Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traveller woman beaten to death in Louth.**Mod warning in post 1**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Mod:
    A whole load of posts have been removed, unless a claim can be backed up with a source, it will be considered specualtion and removed.

This thread should be removed imo....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

googsy wrote: »
    This thread should be removed imo....

Why would you ask for that? really I would like to know( I'm really just curious).:confused:

BlueSmoker wrote: »
    Why would you ask for that? really I would like to know( I'm really just curious).:confused:

"Mod warning: Any form of traveller bashing will result in lengthy bans(even if you think its a joke) and any speculation will be deleted."

This is just laughable.... ( the mod warning ) I'm all for free speech but what does the op think is gonna happen when he/she posts a thread like this..of course people are gonna speculate about who did it...

"Mod warning: Any form of traveller bashing will result in lengthy bans(even if you think its a joke) and any speculation will be deleted."

This is just laughable.... ( the mod warning ) I'm all for free speech but what does the op think is gonna happen when he/she posts a thread like this..of course people are gonna speculate about who did it...

No one asked you not to speculate, just make it clear you are speculating, we don't even know who the garda have as a suspect yet. If you have a prob with that, take it up with the mods that are keeping their eye on this thread instead of trying to create a stir-ing of the pot. Maybe a little bit more of respect towards the family would help too.

No one asked you not to speculate, just make it clear you are speculating, we don't even know who the garda have as a suspect yet. If you have a prob with that, take it up with the mods that are keeping their eye on this thread instead of trying to create a stir-ing of the pot. Maybe a little bit more of respect towards the family would help too.

You have completely misrepresented what I said in the last post... I just mean it's a silly and insensitive thread to post in the first place.... and I'm definitely not trying to stir the sh1t...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Too many feuds in this country. Stories like this scare the sh!t out of me as it just seems to be so out of control, it seems like there are people all over this country who for different reasons just decide that the law doesn't apply to them and act like the mafia. If it's not drug wars it's former dissidents, if it's not former dissidents its family feuds like the infamous Limerick situation, if it's not a family thing it's people who regard it as acceptable to carry a knife around "in case they get provoked", etc.

Frightening to live in a society in which this is so, so prevalent and nobody seems to be able to do literally anything about it. :eek:

You have completely misrepresented what I said in the last post... I just mean it's a silly and insensitive thread to post in the first place.... and I'm definitely not trying to stir the sh1t...

Ahh ok that was why I asked you to explain what you ment in your first post, I got the wrong end of the stick my apologies. I do think this thread deserves to be here though, cause it was a horrific act, that we do deserve to hear about.

Again my apologies. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

No one asked you not to speculate, just make it clear you are speculating

The rule is no speculation at all. This is because saying that the husband (or anyone else) killed her would be considered defamatory, even if you make it clear that you're speculating.

Despite this people have chosen to ignore any legal ramifications and common decency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Too many feuds in this country. Stories like this scare the sh!t out of me as it just seems to be so out of control, it seems like there are people all over this country who for different reasons just decide that the law doesn't apply to them and act like the mafia. If it's not drug wars it's former dissidents, if it's not former dissidents its family feuds like the infamous Limerick situation, if it's not a family thing it's people who regard it as acceptable to carry a knife around "in case they get provoked", etc.

Frightening to live in a society in which this is so, so prevalent and nobody seems to be able to do literally anything about it. :eek:

Yeah, we're all going to die and die violently.

You be happy to know then that the garda, has decided it wasn't feud related, sleep well my friend:)

• Advertisement

face1990 wrote: »
    The rule is no speculation at all. This is because saying that the husband (or anyone else) killed her would be considered defamatory, even if you make it clear that you're speculating.

Despite this people have chosen to ignore any legal ramifications and common decency.

Which is rightfully so, I'm gulity in the past in making assumption, and it really dosen't help a case, or the families pain, I learnt that the hard way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭stuar

Cops quiz husband over Jacqueline McDonagh murder
    THE husband of murdered mum Jacqueline McDonagh was arrested last night by cops investigating her killing.

Michael Quinn McDonagh, 34, went to Store Street Garda Station in Dublin with his solicitor around 5.15pm yesterday.
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/irishsun/irishsunnews/4513336/Cops-quiz-husband-over-Jacqueline-McDonagh-murder.html

Man due in court in connection with Dundalk murder

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0831/man-questioned-over-dundalk-murder.html

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

Doesnt look good when he calls in the solicitor before handing himself in. At this stage its not so much speculation anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Doesnt look good when he calls in the solicitor before handing himself in.

Lawyering up doesn't mean guilt

If I was about to get picked up I'd do the same

I'm not saying anything about guilt in this case

Just it's very unwise to be down the garda station on your own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Are we allowed speculate yet?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not until the court case is done and dusted. That's how media sources can get their asses sued. Especially places like Boards. The print media(who are only too happy to speculate) would love to see places like this sued and shut down.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

This is such an open and shut a case even the Gardai could not fcuk it up.

Show Time wrote: »

Open and shut case of manslaughter, perhaps....

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Open and shut case of manslaughter, perhaps....
    is the husband still trying to say a gang of men were able to sneak into a house full of travellers and murdered his wife with out making a sound and able to escape undetected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

What evidence do you know of besides his possible confession?

• Advertisement

MagicSean wrote: »
    What evidence do you know of besides his possible confession?
    Well we can't speculate so i better not go into my views on the matter.

Well we can't speculate so i better not go into my views on the matter.

I wasn't asking you to speculate or give your views. You said it was open and shut. i presumed you had something to back that up, even slightly.

I wasn't asking you to speculate or give your views. You said it was open and shut. i presumed you had something to back that up, even slightly.
    Anything i say could be taken up as speculation by some person or other.

But i am sure if you snoop around on line you will find stats to back up the fact most murders like this the victim knows the killer or the killer is a family member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Grayson wrote: »
    I've never heard of a male participating in a violent act against any female member of the traveller community.

Are you serious?
    As someone who has worked in a support role with traveller women, I really wish that was true, but it isn't. Physical & mental abuse are commonplace & murder, while unusual, is not unheard of.

Lelantos wrote: »
    As someone who has worked in a support role with traveller women, I really wish that was true, but it isn't. Physical & mental abuse are commonplace & murder, while unusual, is not unheard of.
    Throw drink into the equation and all bets are off.

Lelantos wrote: »

Domestic abuse may be common but it is almost unheard of for a man to assault another mans wife within the traveller community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

stuar wrote: »
    Cops quiz husband over Jacqueline McDonagh murder
    THE husband of murdered mum Jacqueline McDonagh was arrested last night by cops investigating her killing.

Michael Quinn McDonagh, 34, went to Store Street Garda Station in Dublin with his solicitor around 5.15pm yesterday.
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/irishsun/irishsunnews/4513336/Cops-quiz-husband-over-Jacqueline-McDonagh-murder.html

Man due in court in connection with Dundalk murder

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0831/man-questioned-over-dundalk-murder.html

His name sounds familar, As if it was in the media before, Maybe bare knuckle boxing or feuding, I doubt he is a stranger to the courts either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

charlemont wrote: »
    His name sounds familar, As if it was in the media before, Maybe bare knuckle boxing or feuding, I doubt he is a stranger to the courts either.

He was a big part of the documentary on bare knuckle fighting shown on RTE and BBC this year called Knuckle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Just watched the first 20 seconds of this caveman stuff. What a wimp he is hugging like a teenage girl.

• Advertisement

Super-Rush wrote: »
    He was a big part of the documentary on bare knuckle fighting shown on RTE and BBC this year called Knuckle.

****.. So he is the small lad in the video ??? Himself and his brother were on the documentary ??? ****in scumbag, Hope he rots inside.

****.. So he is the small lad in the video ??? Himself and his brother were on the documentary ??? ****in scumbag, Hope he rots inside.

I can't remember if his brother was but his father was in it.

Domestic abuse may be common but it is almost unheard of for a man to assault another mans wife within the traveller community.

Almost, I don't think the word "Traveller" is used in either article below, but all are members of the travelling community.

http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/pair-accused-of-car-park-attack-on-family-2648071.html

http://www.herald.ie/news/feud-calms-as-thug-in-attack-on-car-is-jailed-3145003.html

Man is charged with murder of his wife in Dundalk, Co Louth

Gardaí were required to calm tensions in the court room as relatives of the victim shouted abuse at Mr McDonagh.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0901/man-appears-before-special-sitting-of-dundalk-ct.html

‘I didn’t mean to kill her, I’m sorry’ – the Words of Jacqueline McDonaghs Husband.

http://www.98fm.com/2012/category-news-sport/i-didnt-mean-to-kill-her-im-sorry-the-words-of-jacqueline-mcdonaghs-husband/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I can't remember if his brother was but his father was in it.

Don't remember the father, but his brother James was definitely in it. He was unbeaten for years, and I think he may have remained unbeaten up to today. The family had lived in Dundalk previously until James was shot in a bar one night. The group involved in the shooting were also rumored to be behind the burning down of Jame's house in Coolock Lane a couple of years back.

The extent of domestic abuse in the travelling community is far higher than in the settled community.

Source

Pavee Point here is quite open about the higher level of domestic abuse in the Traveller community also.

• Advertisement

Duiske wrote: »
    Don't remember the father, but his brother James was definitely in it. He was unbeaten for years, and I think he may have remained unbeaten up to today. The family had lived in Dundalk previously until James was shot in a bar one night. The group involved in the shooting were also rumored to be behind the burning down of Jame's house in Coolock Lane a couple of years back.

You're right. I thought they were father and son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

"The Judge has recommended that he receive appropriate medical treatment."

I didn't think being a scumbag was an illness that could be cured by medical treatment. Unless they give him a lobotomy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

face1990 wrote: »
    People trying to work out what age the husband is to see if he might be the culprit, posting statistics on how common wife-beating is in the traveller community.
    And the husband is charged, and the culture of domestic abuse in the Travelling community appears to be highly relevant.

Not such ridiculous posting after all.

stuar wrote: »
    Man is charged with murder of his wife in Dundalk, Co Louth

Gardaí were required to calm tensions in the court room as relatives of the victim shouted abuse at Mr McDonagh.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0901/man-appears-before-special-sitting-of-dundalk-ct.html

‘I didn’t mean to kill her, I’m sorry’ – the Words of Jacqueline McDonaghs Husband.

http://www.98fm.com/2012/category-news-sport/i-didnt-mean-to-kill-her-im-sorry-the-words-of-jacqueline-mcdonaghs-husband/

They never do mean it, when they get caught. Then they cry like pussies. What a ****ing big pussie.

Scum bag to do that while his children were around ( not that it was right at anytime, but you know what I mean hopefully)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

ermahgerd wrote: »
    Guys, it's their culture and you have to respect it. Leave off.

You're havin a laugh, right?

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »

I didn't think being a scumbag was an illness that could be cured by medical treatment. Unless they give him a lobotomy.

That old innocent until proven guilty thing is proving difficult, eh smash?

Seanchai wrote: »

That old innocent until proven guilty thing is proving difficult, eh smash?
    He has been found guilty

He has been found guilty
    Uh, he has been charged. That's not the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

He has been found guilty

lol.. I hope you're never called for jury service :p

He has been found guilty

We must have some justice system so if he can be arrested interviewed charged and convicted in 48 hours..:rolleyes: Go Ireland Yeah..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

ermahgerd wrote: »
    Guys, it's their culture and you have to respect it. Leave off.

Is this supposed to be some satirical swipe at the 'Political Correctness gone mad' brigade who you imagine will rush to defend travellers' rights to beat each other up, even though no one is actually doing or saying that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Look, some people have an aversion to travelers and seem to be happy to perpetuate a line of "don't bother us and we won't bother you". Those people are happy to accept anything that travelers might do to each other as long as they don't infringe on their own, settled lives.

That woman (Jacqueline) did not enter her self in a bare knuckle fight nor did any of the other assaulted traveler women who find them selves physically abused by their spouses. Just because they are travelers doesn't make it acceptable for it to happen. If two men want to go and punch the heads off each other because it makes them look tough then so be it but these women are non-combatants and should be afforded the same attention and protection as settled victims of domestic abuse.

I know it is culture/tradition to beat on your wife "when she deserves it" but that admission does not justify the act. I acknowledge that it is done but that doesn't mean I condone it. It is a disgraceful scenario where a culture has developed where victims of abuse are not even aware of their rights in a so called civilized country like ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ermahgerd

You're havin a laugh, right?
    Haha yeah, I was saying it aloud as I was typing it and was chuckling all the way :)

Lads, he admitted it didn't he? So who cares if he's been charged considering he owned up.

Kooli wrote: »
    Is this supposed to be some satirical swipe at the 'Political Correctness gone mad' brigade who you imagine will rush to defend travellers' rights to beat each other up, even though no one is actually doing or saying that?
    They won't necessarily rush to defend their rights to beat each other up, but they will pretend that domestic violence isn't any more common in the Travelling Community.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement