Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traveller woman beaten to death in Louth.**Mod warning in post 1**

• 30-08-2012 5:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭

Murder probe after woman found dead at her home in Dundalk

A post mortem has established that 34-year-old Jacqueline McDonagh was beaten to death.
    Her husband and children were in the house at the time.
    Gardaí say they are keeping an open mind on the case and have renewed their appeal for anyone with information to come forward.
    Ms McDonagh died after she sustained serious injuries to her head and body during the attack at her house at College Manor in Dundalk.
    Gardaí have spoken briefly to her husband, but said that as he was extremely distressed they are waiting to speak to him again to see if he can assist with their inquiries.
    The family moved to Dundalk from Finglas in Dublin last year because of an ongoing Traveller feud.

Source.

Ok so we've decided to start a thread for discussion about this terrible incident.

Mod warning: Any form of traveller bashing will result in lengthy bans(even if you think its a joke) and any speculation will be deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I've heard rumours but is there anything concrete to link this to a feud?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

Well this thread wont be very light hearted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Thoughts go to immediate family.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

just lock it now please...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

RIP to the unfortunate victim in this.

The husband was in the house at the time of the attack,and him being a champion street fighter you would think he could would have heard and stopped the attack on his wife,according to the Herald Gardai are sceptical of the possibility that masked men attacked the house, IMO the husband has some questions to answer.

http://www.herald.ie/news/suspect-in-murder-of-movie-mum-jacqui-tried-to-attack-priest-3215114.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

This is going to get a lot of publicity due to her husband being a major part of the documentary Knuckle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Pointless thread will end in bans. RIP though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Actually only watched knuckle recently... thought she came across well in it.

RIP, sympathies to the family also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It seems a bit strange that it happened while her husband and children were in the house. No point in commenting really until more info about the case is given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

What a weird case. In her own house with her family around? How?

RIP anyway, her poor kids must be in bits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

smash wrote: »
    It seems a bit strange that it happened while her husband and children were in the house. No point in commenting really until more info about the case is given.

Agreed. Not all is as it seems at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

must.... resist.... urge.... to.... post.... bad... things...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Agreed. Not all is as it seems at the mo.

No one can say anything yet, but I know what im thinking and what many are thinking. I saw the tv programme about her husband.
    Cant say anything yet. So I really dont know what the point is of this thread. Why is it even open?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Super-Rush wrote: »

Mod warning: Any form of traveller bashing will result in lengthy bans(even if you think its a joke) and any speculation will be deleted.

Why did you start this thread? This is a pointless thread, as noone knows what happened yet. And cant comment yet. Definite bans everywhere, namely me. See ya pals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭mathstalk

They had moved to Dundalk to escape feuds. It's clear that they just wanted to get away from the conflict and violence, but evidently it ended up finding them. Sad that there was no escape for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Unless it descends into discussion of Sabrina the Teenage Witch again, what more can we say? RIP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Weird thread tbh

Why include the fact that she was a traveler in the thread title? And then go on to say that generalizations etc will earn bans.. and no speculation allowed either?

What the hell is supposed to be discussed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

R.I.P.

What a terrible way to die.

I hope it doesn't turn into a big feud resulting in the deaths of more people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

If this wasn't started someone else would have started it and it could have got very messy before mods got wind of it. Better to avoid the stuff that will get people bans than to dish them out.

Thread title should just have said Women beaten to death.

Interesting that the Mod used Traveller woman, then promises bans for discussiong travellers.

Poor girl. Hope they catch who ever is responsible fast.

R.I.P

• Advertisement

Weird thread tbh

Why include the fact that she was a traveler in the thread title? And then go on to say that generalizations etc will earn bans.. and no speculation allowed either?

What the hell is supposed to be discussed?

I put the fact that she was a traveler in the title because she was a member of the travelling community and to stop a million and one threads being started about the same topic.

Is that a generalization? No its a fact.

No speculation is a rule we enforce in a lot of threads like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Any form of traveller bashing will result in lengthy bans

Poor choice of words there...

Jake1 wrote: »
    Thread title should just have said Women beaten to death.

Interesting that the Mod used Traveller woman, then promises bans for discussiong travellers.

Poor girl. Hope they catch who ever is responsible fast.

R.I.P

If you actually read the opening post you would see i never once said that people couldn't discuss travelers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Jake1 wrote: »

It was going to come up and we all know people love getting all hysterical about Travellers.

Can't blame the mods really. Also, I think it's actually against the law to single out one group for criticism so boards probably have to be careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Poor choice of words there...
    It should result in a prison sentence surely?

If you actually read the opening post you would see i never once said that people couldn't discuss travelers.

Fair enough, my bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

ScumLord wrote: »
    It should result in a prison sentence surely?

I think it was the most subtle way he could work in a traveller joke, without raising too much suspicion. Job well done, I'd say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

How do we know she's a traveller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It's common knowledge.Her oh appeared on a documentary about bare knuckle boxing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

zerks wrote: »

It's common knowledge.Her oh appeared on a documentary about bare knuckle boxing.
    Okies, cheers, I didn't see the program I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

RIP to the victim and condoleces to her family.
    Hopefully the Gardai will catch those responsible quickly.
    By all accounts this was a quiet decent family (according to those in the area) who caused no trouble no offence to those around them.

I put the fact that she was a traveler in the title because she was a member of the travelling community and to stop a million and one threads being started about the same topic.

Is that a generalization? No its a fact.

No speculation is a rule we enforce in a lot of threads like this.

Fair enough. Fwiw, I wasn't suggesting that you were generalising. I just meant that including that bit in the title could easily lead to others doing so or assuming that it was somehow pertinent to her being killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Beating someone to death like that is just unimaginable, pure savagery.
    Hopefully this doesn't escalate already poor tensions into an even worse fude as it always seem to be the more innocent on each side that suffer most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

According to the newspaper reports her family has been involved in a violent feud for a long time. Some incidents related to the feud would be the Dalton Park riot a few years back and the grenade attack in Navan last year. Anyone from Mullingar or Navan will be able to cite many more incidents.

According to the Herald there was a big family gathering in the Red Cow on Tuesday at which many involved in the feud attended. Not long afterwards this woman was supposedly beaten to death at her home. The prime suspect is reported to be someone known to her and also someone who has been heavily involved in the feud.

So people can make their own conclusions from the newspaper reports.

I don't think anyone can deny that the traveller culture has become a very violent one. The feuding and the bare knuckle boxing is well documented. It's very unusual for women to be involved in this though, other than in a purely supportive role. So if indeed this woman was killed as part of the feud it means the violence has escalated to a new level. And if the family decide not to cooperate with the investigation, you can expect some serious retaliation. It's unlikely this feud will be solved with fair fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

34 year old man arrested in connection with the murder. I'm inclined to wonder if her husband is 34, same as she was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

MagicSean wrote: »
    According to the newspaper reports her family has been involved in a violent feud for a long time. Some incidents related to the feud would be the Dalton Park riot a few years back and the grenade attack in Navan last year. Anyone from Mullingar or Navan will be able to cite many more incidents.

According to the Herald there was a big family gathering in the Red Cow on Tuesday at which many involved in the feud attended. Not long afterwards this woman was supposedly beaten to death at her home. The prime suspect is reported to be someone known to her and also someone who has been heavily involved in the feud.

So people can make their own conclusions from the newspaper reports.

I don't think anyone can deny that the traveller culture has become a very violent one. The feuding and the bare knuckle boxing is well documented. It's very unusual for women to be involved in this though, other than in a purely supportive role. So if indeed this woman was killed as part of the feud it means the violence has escalated to a new level. And if the family decide not to cooperate with the investigation, you can expect some serious retaliation. It's unlikely this feud will be solved with fair fights.
    Could you please link to these newspaper reports, Sean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Could you please link to these newspaper reports, Sean?

Well my thread was locked so I can't link my post but they are listed here in post 1 and 9. And the others have been quoted here already.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056741105

34 year old man arrested in connection with the murder. I'm inclined to wonder if her husband is 34, same as she was.
    Reports on the news had her husband as 42 initially, I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

MagicSean wrote: »

I have to agree. Any time I've heard of any violent incident that was committed by someone in the traveller community (And I'm not saying all travellers are violent. they're not. I'm just saying that any time an incident has been reported) , it's pretty much always been a male perpertrator. Women can occasionally have a go at other women, but I've never heard of a male participating in a violent act against any female member of the traveller community.

I have no idea if this is the kind of thing they would cooperate with law enforcement with. But if I were responsable, I think I'd feel safer in police custody.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

SocSocPol wrote: »
    If he is, that would certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

IF it was someone from a rival family this is really gonna escalate things between them and more then likely more frequent and more violent clashes in the future.

R.I.P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

SocSocPol wrote: »

In Knuckle, it says the husband was 18y at their wedding in 1997.

2Scoops wrote: »
    In Knuckle, it says the husband was 18y at their wedding in 1997.
    Like I said, I could be wrong.
    For the sake of the children I hope its not a case of dad killing mum, terrible scenario for any family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Nail on head, i'd say.

Nail on head, i'd say.

He was arrested in Dublin. I'd wonder about the husband being in Dublin the day after the murder of his wife. Surely he'd still be helping local Gardai with their investigations?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

I suspect the reason it has been mentioned is that her death is more than likely related to an ongoing traveller feud in Finglas.

I have never heard of a female traveller being attacked by a male member of another family but its likely that it wouldnt be known outside the community if it had happened.

if the person in custody is charged with this murder i cant imagine they will be safe in any irish prison.

is there any speculation about which family the suspect belongs to?

its sickening to hear about the brutality of the attack on a defenceless woman.

if the suspect is convicted of her murder i would have no sympathy for anything that happens to him but i hope the families dont start an all out war over the actions of what has been reported to be a mentally fcuked person. Throw him to the wolves to save the lives of the young lads in both families.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

Jesus folks use your heads, the suspect was arrested in Dublin, the husband was at the house. Its not the husband in custody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Grayson wrote: »
    I've never heard of a male participating in a violent act against any female member of the traveller community.

Are you serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He was arrested in Dublin. I'd wonder about the husband being in Dublin the day after the murder of his wife. Surely he'd still be helping local Gardai with their investigations?

He is custody in Dundalk now afaik. Local grapevine.
    Nothing to do with any fued.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement