Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classical Studies - How to start?

• 30-08-2012 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I've decided to do Classical Studies for my leaving cert, I've just started 5th year and I'm doing ordinary level Maths and Irish so I want an extra subject and classics seems like something I'd be interested in. But I have no idea where to start, I believ I need to study four topics, but what are the best ones to choose, and what books is their for each of them? I know there is a guide to classics study book but Im having some trouble getting it, but apart from that what books are needed for each topic? Basically how should I get started, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Here's the syllabus. (.pdf file)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭KOB33

Thanks, any advice on which topics to study/best way to prepare for exam in my own time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

KOB33 wrote: »
    I've decided to do Classical Studies for my leaving cert, I've just started 5th year and I'm doing ordinary level Maths and Irish so I want an extra subject and classics seems like something I'd be interested in. But I have no idea where to start, I believ I need to study four topics, but what are the best ones to choose, and what books is their for each of them? I know there is a guide to classics study book but Im having some trouble getting it, but apart from that what books are needed for each topic? Basically how should I get started, thanks in advance.

You can find the book on amazon.co.uk. This website has great links http://www.caiteachers.com/Classical_Studies.html. If you decide to do Greek Drama buy the actual texts, as you would for English, and that will be your bedrock for that section. The 'guide to classics' will not suffice for full exploration of all topics. You will have to invest in some other books also.

KOB33 wrote: »
    Thanks, any advice on which topics to study/best way to prepare for exam in my own time

I would suggest that Athens at War, Alexander the Great, Greek Drama and The Philosopher in Society are the least esoteric and would have more readily available resources for this level of study. In terms of study, just get through the content first and keep writing, writing, writing essays. The Chief Examiners Reports on examinations.ie will be a great help there. It's a fantastic subject, it really is.

I think I would do the topics you mentioned with the exception of the Greek Drama, as Id rather try Ancient Epic. Does anyone know if easons or local newsagents would sell the books for those topics?

• Advertisement

Any reputable bookshop will have The Odyssey and the Aeneid. You won't find text guides to these in Easons, though. Again, amazon is your friend for such things. Unless you live near a city, where you'll probably find great bookshops. It might be rather presumptuous, but I'm assuming you're doing History. If so, have your history teacher look at one or two of your Classical Studies essays for you. The style, structure and standard of both the writing and argumentation are incredibly similar in both subjects.

Gonna do some book shopping tomorrow, going to buy the guide to classic studies but what else does anyone think I should pick up to start off?

Easons told me today that the two Alexander books on the syllabus are no longer printed and they couldnt get any copies of them, is there any other books I could read up on him to suit the course?

To be fair, I think you're really fooling yourself with Easons. They're not a good book chain. You can find both books here http://www.schoolbooks.ie/School-Books/1413-0-Classical-Studies-School-Books.php

Advertisement