Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for a Student starting a Small business. Wedding Invitations, portraits etc.

Options
  • 30-08-2012 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi there.

I am an art student and recently finished at my part time job.

I started making Handmade Wedding Invitations which I design by hand initially and offering my services for doing Portraits, Murals anything creative really.

Pretty much , If I can't find work that will suit alongside college, I want to try do my own thing rather than sitting on my behind and being afraid to ask Dad for that 'extra' bit of cash . ( If he has it he will give it to me, it's more of an independence thing for me I think )

I have posters up and new ones being done up at home atm for going up around the local area. I have got some business this summer so I have been lucky, I have been able to keep myself which is great.

I have an ad on Done Deal and have got some response which is great but I want to expand. I want to get a bit more word out there.

Also people with wedding invitations who are genuinely interested but Wont need my services for a year, how do I go about securing that deal? How to ask for a deposit without scaring them off?

Money wise I can't invest too much into this so any advertising and promotions need to be as cheap as possible and not to mention profitable.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated in this line of things. Really starting from scratch.

I'm in Longford/Limerick.

Thank you so much for your time!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭RoebuckWilson

Heya!

Facebook is the best way to go. We advertise almost completely through it and for something in design, its a great way of displaying your portfolio. Also we're starting to have some success from Pinterest; there's a big wedding inspiration thing going on it so your invites would sit really well I'm sure.

You could also approach some local shops about displaying your products. Do a small selection of basic blank cards and do a small portfolio of work and ask the retailer to display it also.

In terms of securing the deal, you could offer a payment plan maybe, like €X per month for the 10 months before the delivery date. It might seem like a good way of spreading cost of the wedding for people. Or maybe just have a clear policy of 30% on sign-off of your design, and the rest due on delivery. I think a significant deposit would also prevent someone from "borrowing" your design and going elsewhere.

Hope its a success for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Valdez

Hi Melena. I run a small print shop. If you have any samples of your invites I woukd be intrested in putting them in my print shop. To bad you dont live closer to dublin. I have been looking for a business partner for months now to make some money. I got 2 digital machines. Wide format printer. Silk screen and embordiery. Basically can print anything. Coild do a whole wedding package. Banners and invites. I will pay for samples.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Melena

I will PM you .

Keep coming with the advice I am taking notes! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AddisonsOwn

I have a similar question like Melena, but I'm looking to advertise physically does anyone know of cheap places who do nationwide delivery? My budget is tight and I've exhausted social media, I'm tired of it!!!!!!

• Advertisement

I have just made my own posters and laminated them! Don't know if it works out any cheaper but i get my paper for free so its just ink really! It's good way to start anyway!

Advertisement