Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell won't replace laptop with equivalent

• 30-08-2012 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭

Okay, here's the story.
    About 6 months ago I helped pick out a laptop for a friend. Dell had a great deal going at the time on the XPS 17 inch (L702x) machine. It came to around €950 and had a top spec.

This machine broke down, something wrong with the multi-touch screen. Unusable.

A dell engineer came out to fix it and couldn't. He also stated that the laptop was faulty and really badly constructed. He even damaged it a bit getting off the keyboard because it was so badly put together.

Now they are only offering a replacement up to the 'value' of the machine we purchased, NOT an equivalent spec machine. Basically not honouring the good deal we got.

I think this is pretty ridiculous and seems a bit illegal as well. Surely they have give the full spec? He's already agreed to accept a 15 inch, and he has also been seriously inconvenienced by this as its a business laptop.

By the way, this has already been escalated to manager level, with same result.

So, is there anything we can do here? Anyone know our rights here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Your friend should not have agreed to anything. Dell should replace the laptop (which unfortunately has gone out of production) or offer a refund.

I suggest you contact the NCA on the matter, and definitely mention the DELL techie who diagnosed laptop as poorly manufactured. (You got his Name and contact number?)

National Consumer Agency

4 Harcourt Road
    Dublin 2
    Ireland

Opening Hours:- Lines open Monday - Friday 9am - 6pm
    Tel: (01) 402 5555
    Locall:1890 432 432
    Fax: (01) 402 5501
    Homepage: http://www.nca.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

He hasn't accepted anything yet, he's getting them to ring me tomorrow to try get a spec good enough for his job. I just want to know do I have a leg to stand on in demanding an equivalent spec machine.
    To be honest, you'd think they'd be jumping through hoops to get it sorted. I'd honestly expect an upgrade if anything.... Certainly not a downgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

'value' can be interpreted as the economic utility, in my opinion (IANAL).

Personally we give our customers 2 options: a replacement of similar performance, or the same dollar amount you paid for your laptop as a store credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You are entitled to a repair, replacement or a refund.

If you feel that a repair is out of the question due to it not being of merchantable quality, then you can argue and decline that option.

You have been offered a replacement machine. It must be of similar spec, not price as price fluctuates and is not a steady indicator. Since you have been offered a machine that is not up to spec I think this leaves you with the last option. A refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

The thing with Dell and refund is, they claim "minus depreciation" in their warranty terms. And in accordance with the funny formula they're using to calculate depreciation, the computer is rather worthless after a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

You are entitled to a repair, replacement or a refund.

If you feel that a repair is out of the question due to it not being of merchantable quality, then you can argue and decline that option.

You have been offered a replacement machine. It must be of similar spec, not price as price fluctuates and is not a steady indicator. Since you have been offered a machine that is not up to spec I think this leaves you with the last option. A refund.

Unfortunately the repair, replacement, refund options are at the manufacturer's discression. If they decide they want to try fixing the machine 5 times then they can.

I used to work on a contract for Dell about 5 or 6 years ago, for 12 months, and they were pulling this crap then too. Pulling out fine print and screwing the customer time and time again. Really not a customer caring company at all.

I think you should stick your ground and make sure to make a lot of noise. From my experience with them this is the only way to get a fair deal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

You are entitled after the failed repair to replacement or refund. They can and will offer the replacement to the price paid originally. They don't have to give an XPS. Your friend should push for refund and then wait for another good deal.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

eoin_mcg wrote: »
    Unfortunately the repair, replacement, refund options are at the manufacturer's discression. If they decide they want to try fixing the machine 5 times then they can.

I used to work on a contract for Dell about 5 or 6 years ago, for 12 months, and they were pulling this crap then too. Pulling out fine print and screwing the customer time and time again. Really not a customer caring company at all.

I think you should stick your ground and make sure to make a lot of noise. From my experience with them this is the only way to get a fair deal!

Thats not fully correct, a repair should be permanent. If the repair fails then the next steps are a replacement or refund (another repair may be offered but you can refuse due to above). A company can't just keep "repairing" a product to last for another few weeks until the warranty is up...

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Just to let you know. I dealt with Dell support on Friday for my friend. I made my points and explained that I regularly recommended and purchased dell machines and that the support that my client had been receiving up to that point was unacceptable.

They rang me back today and offered me a top spec machine. It more than met the spec of the previous as it was actually upgraded in 4/5 areas.

My faith in Dell support has been re-established.

Advertisement