Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MAC Foundation - Unhappy with colour

• 30-08-2012 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Basically bought a MAC foundation a couple of months back, still over half full i'd say. I was never really happy with the colour I was given and was disappointed as the one I had previous was gorgeous on my skin. The one I was given was supposed to sit better on dry skin as I had a lot of dry patches at the time, however I still find it to be blotchy some times. I find the colour very orangey for my skin. Has anyone else had this problem, did you bring it back?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I was given the wrong foundation (different one than I asked for), returned it the same day, unopened and with the receipt and had a hard time getting a refund - even though the girl who served me remembered me and acknowledged that she made a mistake when picking it off the shelf.

I very much doubt the will refund a half used product. They could always say that you cannot prove that you emptied out the mac foundation and filled the tube with something else. ( I know you haven't)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

I've stopped buying MAC makeup mainly because i find the people who work on mac are completely disinterested in what they do. I am very pale, NC 15 is too orange/dark on me, despite me being a warm skin tone. I have went into mac on grafton street numerous times in the hope they can match me up to a nice colour, but they take one look at me and say I'm a NW25. I am nowhere near that. I'm not even cool skinned.

I went to the MAC store on bloor st in toronto about a year ago, and found the lady to be exactly the same, NC30 in prolong wear, because that's apparently the most popular. :confused:

I bought the prolong wear this time last year in NC15, and it destroyed my skin. i completely broke out. I happened to mention it to a girl on the mac counter in dundrum and she was just like "oh you must be allergic to it, let me show you another one". All as mac care about is making sales. They have no interest in being helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

I like MAC lipstick and eyeshadows as any other beauty enthusiast. But I think their foundations are not good at all, with the exception of Face and Body. I can stand their bad customer services for their lovely colour products but for foundation, there are better ones out there. I am warm toned and MAC foundations always provide more of an orange (!!) undertone, which is almost always way too prominent than it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

I've never had a problem with Mac sales assistants, i have a friend who works there, who is always helpful to me and different customers! Dont paint them all with the one brush. I dont think they'd accept a returned foundation if it was half empty. And there are plenty of other cheaper brands that do great foundations you could try!

gillapino wrote: »
    I've never had a problem with Mac sales assistants, i have a friend who works there, who is always helpful to me and different customers! Dont paint them all with the one brush. I dont think they'd accept a returned foundation if it was half empty. And there are plenty of other cheaper brands that do great foundations you could try!

Well I'm glad that your friend is helpful to you when you go to spend money at the counter where she works, thus earning her commission.

On occasion, I've been asked to move out of the way of a mirror so as one of the girls working in mac could look in at herself, and I have stood for ages, waiting while 3 of the mac staff huddled around chatting to each other, and when I stood glaring at them, waiting for one of them to approach me and help me, (I had a list of products to buy, serious sale for them) one turned around, looked at me and told me "she'll be with you in a minute" and turned back to finish the conversation. :confused:

On the days you can catch their attention, they are bored and sullen and have little interest in you until they see you are buying more than a lipstick or an eyeshadow. They have absolutely no interest in helping you chose products that might be suitable to your skin, and that is evident in any mac store ive visited, not just in dublin.

I would rather eat my money than spend it in Mac, for I find them on the whole, extremely rude, and I'm not going to contribute to rude peoples wages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Well I'm glad that your friend is helpful to you when you go to spend money at the counter where she works, thus earning her commission.

On occasion, I've been asked to move out of the way of a mirror so as one of the girls working in mac could look in at herself, and I have stood for ages, waiting while 3 of the mac staff huddled around chatting to each other, and when I stood glaring at them, waiting for one of them to approach me and help me, (I had a list of products to buy, serious sale for them) one turned around, looked at me and told me "she'll be with you in a minute" and turned back to finish the conversation. :confused:

On the days you can catch their attention, they are bored and sullen and have little interest in you until they see you are buying more than a lipstick or an eyeshadow. They have absolutely no interest in helping you chose products that might be suitable to your skin, and that is evident in any mac store ive visited, not just in dublin.

I would rather eat my money than spend it in Mac, for I find them on the whole, extremely rude, and I'm not going to contribute to rude peoples wages.

Always find the MAC girls in limerick very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Shauna16

I find most of the Mac staff in Blanchardstown quite helpful? It might be worth your while asking them to apply what they recommend to you, on your skin so you can wear it for a while and see how it wears on your skin? Most of the time just after a foundation is applied, it looks great but after an hour or so you would have a better idea on if it suits u or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

I think it might be hard to get a refund with so much of it used.. Perhaps you can mix it with another color to get something more suited to you?

I find most MAC sales assistant's helpful but I also try to avoid the store when it's packed with people and that helps with communication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

If you are so unhappy with it you really should have brought it back within a few days of purchasing it.

The store you bought it from most likely won't do anything about it as you have let so much time pass since purchasing it.

As another poster suggested - could you mix it with a different foundation or something to make it lighter in colour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

A couple of months is stretching it, with anything you want to return. Especially foundation/make-up, if you went in sooner they would have swapped it no bother.

Then again you'd never know but I wouldn't be surprised or upset if they can't help you.

You don't contribute to their wages, MAC artists working in BT's don't make commission.
    I've stopped buying MAC makeup mainly because i find the people who work on mac are completely disinterested in what they do. I am very pale, NC 15 is too orange/dark on me.

OK well you know that NC15 is the lightest, right? Yet you say you've tried to be matched 3 times. I don't get this. It's like you're looking to complain. Also you say you are done with them but also say you go in their with lists of things to buy? You sound like you have a chip on your shoulder, that or your username is quite apt...

• Advertisement

Resi12 wrote: »
    You don't contribute to their wages, MAC artists working in BT's don't make commission.
    I will beg to differ on that. They have to make at least 2 sales to each customer, in order to reach their target.

OK well you know that NC15 is the lightest, right? Yet you say you've tried to be matched 3 times. I don't get this. It's like you're looking to complain. Also you say you are done with them but also say you go in their with lists of things to buy? You sound like you have a chip on your shoulder, that or your username is quite apt...
    I wanted a foundation that suited my skin, is that wrong? I've tried to be matched so I can buy a foundation that doesn't make me look like I've climbed out of a bag of doritos. I know better now than to go to mac for that.

And, ps - there is no need to attack the poster with your online personality diagnosis, stick to attacking the post. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

OK well you know that NC15 is the lightest, right?

They do make some sort of commission/have to meet targets because they always make sure that you mention their name when paying.

NC15 isn't the lightest also. There is a white Face & Body which is white and meant to be mixed with other shades. There is also C1, C2 etc in the powder foundations. NC15 is the only the lightest in most liquid foundations :)

I don't know what it is with MAC but whenever something even slightly negative is said about it, people always get so defensive. We obviously all love make up here, as we are on the beauty board, but like late and mega talented Kevyn Aucoin said "It's only make-up".

On another note, in BT Grafton St MAC, they always make sure that you gave their name at the till. So I always thought they're getting some sort of commission out of it. And although I have been very kind to them, I have been treated very badly in that particular store. I have moved a lot in the past couple of years and almost all the MAC girls in various European and Middle-Eastern countries treated me in a rude and unprofessional way, with an exception of one girl in Harvey Nichols Leeds in England. But I am glad you have found great MAC staff and thanks for that. I will go and try the Blanchardstown MAC as mentioned here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I won't buy MAC in Ireland. Firstly because it's very expensive and secondly because the staff's heads are so far up their own asses.

Any other MAC store in any other country the staff are extremely helpful.

None of this crack about needing to make appointments weeks in advance. You just walk in, ask for your makeup done/tips etc and it's no problem.

But back to the OP. There isn't a hope of them giving you a refund or an exchange. You've left it way too long.

I wanted a foundation that suited my skin, is that wrong? I've tried to be matched so I can buy a foundation that doesn't make me look like I've climbed out of a bag of doritos. I know better now than to go to mac for that.

And, ps - there is no need to attack the poster with your online personality diagnosis, stick to attacking the post. ;)

Not at all, but MAC isn't the only make up company that does foundation and in fact their normal stock isn't very pale friendly. My best friend is very pale and she wouldn't dream of going to MAC for a foundation, sure she could go to a Pro store and start looking for C1's and the like but would you not save yourself the hassle and look into an alternative?

Nobody was attacking you, it seems silly is all.
    bscm wrote: »
    They do make some sort of commission/have to meet targets because they always make sure that you mention their name when paying.

NC15 isn't the lightest also. There is a white Face & Body which is white and meant to be mixed with other shades. There is also C1, C2 etc in the powder foundations. NC15 is the only the lightest in most liquid foundations :)

They do not make commission, I worked for MAC. They do need to meet targets (like most sales staff) but that does not mean they make commission from that sale. Ipso facto, you do not contribute to their wages on a personal level by buying products.

I meant in Ireland and not a Pro product, which is basically what is available to everyone that is outside Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Shauna16 wrote: »
    I find most of the Mac staff in Blanchardstown quite helpful? It might be worth your while asking them to apply what they recommend to you, on your skin so you can wear it for a while and see how it wears on your skin? Most of the time just after a foundation is applied, it looks great but after an hour or so you would have a better idea on if it suits u or not!

I found the Mac staff in Blanchardstown to be terrible when I used to go in there. Granted, I stopped working in Blanch well over a year ago but for a period between 2.5 and 1.5 years ago I was going in there every couple of months and spending quite a bit of money (I was doing a makeup course at the time).

I'd go in on weekday evenings straight after work so it would be very quiet. The staff were nearly always huddled around the till chatting to each other and not paying attention to the customers that were browsing. I usually didn't need their help because I knew exactly what I was there for but not once did any of them come over and ask me did I need help. There was one day which I did actually need some help as I was putting together a palette. Again, about 4 girls were standing around the till chatting about holidays. I decided out of interest to see how long it would take for one of them to come over to me without me having to ask for them. After about 4 or 5 minutes of me standing at the eyeshadows and continuously looking over to them, it took one of the girls from the BENEFIT counter to walk over to them and point out that they had a customer! The girl came over, no apology, and asked how she could help. I told her I wanted to put together a palette and I already had 3 of the eyeshadows picked out, and showed her. I said I was looking for a dark one to finish it off, and I was mulling over what one to choose. She didn't even offer any advice as to what one to pick, she stood there with the palette in her hand and waited for me to pick one out.

I wish I'd had the guts to walk out there and then, but I wanted my eyeshadows :o I sent an email of complaint to the manager in BT2 a few days later, and the manager of the Mac concession phoned me. She was very apologetic and offered me a free makeover. I thanked her but I never actually used it and never went into that store again.

I have had good experiences with Mac staff though, so I'm not tarring them all with the same brush. On the two occasions when I've been to their Dundrum store I've found the girls who dealt with me very helpful. But then I've also been to Grafton Street and waited around for someone to help me while they've all been fixing their makeup and preening themselves.

So my overall experience with Mac staff has been mainly negative. Which is a pity because I do love some of their products.

Not at all, but MAC isn't the only make up company that does foundation and in fact their normal stock isn't very pale friendly. My best friend is very pale and she wouldn't dream of going to MAC for a foundation, sure she could go to a Pro store and start looking for C1's and the like but would you not save yourself the hassle and look into an alternative?

Nobody was attacking you, it seems silly is all.

They do not make commission, I worked for MAC. They do need to meet targets (like most sales staff) but that does not mean they make commission from that sale. Ipso facto, you do not contribute to their wages on a personal level by buying products.

I meant in Ireland and not a Pro product, which is basically what is available to everyone that is outside Dublin.
    Okay, so I might not contribute to their wages on a personal level, but by buying products, I am helping them meet their targets, thus helping them keep their job, no??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Okay, so I might not contribute to their wages on a personal level, but by buying products, I am helping them meet their targets, thus helping them keep their job, no??

Technically you are helping them meet targets but to be honest, there not gonna lose their jobs just because you didn't buy something there. If you don't like the customer service, just don't shop there and stop complaining! :)

Technically you are helping them meet targets but to be honest, there not gonna lose their jobs just because you didn't buy something there. If you don't like the customer service, just don't shop there and stop complaining! :)

Oh I don't shop there anymore, buy far superior makeup nowadays. I am merely pointing out that MAC sales assistants are unhelpful and rude. If everyone had the same mindset, shop somewhere else, they would be out of a job. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I had a problem with finding the right colour when it came to buying foundation and over the years I tried dozens.
    I tried L'Oreal, Maybelline, etc and none were right.

(My skin is pale and even the lightest shades would look orange on me)

I was almost giving up when I asked one of the staff at the makeup counter in Boots for advice.
    She wasn't trying to steer me to the most expensive ones; she showed me a few (which I'd tried) then she showed me Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation.
    She applied a colour to both my hands and said my ideal shade was "Shell".
    Knowing it was a bit more expensive than brands I'd used before, she offered me a sample bottle to try at home for free.

I took the sample home, thinking I wouldn't pay €34 for the full bottle as it was a bit too dear.
    But...

I tried the foundation and I was absolutely amazed.
    The colour was PERFECT!
    It really was the same shade as my skin and it blended lovely.
    It had zero orangeness to it and it looked so fresh and smooth.
    I couldn't help looking in the mirror all day because I was so amazed by it.
    It also lasted ALL DAY LONG and I mean that.

I've tried foundations before that claim to last all day, but you're in the bathroom topping it up in a matter of hours, but this really did last all day and when it came to removing it, a facial wipe took care of it.
    It didn't budge when I ate (have you ever gotten the white ring around your mouth after eating?) and it didn't smudge.

I was so impressed that I went back to Boots and bought the full bottle and I haven't looked back since.
    So my advice to you, OP, is to visit your nearest Boots, ask the assistant if they can advise you on the correct shade for your skin and then take a free sample home.

I doubt you'll try anything else again and in my opinion, it's well worth the money because a little goes a long way.

I usually pour a bit out on the back of my hand and I get loads from it.
    Sorry for the long post, but I know how frustrating it is having the wrong foundation and when I found the right one, I was just so happy.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

I never give the name if they didn't help me at all (bar taking out the box), might not make a difference but Id like to think that if everyone did they'd up their customer service. I'm going to buy Mac online from now on, with no free samples and bad customer service there's no point adding to their sales figures here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I don't understand standing around waiting to see if someone comes to help you. Why not walk over to the girls if you can see they're there and ask them to help you or serve you? Throwing daggers isn't enough. If they actually ignored you after you verbally requested something from them it would be different.
    Personally I hate the 'Lush' style customer service where it's impossible to look at anything without feeling under obligation to buy.

Oh I don't shop there anymore, buy far superior makeup nowadays. I am merely pointing out that MAC sales assistants are unhelpful and rude. If everyone had the same mindset, shop somewhere else, they would be out of a job. :)

Yes, let's tar everyone with the same brush because of a few bad seeds. Better yet, let's get them out of a job. Sure what do they need on for anyway!

"Far superior makeup", you really sound like you have such a chip on your shoulder with MAC. It puzzles me but look it, good for you. If you've found better stuff than who cares?

Unless you are buying 100 products daily, then no. I wouldn't flatter yourself that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Ahh this thread has really veered off the original query! :rolleyes:

God people really are defensive about Mac.

Every single purchase, no matter how big or small, contributes to sales targets.

And people are perfectly entitled to complain. It's such an Irish thing to just say nothing but why should we? I agree the most important thing is to talk with your feet and shop elsewhere, but if you have been unhappy with a product/service then by all means you should complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Raspberrygirl

God people really are defensive about Mac.

Every single purchase, no matter how big or small, contributes to sales targets.

And people are perfectly entitled to complain. It's such an Irish thing to just say nothing but why should we? I agree the most important thing is to talk with your feet and shop elsewhere, but if you have been unhappy with a product/service then by all means you should complain.

People are defensive about MAC because some people on this thread are writing off entire MAC workforces in this country based on a few negative experiences. It's such an Irish thing to let one or two bad experiences taint your whole perception of a Company and swear off that Company, bad mouth them to all your friends, post on boards about how bad the service was, hope that the Company go bust, tar everyone working there with the same brush..... Like going into Tesco and having a bad experience and proclaiming you'll never shop there again!

I'm all for speaking up when you have had a bad experience but really we can take it too far sometimes. It's the sweeping statements like "I am merely pointing out that MAC sales assistants are unhelpful and rude." and "I won't buy MAC in Ireland. Firstly because it's very expensive and secondly because the staff's heads are so far up their own asses.Any other MAC store in any other country the staff are extremely helpful. " that are getting peoples backs up and making them defensive about MAC.

It's quite simple really- if you don't like MAC, don't shop there. I shop there, not for the fantastic customer service, but because I like their products. Simple as. I've learned to become self sufficient in knowing what I want to buy because it's much easier and less hassle to walk in knowing what I want.

As regard to your question OP, theres not a chance you're getting a refund/ exchange and why should you? If you bought a top and had it worn and then 2 months down the line decided you didn't like it, would you be given a refund? It's the same principle. Even if it was the next day, if it was opened, you might have difficulty doing that, I mean thats why they have testers? I know it's a pain but you should just chalk this down to experience. God knows I've made plenty of expensive mistakes! Some beauty forums do swaps, could be an option.

People are defensive about MAC because some people on this thread are writing off entire MAC workforces in this country based on a few negative experiences. It's such an Irish thing to let one or two bad experiences taint your whole perception of a Company and swear off that Company, bad mouth them to all your friends, post on boards about how bad the service was, hope that the Company go bust, tar everyone working there with the same brush..... Like going into Tesco and having a bad experience and proclaiming you'll never shop there again!

I'm all for speaking up when you have had a bad experience but really we can take it too far sometimes. It's the sweeping statements like "I am merely pointing out that MAC sales assistants are unhelpful and rude." and "I won't buy MAC in Ireland. Firstly because it's very expensive and secondly because the staff's heads are so far up their own asses.Any other MAC store in any other country the staff are extremely helpful. " that are getting peoples backs up and making them defensive about MAC.

It's quite simple really- if you don't like MAC, don't shop there. I shop there, not for the fantastic customer service, but because I like their products. Simple as. I've learned to become self sufficient in knowing what I want to buy because it's much easier and less hassle to walk in knowing what I want.

If people write off entire workforces over a few bad experiences, that's completely their prerogative. How many chances should you give? An employee is representing their company while they're in work and yes, one or two bad workers can help give the company a bad name. This is why Mac should invest more in their hiring and training process.

You're basically saying that people shouldn't complain to their friends, on the Internet, etc., they should just keep their mouths shut?? Eh no!

Good for you for knowing exactly what you want when you go into mac. But plenty of people don't, and the staff are there to help those people. Of course there are great staff in Mac but there are plenty of bad ones too, and those bad experiences tend to stick longer in people's minds.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Good for you for knowing exactly what you want when you go into mac. But plenty of people don't, and the staff are there to help those people. Of course there are great staff in Mac but there are plenty of bad ones too, and those bad experiences tend to stick longer in people's minds.

This is my attitude to MAC, I was looking to replace all of my clinique makeup last year, and had to go into MAC three times before I could even get an assistant who would talk to me as they were all busy.

They then told me it would be at least four weeks before they could fit me in:o I left, and went back to Clinique and got great service from the staff there once I explained the minor issues I was having with a product.

It was like the MAC staff had no interest whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Raspberrygirl

You're basically saying that people shouldn't complain to their friends, on the Internet, etc., they should just keep their mouths shut?? Eh no!
    Nope, not saying that, but why can't we complain constructively? As in maybe say something to a manager or whatever? Complaining on the internet or to your friends is not gonna solve anything.
    Of course there are great staff in Mac but there are plenty of bad ones too, and those bad experiences tend to stick longer in people's minds.
    And that's what is unfortunate for the great staff, their efforts are overshadowed by bad eggs. (or not even bad eggs but maybe people who were having a bad day that day)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Twinwolf

I have to agree with the anti mac's on here. I stopped buying there years ago, but this year got a gift card so went in as I needed a new foundation, the clinique I always wear was not going on great as my skin had just gone quiet dry. I ended up with a foundation thats the wrong colour (too pale, but she had put loads of powder over so I didn't know), and its the worst going on my skin, it takes ages to blend, its flaky and nasty. I'm sick I spent so much in that shop, ended up buying loads of other things while I was there... just got carried away, but regret it and learned my lesson. Mac is not for me, and the prices are ridiculous. Also the makeup artist was a snooty cow, I always get that vibe of of mac girls... So I know how you feel OP, I have a nearly full bottle of foundation, which I keep trying every few weeks thinking, it might work this time. I should just bin it. Don't think you would get a refund, unless you had brought it back in reasonable time after the purchase. Like me, chalk it up to experience.

Vibrantblue - have you ever used any of the Aucoin foundation, theres two of his I'm dying to try, but don't know anyone who's ever used them before?
    I don't know what it is with MAC but whenever something even slightly negative is said about it, people always get so defensive. We obviously all love make up here, as we are on the beauty board, but like late and mega talented Kevyn Aucoin said "It's only make-up".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

"I won't buy MAC in Ireland. Firstly because it's very expensive and secondly because the staff's heads are so far up their own asses.Any other MAC store in any other country the staff are extremely helpful. " that are getting peoples backs up and making them defensive about MAC.

It's quite simple really- if you don't like MAC, don't shop there. I shop there, not for the fantastic customer service, but because I like their products.

Ok just for the sake of argument here. If you loved the food in a restaurant but the staff were absolutely terrible would you go back? You go back the 3rd, 4th and 5th time and it's no better would you still go back?

What if you could get the same food elsewhere and the staff were really brilliant at their job? Because that's what I do.

I love MAC products but MAC in this country seems to be put on a pedestal as the best of the best which is why I believe the staff there think they are above the rest of us.

You won't find that in any other country. Maybe it's because MAC is more readily available but the staff aren't snobby and do their best for you.

In NYC for example, if the staff in MAC in Macy's aren't nice your going to go to Bloomingdales. And if they aren't nice there you can go to a PRO store. And hell if they aren't nice there you've got the option of going to Sephora etc.

There's more competition whereas in this country there really isn't a lot of competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

I love MAC products but hate there staff. In all the years I’ve been buying MAC products (about 10) I’ve never had a good experience with there sales assistances. I though the staff in BT couldn’t be out done in terms of rudeness and poor people skill....that was until they opened up in Blanchardstown SC! My god, I’ve never come across such rude, disinterested SA in all my life. Anytime I’ve gone in it seems like there job is interfering with there chatting time. I rarely ask for advice anymore but was looking for a pale blusher a few months back, I asked for something pale and neutral....she went "eh....mmmm (bored look)...what about these" she handed me a neon pink and dark brown colour. :eek:

Like I said I love MAC products (except there foundation, muck!) so now I go on Makeupalley or blogs and look for review and recommendations rather than seek advice from there, at best disinterested, at worst rude staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Far superior? Its only make-up! I'd say if you're that pale, you should try something like Dainty Doll by Nicola Roberts. Hoping to try it out myself.

I'm quite pale and would be NC15. The thing is a lot of customers want to be darker. I worked in MAC in the airport and the other girls were constantly calling me over to show customers that yes, you can still look alive with a pale foundation that suits your skin. I know that's no excuse for someone giving you NC30 (they blind!) but most people do ask for a darker shade. Used to do my nut in.

I do agree with what people are saying abut the staff in BT store though. I would often go in there to pick out pro items to order for my allowance. Hated it. I've a million empty pots to bring in for Back2Mac but the thoughts of going in there, ugh!

Go to the smaller stores tbh and/or complain to both MAC and Brown Thomas.
    Stheno wrote: »
    This is my attitude to MAC, I was looking to replace all of my clinique makeup last year, and had to go into MAC three times before I could even get an assistant who would talk to me as they were all busy.

They then told me it would be at least four weeks before they could fit me in:o I left, and went back to Clinique and got great service from the staff there once I explained the minor issues I was having with a product.

It was like the MAC staff had no interest whatsoever.

In fairness, I worked on the Armani counter when they were opposite MAC. Some days they were so busy, it was nearly a health and safety issue.

There is no excuse when they are not busy. In training, you're told you have to approach customers when they come into the shop floor. So if you feel like you are not getting attention, complain to the manager. I hate getting approached myself in stores, so I'd do the whole "Hi, do you need a hand with anything" "No? Okay, well just gimme a shout if you do". Usually before I'd have left, the customer would then ask me question because I had approached then but wasn't breathing down their neck. :)

As for the OP's question - bringing back a half full bottle of foundation after a few months? Are you having a laugh? They won't change it for you.

Twinwolf wrote: »
    Vibrantblue - have you ever used any of the Aucoin foundation, theres two of his I'm dying to try, but don't know anyone who's ever used them before?

I am dying to try the Sensual Skin Enhancer, but currently don't have the means to purchase it. You can take a look at makeupalley; plenty of reviews and discussions on boards there.

OT but I have to say it: I adore the Celestial Powder. Best.Thing.Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I want to like Mac, I really do, but it isnt happening for me. Ive used the NC15as well, few times, and last year had a voucher which I decided to treat myself to some red lipstick; I wanted Ruby Woo but the girl doing my makeup glossed over the fact they didnt have any Ruby Woo in stock and Russian Red (?) would look better. She offered to put some on, and topped up wth gloss for a 'party look'. I looked like a...well I dont want to offend anyone's profession, but you can imagine!! I wanted to say 'hang on, this is applied shockingly! but didnt have the nerve. My kid sister would do a better job.

And last month I rang up the Galway one to book a makeup application apt, a week in advance. Was advised they were completely booked out. :(

• Advertisement

I will admit that before I went on a mac ban, Ruby Woo was my favourite lipstick. I love it but wouldn't step foot in mac to buy it. Ruby Woo is completely matt, which is why I love it. Definately not a fan of the glossed up red lip look.

That said, I do have a red lipgloss here somewhere thats russian red and it looks ok on, as long as the eye makeup is muted.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭princess3901

Hi all, I am a Mac convert, i was always a max factor girl. I just purchased Mac make up in september when I was in Dublin for a few days. I went to the Blanchardstown shopping center and the girls were so helpful. I only went in to get foundation but the girl offered to do my full make up for me. I ended up buying a lot of Mac products, I know they probably work on commission but I just thought the customer service she gave me was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ennis81

To answer the original question no they won't refund you, but try and sell it on ADVERTS.IE people always looking for MAC on there and you will recoup enough money if you sell it to buy a new foundation, like someone else mentioned the staff in Boots are great so maybe try there.
    I had a bad experience with a snotty sales assistant in MAC in Grafton St a few years ago, staff in the airport are v nice, I always pop in for a couple of bits when I am going anywhere, and I also went into Blanch last week because I have a BT voucher and wanted a new foundation, don't like studio fix anymore so wanted to try something new, I was a approched by a lovely young man and he gave me quite a big sample of studio sculpt to take home and try, and have to say perfect colour and will be going back to purchase tomorrow. So I suppose it is unfair to tar all the staff in Irelands MAC branchs with the same brush

Advertisement