens on my road and side gates blocking access back outside.
    Can anyone suggest what to do in the frog's best interest?

**frog released, but still interested in suggestions in case of a return visit**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

Frogs and toads really just go back to ponds to breed. They spend a lot of time hunting for flies and insects in wet grass. Anywhere on land that is damp a lot of the time is perfect. Some uncut grass and shade under shrubs is fine.
    You might as well leave it in your garden. If you take it to a pond it'll only hop out again after a while.
    If you want to take it back to a pond or a to a canal then it would probably be fine, just leave it in some long grass around the sides. If you take it then remember to allow air into the container.
    They like shallow water though, so a pond is better than a canal. Canals also have predators such as pike that might eat smaller ones.

Advertisement