Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traveller woman beaten to death in Louth.**Mod warning in post 1**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

from reading the Herald it sounds like the suspect travelled with them to Dundalk. If that's the case it's more likely to have been a domestic argument.

Are you serious?

i think he means outside of a domestic setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

MagicSean wrote: »
    from reading the Herald it sounds like the suspect travelled with them to Dundalk. If that's the case it's more likely to have been a domestic argument.

It was a domestic alright i'm told locally.

It was a domestic alright i'm told locally.

It doesn't necessarily exclude it from being related to the feud as that was between close family members. It drove quite a wedge through them. If it wasn't in anyway related to the feud then it may actually play a part in ending it, or at least calming it down.

It's still very unusual for this kind of attack on a woman within the traveller community. I can think of only one or two plausable scenarios that would cause it.

MagicSean wrote: »
    It doesn't necessarily exclude it from being related to the feud as that was between close family members. It drove quite a wedge through them. If it wasn't in anyway related to the feud then it may actually play a part in ending it, or at least calming it down.

It's still very unusual for this kind of attack on a woman within the traveller community. I can think of only one or two plausable scenarios that would cause it.

Not related to any fued. A domestic. All will be revealed in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Not related to any fued. A domestic. All will be revealed in time.
    Hello!
    Are you by any chance Mystic Meg?

later12 wrote: »
    Hello!
    Are you by any chance Mystic Meg?

No but it's common knowledge locally. I live close to that estate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭stuar

It was her husband arrested, local knowledge. 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

stuar wrote: »
    It was her husband arrested, local knowledge. 100%
    If it's true then it's sad,sad for the three kids who have just lost their mam, because of the violence of their dad.My thoughts would be with them.If it is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Anyone else noticing how few thanks the sympathy posts are getting in comparison to normal threads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Are you serious?

Normally not.

But yeah, I know domestic violence exists but I've never heard of a traveller committing an act of violence against a female traveller.

Grayson wrote: »
    Normally not.

But yeah, I know domestic violence exists but I've never heard of a traveller committing an act of violence against a female traveller.

It happens quite often. They actually believe they have a right to beat their own wives. It's part of their tradition it seems.

Grayson wrote: »
    Normally not.

With all the mayhem that goes on within said community, do you honestly believe that the lads all return home after and act like 'father of the year'???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Also heard its a domestic.

Is the husband the lad who bit the guy he was fighting in the documentary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It happens quite often. They actually believe they have a right to beat their own wives. It's part of their tradition it seems.

It happens quite a lot more in the non-traveller community, but we don't assume that it's our own tradition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

In fairness, domestic violence is a general societal problem.plenty of women, and some men, are granted either protection or barring orders in the courts every month. Their are prescious few adults in this country who do not know someone who either is or has been a victim of domestic violence. their are precious few travellers in our disgracfully underfunded and overcrowded womens refuges.

I believe so. That's what their saying.

SocSocPol wrote: »
    In fairness, domestic violence is a general societal problem.plenty of women, and some men, are granted either protection or barring orders in the courts every month. Their are prescious few adults in this country who do not know someone who either is or has been a victim of domestic violence. their are precious few travellers in our disgracfully underfunded and overcrowded womens refuges.

Totally agree. But it is seemingly allowed in their tradition. They don't leave and they don't make complaints to the Garda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,636 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RIP to the poor woman, whomever did it I hope they lock him away for a long time but knowing the Irish justice system probably wont be long

I think one of the children found her if that is true god love them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Totally agree. But it is seemingly allowed in their tradition. They don't leave and they don't make complaints to the Garda.

Ah here. Do you know anything about domestic abuse? The majority of victims don't leave or make complaints to the Gardai. A thousand spouses and partners will be beaten by their OH's tonight in Ireland and you'd be lucky if 1% of them faced the consequences of the law for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭louthguy25

According to the local newspaper feed in Dundalk Mr McDonagh has handed himself into the gaurds. Very sad case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Source.

Mod warning: Any form of traveller bashing
    bad choice of words given the circumstances imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

louthguy25 wrote: »
    According to the local newspaper feed in Dundalk Mr McDonagh has handed himself into the gaurds. Very sad case
    got a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Those poor children. :(

Doesnt matter which community the poor woman comes from. She has been beaten to death by her partner. Has happened to many many non traveller women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Those poor children. :(

Doesnt matter which community the poor woman comes from. She has been beaten to death by her partner. Has happened to many many non traveller women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

this is sad story all round.

So they posted that 2 hours ago, but RTE etc don't have that info... yea, seems legit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Anyone else noticing how few thanks the sympathy posts are getting in comparison to normal threads?

I suppose it's because people generally don't like travellers. What's your take?

smash wrote: »
    So they posted that 2 hours ago, but RTE etc don't have that info... yea, seems legit!

RTE are terribly slow to update things, this is a local paper im not saying 100% they are right but why would a local paper risk accusing someone in the wrong

• Advertisement

Ah here. Do you know anything about domestic abuse? The majority of victims don't leave or make complaints to the Gardai. A thousand spouses and partners will be beaten by their OH's tonight in Ireland and you'd be lucky if 1% of them faced the consequences of the law for it.

I know quite a lot about it actually.
    While many settled people do make complaints there are very few if any travellers who do likewise.

RTE are terribly slow to update things, this is a local paper im not saying 100% they are right but why would a local paper risk accusing someone in the wrong
    There's no other news site or radio that has stated that he handed himself in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It is not a newspaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

This is a terribly sad case regardless of who done it, a young mother beaten to death in her own home, 3 kids left with out their mammy. RIP.

It is not a newspaper.

The examiner is not a newpaper ?? What would you call it then?

I have never even heard of it and I live there.

I have never even heard of it and I live there.
    Their website doesn't seem to work either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I know quite a lot about it actually.
    While many settled people do make complaints there are very few if any travellers who do likewise.

That doesn't make it a traveller tradition and saying it's a tradition is a disgusting thing to say

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I dont know. Other people have been asking the same question.

The "Dundalk Examiner" may not exist as an established newspaper, instead it may be a a hoax, a sting or disinformation. A person in Dundalk, Ireland has searched newspaper outlets throughout the town for a copy of the "paper" and has not been able to find one. Confirmation of the existence of the paper is invited; send to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

SocSocPol wrote: »
    their are precious few travellers in our disgracfully underfunded and overcrowded womens refuges.

I volunteer at a local women's refuge a couple of times a year and there are always traveller women there.

In the travelling community the beaten women are shunned by their friends/family. Something to do with their culture. The only place they can go is the refuges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

It happens quite a lot more in the non-traveller community, but we don't assume that it's our own tradition.
    I'd love to see the stats to back up that claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Status from the RIP Jacqueline Quinn Mc Donagh Facebook page :

R.i.p Jacqueline Quinn McDonagh
    jacquelines family has asked me to remove the name quinn frm the mcdonagh i am sorry as i can not do this and it is not for the want of trying just to many people have liked thiis page for me to do this now the computer will not let me im sorry.... rip jack ♥ ♥ ♥ sweetdream's jack ♥ ♥ ♥

That doesn't make it a traveller tradition and saying it's a tradition is a disgusting thing to say

I worked with a traveller organisation in my time and on several occasions when a woman would come in with marks, bruises etc and confided in us they would never take our advice to report the matter as they said it was their tradition that their husbands could hit them. They would never report it to the Garda. I actually asked a Garda discreetly to keep an eye on a certain home on one of these occasions and he told me that they would not make a complaint and that he never received a complaint from a traveller woman on this issue.

What part of my post was disgusting ?

I volunteer at a local women's refuge a couple of times a year and there are always traveller women there.

In the travelling community the beaten women are shunned by their friends/family. Something to do with their culture. The only place they can go is the refuges.

Did you ever hear of one of them taking their husband to court either, i didn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Speaking unpleasant truths is disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I worked with a traveller organisation in my time and on several occasions when a woman would come in with marks, bruises etc and confided in us they would never take our advice to report the matter as they said it was their tradition that their husbands could hit them. They would never report it to the Garda. I actually asked a Garda discreetly to keep an eye on a certain home on one of these occasions and he told me that they would not make a complaint and that he never received a complaint from a traveller woman on this issue.

Saying that it is a tradition for traveller men to beat their wives is frankly disgusting. Some might do it but frankly I do not believe that all traveller men are encouraged to beat their wives and I have worked with some traveller women as well.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I don't see lads dragging girls outside down my local nightclub

They can do it though, it's their culture.....

Security standing there doing nothing but look on

The narraters there explains about dominance and why its done. A man must dominate or he won't be considered a man

Grabbing when they are young, no wonder there does be violence often times after they get married

Speaking unpleasant truths is disgusting.

It's an awful life for some of them. Closing the Traveller Workshops was a very bad move by the Govt too. These centres gave the older traveller women the only few hours of social life they ever got. Just to save a few bob too.

Karen23 wrote: »
    Status from the RIP Jacqueline Quinn Mc Donagh Facebook page :

R.i.p Jacqueline Quinn McDonagh
    jacquelines family has asked me to remove the name quinn frm the mcdonagh i am sorry as i can not do this and it is not for the want of trying just to many people have liked thiis page for me to do this now the computer will not let me im sorry.... rip jack ♥ ♥ ♥ sweetdream's jack ♥ ♥ ♥

Does this mean war(feud) for the Quinns and the McDonaghs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Yeah he seemed a bit of a psycho.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement